• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

US Reel Widespool... Honest opinions...

The_Lee

I am looking at purchasing one of the new U.S. Reel Supercaster 180 SX for a new G Loomis 5' Ultralight pole I just purchased. I have been reading that they cast up to 58% farther then an average reel due to the wide spool design. How ever I have read some less then impressive reviews on the Cabela's HSOforum about them.

If not that reel, I am looking at the Shimano Saros for the same reasons as above. I need some honest feed back on both of them before I make my final decision. Let me hear it folks...

I'd be interested in the same. I went to Gander Mountain last week to look for a 180 XL that got a great review in Field & Stream - they were out of stock, ended up getting a Shimano Stradic. But, if they live up to the billing they received in F&S, I'd definitely look to pick one up.

It's too wide for an ultralight, the same effect like using a 4000 Shimano size spool on an ultralight. You'd get so much additional line slap on the line guide as well as line rub on the spool lip, that you'll decrease your casting distance. Most people won't notice it, but my own naivety proved to me that a 1000 size Shimano does the best job on ultralight for cast distance. Wider spools aren't always better.

Thanks slipperybob, thats the answer I was looking for. Can you recommend any specific Shimano's that would be a good fit, I am gonna be using 4 lb. Berkley Transition monofiliment. I am looking for a reel that is smooth, yet easy to cast with lighter lures (1/32 oz.).

Any of the Shimano reels size of 750 to 1000 would work really well for ultralight and I barely notice the difference between long cast distance. The more obvious difference between the 750 spool and 1000 spools is spool length. The Stradic has been the best overall value for me, but now there's that Saros. I have some Sustains but you won't get any benefit from them unless you tangle into big fish with UL gear as they are very solid reels. The Sahara and Symetre's series had been good workhorse's for me but they do tend to be a tad bit more fussy when it comes down to unsuspecting line twists.

Keep in mind that cast distance or the ease of casting is mostly influenced by rod length, then line, then reel spool size, then distance to first line guide, the line guide material, then rod blank, spool line wrap, then spool lip, etc.,...or some kind of other influence like lure weight, line weight, wind, lure aerodynamics, or how much the line on spool. Other things like individual casting technique plays into it as well.

Ooops...I'm thinking too much...