• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Spawning

Hey hope everyone had a good openor quick quesion for ya guys though at what temperature do walleys spawn, also does water clarity specify whether walleyeys spawn shallower or deeper i mean of course if the water is clearer they weill likely spawn at night but thanks for the help

I always thought it was around 42 degrees. I don't know about the water clarity question. My guess would be that they spawn wherever there is a little current and rocky/sandy bottom. That would be shallow as the waves would provide the current needed to mix the eggs and sperm together.....

Males will hit the spawning areas early at about 34 degrees and when the water hits 38 to 42 the big females join them. They are usually in post spawn by the time it hits 50. It's usually any time early April to early May around here. Some big females don't drop all their eggs. They reabsorb them.

Walleyes tend to spawn in water temps from 45-55 degrees. They need a windswept or current laden area with rock/rubble in less than 3 feet of water. Besides water temps, the angle of the sun plays a part. This is not a rule but a fairly accurate guideline. Nobody is exactly sure of what effects what because nobody can speak walleye.