• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

roughfish pics (updated 5/22/08 w/pics)

Aside from a quick outing tomorrow for my annual trout harvest, today was going to constitute the majority of my fishing for the weekend. Unfortuinately, I had some other obligations to meet today, so I only spent about 3 hours on the water. Good thing, since I ran out of a dozen crawlers by then.

The silvers are still going pretty good right now. This fish had some nicely developed tubercles

slrja0.jpg

slrtuberclesbi9.jpg

slr3jo3.jpg

slr4zi9.jpg

Golden Redhorse

glrin7.jpg

Buffalo

bibam5.jpg

I caught another beast buffalo. I didn't get a chance to take a photo holding the fish, The fish decided to swim away after I got out the hook and went to grab it for a pose. At least I got one with it still in the water.

bigbibtd0.jpg

Here's my catch of the day:

clamms2.jpg

Never thought I'd catch a clam on a wet fly.... crazy

Originally Posted By: Tyler Holm
Gotta love how each and every golden releaves itself all over everything.

yeah no kidding. how true!

hey pumpkinfisher, glad to see you've joined us over here. \:\) Welcome to FM!

DEADhead.great action and great sucker images!....I've been going to the St.Louis River up here (annual ritual of spring thing each year) grin and have been catching quite a few suckers myself.....I usually catch more redhorse then the "other" species(whites?) I think...here's a few pics from this weekends catch....all catch and release of course....I noticed the coloration on your suckers in the photos are different then in mine(the ones you have have white below the mouth and a darker"stripe" down the sides....just wondering what species I've actually have here.....I have caught the suckers you have pictured on another river.....just curious I guess grin

caught a bunch of these guys saturday,anybody know what species this one is?...ID!

Frame_P1020170-3.JPG

and sunday.... again ID?

Frame_P1020202copy.jpg

I noticed the coloration on your suckers in the photos are different then in mine(the ones you have have white below the mouth and a darker"stripe" down the sides....just wondering what species I've actually have here.....

Some more photos from this afternoon to share. Fish were taken on a size 10 golden ghost, except for the last fish.

wtskg8.jpg

wts2wd9.jpg

wts3fh7.jpg

Proof that even spawning suckers will take some meat. This fish took a size 4 clouser minnow!

wtsclouserqo4.jpg

Aside from the tenacious wind, it was a beautiful day out today. Hit one of my spots on the Upper Otter Tail and was treated to a pleasant surprise:

shrgoodzu9.jpg

shr5eb2.jpg

shortheads!

I was surprised to see all the shortheads up here this year, typically not many of them make it up this far the OT. It was tricky to get them to take a fly, as they were in the midst of spawning. Here's a male with some nicely developed tubercles.

shrmalewithtuberclesuy3.jpg

They are beautiful fish. I managed to also hook up with some nice white suckers.

wtsfemalelv6.jpg

wtswetflyuk1.jpg

wtsmalewithtuberclesnx0.jpg

wtsheadonbr0.jpg

All fish were caught on the fly.

This is the time of the year for big fish!

Caught several fish over 20 lbs today, including a muskie in the 50" range that I lost at shore cry I am almost always fishing by myself, and without a net. A fishing buddy (or a net) definitely would've helped me land that fish. Photos from today:

bopbigjk4.jpg

copreleasefy3.jpg

copshorepa1.jpg

copgoodlm0.jpg

bib2dc3.jpg

bibmt5.jpg

wtsou2.jpg

slrhe2.jpg

glr2qo5.jpg

glrxt9.jpg

The redhorse are about done spawning. The numbers and size of the fish are down from earlier in the month. The channel cats are on the feedbag. I couldn't keep them pesky buggers off my line. It looked like a bunch of them were starting to spawn.

More photos from the day posted on my blog.

The channel cats are on the feedbag. I couldn't keep them pesky buggers off my line. It looked like a bunch of them were starting to spawn.

Channel cats won't be spawning for quite a while. They're usually spawning in June-July whne water temps are in the 70s.

I should have gotten a water temp in the backwater area I was fishing. I know it's shallow in there, but I don't know if it was 75 already, hard to believe if it was. Any explanation as to why their fins, back, tails, etc. are all beat up? They had fresh red open sores that looked like they were rubbed raw. Plus I saw quite a few jumping out of the water like the redhorse and carp do when spawning. I thought they spawned later too, but they way they were behaving was confusing.