• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tail or Lips?

coldasice

I have a question concerning the best method to hook minnows. I have had the best luck hooking between the dorsal fin and tail. It seems they stay alive longer and have better action. Don't the fish usually hit the bait head first? I suppose it depends on if you are using a plain hook, jig, or small spoon type lures also. Also, have you had better luck with pinched (cut in half) minnows (lips or back). Happy New Year!!

Well i guess if you were fishing for perch, i personally would prefer the head region. When they are swarming arounding perch seem just to suck the minnow right in thier mouth. I thinkt the the lips work well, but you can loose them quickly also....

I guys I do it both ways depending on what jig I am using. If its a vertical jig or spoon, I go through the back. If its a horizontal jig, like a Fat Boy or something, I go through the mouth.
To me, this method keeps the bait looking the most natural.
I have hooked fatboys through the back and had a big slow down, switch them back and catch fish again. Maybe its in my head.

Last year I started to hook my minnows parallel to the dorsal fin. So the hook goes in about the back edge of the dorsal and runs along the dorsal and the hook comes out just behind the skull. My thinking is that fish usually take the minnow from the front so this method would hook all the light or heavy biters. It really seems to work for me.

If I'm using a pimple or a jigging spoon I will usually start with the minnow hooked in the mouth. If the fish are inactive I will go with just the head. On a plain hook I will hook them in the dorsal fin. When using a plain hook, I've been adding a very small treble hook that just dangles off to the side of the bait. This hook seems to catch the light biters. I rarely hook a minnow in the tail unless I scrambling for some method of presentation to help put some fish on the ice.

On vertical jigs I have hooked some of my minnows in front of the dorsal fin. That way they dont point down and instead they stay more horizontal. If you are careful you wont kill them either this way.
On my horizontal jigs I mostly hook my minnows through the lips. Sometimes I even hooked them right by the tail and have caught fish this way.

------------------
AKA PikeEye 300