• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buzz Stix: Made to catch fish or the fisherman?

BullsInc

Hey all

I received a Buzz Stix combo for Xmas and used it last night on some crappies. From my one experience it didn't seem to make much of a difference on the negative crappies. We threw everything at them without much success. Just wondering if others have used the Buzz Stix and whether the unit delivers what it promises?

BullsInc.

It will catch more fisherman than fish, I bought one before the ice was on and it is put away in the rod rack now. I found that it did next to nothing with more than 2 feet of line out and in the water, I also had a lot of trouble with the yellow rubber button falling off. This fisherman was caught.

I had mine out twice now and will not be using it again. I dropped a lure down in clear water about 3 feet and hit the button. I didn't see any vibration what so ever on the lure. Even dropped the camera down next to the lure figuring that maybe I could not see the lure properly. Camera was about a foot away from lure and no motion at all. The tip of the rod vibrated real nice though. LOL My opinion, it caught this fisherman twice. One for me and one for my wife. LOL

If I ever buy another Panfish ice rod it will be another St. Croix Avid. Can't beat it for light and sensitive.

Let me suggest to people who got taken by the buzz stick to try Berkley Micro Ice. I bet the line you have on it has to much stretch and that is why the bait won't wiggle. It is all important to have a line that will hang straight and has little stretch no matter what kind of ice rig for panfish you use.

I got caught! smile.gif
I wasn't too sure about it when I bought it but though if it turns out to be a great fishing tool I don't want to miss out and not be able to find one.
I am not all that impressed with it either.
I had to tape the yellow button on even before trying it out on the ice.
The buzzer on mine doesn't buzz at the same frequency all the time either.And I too can't really see the ice fly vibrate when lowered undr the ice.
Oh well I have lots of tackle boxes and a shed full of gear to prove I am a sucker sometimes! smile.gif
But you never know when a gadget or gizmo is going to change the fishing world.

Trust me, the line matters a lot. Any coiling or stretch and you lose sensitivity and the ability to wiggle the bait right buzzstick or not. With good line the lightest of shakes will be transfered to the bait.

I also received one for Christmas, the reel is very nice! The rod is also fine, the vibration is nothing that impresses me, but the clients like it. Had some out yesterday and they thought it was neat, and they caught fish, so it was good for them. I personally will stick to my Avid's and Premeir's. As for Avid's, I love them, but have broke two this year already. They are made in Japan, not by St. Croix.

------------------
Matthew J. Breuer
Northcountry Guide Service
[email protected]

Great News! Fleetfarm took both of mine back and gave me an in store credit as I had lost my reciept. I just told them that I didn't feel that they were doing what they were designed to do,and that I saw no vibration of the lure when pressing the button. Got a like Fleet farms return policies. I have also noticed that this year I have not been able to find a lot of little ice fishing things stocked at Scheels and have found Fleetfarm with plentiful stock. Whats with that. Scheels used to be the best supplied ice fishing store around. Are the big boys getting to em?

Hmmm this answers the topic on Buzz Stix I posted back on the 14th of Nov. I stated then that I was going to take a wait and see attitude. Should have done just that. Instead I went out and bought one. So you can count this fisherman as caught too!

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

Widetrack- I told my wife the same thing, she about socked me, but at least got a good chuckle out of it. LOL

My opinion on this rod..... is very mixed. Overall I think it is another gimmick to reel in fishermen. The point I think the company is trying to get at is, the vibration it gives is something that we has fishermen have a tough time duplicating, but my question is do fish like that vibration?? Still to be determined. I have caught a whopping 2 fish on my buzz stick and both times the hit was directly after a buzzzzzzzzzzzz!! So maybe it worked that time. Overall I haven't been impressed!

I have noticed certain lures work better than others. It seems to me that jigs don't get as much action as spoons do. Heavier spoons do not vibrate as much. I used an angel eye and it really fluttered.

So my opinion is the jury is still out on this rod. If anything to me, it is another rod to add to my arsenal and have rigged up. I think the reel is nice and I haven't had any problems with it.

Good Luck to everyone. This cold weather has to be making ice by the second.

May you drill your holes straight and bobbers stay under

Walleye #1

I too got one for Christmas, and I have experienced several of the problems listed on this thread. The yellow button fell off, it buzzes at different frequencies, and the drag on the reel won't stay set. I lost a nice walleye, or at least I assume it was a walleye, but I guess I'll never know now, because the drag suddenly decided not to work. Got the hook set, pulled the fish half way up and then zingggg, the fish was gone and when I pulled on the line to check the drag there was nothing there. I have caught ONE crappie after hitting the button, but that's about all of the success I've had with the button. Most of the fish that I have caught with it take the bobber down while I'm not even holding the rod. I'll probably give it to my little brother and use my old rods again. They're cheap, but they at least work like they're supposed to.

I was outfished by my friend 5-1 one night with the buzz stick. I had some curse on me and I could not get the fish hitting. We were hole hopping so it was not the holes, but to get the crappies and sunnies to hit he would just raise the jig with alittle buzz and he would catch them. Maybe it was just the night but for one day the buzz stick had a good note.
Very cheaply made though, and for 30 bucks a combo not worth it at all.
The combo should cost 10 bucks.
If there was a better made version and it stayed the same price I would buy it maybe.

What I decided I'm going to try is have my husband use normal poles and I'm going to use both of our buzz stix and she who catches more. I think that could answer all questions about it.or use 1 normal pole and 1 buzz stix. soon will see.
Good Luck fishing and be safe.

There is an alternative to using the buzz stick that I discovered last weekend after a night of 12oz curls...you can use any St. Croix rod (Avid, Premeir, whatever). While sitting on a solid surface and gripping your jig rod tightly, let one rip. Still doesn't catch fish, but I am happier with the way I spent my $30.
Just make sure the windows are open on the shack.
Go get 'em!

I was at Cabelas over the weekend and saw the things leaving the store with pretty good regularity. We all would have to admit that they wouldn't be the first device or lure that caught more fishermen than fish. Take a look at the rows of lures that look nothing like any baitfish I've seen. A couple of years ago the Mann Dancer was the "hot" lure. Can they even be found anymore?

I sometimes think there's a reason so many kids and old timers catch fish...they're less concerned with the "hot" lure and use simple or tried and true presentations.

hey agian.

So I got it from my GF for xmas, I didn't think much of it but let her use it the last time we were out fishing. She really liked fishing with it and thought it helped her. One thing she said to me which made some sense is that "It probably works better for someone who isn't that experienced in jigging. So I plan to replace the reel and let her use it.----She is smarter than I thought---"I will buy something that I want, give it as a gift, and hope I get to use it." I guess were both happy now.

BI