• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Over possession............

almosthaddabite

Why would the question make you uncomfortable? I hope it's not your conscience.

I was checked by the local CO this weekend on a small 200 acre lake and he told me that this little lake had more "possission" tickets, per acre, than any lake in his territory. According to him everyone isn't obeying the rules.

I got to thinking that the fines must not be enough. That's my concern.

Talked to a person I know this fall. Long story but anyway he had ONE crappie over his limit in the freezer. It was $125 fine and he lost all his fish. Not good, so we have to be careful when counting what we already have!!!

You usually get fined, suspension of your license, ALL the fish taken away and they can confinscateanything used to commit the crime. They will take your rods, your auger, fish house, and if you were transporting them they can hold your vehicle too.

Last year they passed "Gross Overlimit" laws that allow a judge to to throw the book at you if you've exceeded the limits by a huge amount.

My cousins cousins had a loaded gun on a 4 wheeler, shot at geese out of season with lead shot and no plug on private land while the game watdem watched it all out of his truck. and he was let go with a warning, people can get everyhting taken away, but i've never herd of more than just the fish being confiscated along with a fine.

He is pretty sure it was the ex. A little bit of revence I guess but how would she have known?? Who knows? Like I said a long story. As far as why the fish were taken, the CO stated they had to take them in case he would protest the fine, they needed the fish in their posession. I just told this story because this person is not an "outlaw" by any means, they were the only fish in his freezer. One crappie too many!!! Mistakes do happen and they can cost you so be carefull.

I think there are serious problems with the way they enforce the laws. One couple I read about had like 60 walleyes orver the limit. 600 bucks. I think it should be way more for the serious viloators. Another one that really bugged me a few years back on Nokomis was a family of fisherpeople(not really) who had hundreds of crappie, way way over the limit, although they weren;t licensed anyways, and didnt get fined because they couldnt speak english. Needs to be some serious changes as far as im concerned.

I third the motion to obey the rules, and that should seal it. Obey the laws as stated in the rules and regulations book, and you wont have to worry.
Nuff said

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Is it wrong to keep fish for somebody else in your freezer if they dont have a freezer or room for it? Does that put you over the possesion law? I know that one crappie would have been my mothers! Just a thought

I asked some of these questions to a CO a few years back...

If there are two people in the house with fishing licenses, you can have two limits in the freezer...

But...you cannot 'hold' fish for someone else in your freezer if you are over the posession limit.

Also, the posession limit in the jurisdiction in which you live (or have the fish stored) applies. For example, at one time I had a Minnesota and a South Dakota license. The question was...can I keep a posession limit of walleye for Minnesota (6) and South Dakota (8) in my freezer? A: No. You are limited to the posession limit in the jurisdiction where you live.

One question would be if I were to give some fish to someone...say, my grandmother...who does not have a fishing license. She keeps some in her freezer for a while. Would that somehow count against my posession limit, as the license holder?

I'm just guessing here, I wish I had some regulations with me, but I don't keep the fishing regulations at work smile.gif I think you can keep fish for someone else in your freezer as long as the package is clearly marked with the person's name, address, and fishing license #. Probably would be safe bet to leave the skin on the fillets too for identification.

Jarrod, I have a hard time believing that 'limit in the jurisdiction' rule. Lets think pheasants, are you saying that when I bring 15 birds home from SoDak and throw them in my freezer in MN that I'm illegal? Not! I think rule reads that if you have a legal licence - a SoDak licence - you can have that possesion limit in your freezer.

It's simple, if you have that many in your freezer that you need to worry about, just eat them. I don't see any reason to store fish or game in someone else's freezer to stay legal. Besides, we all know they taste best fresh.

What about the walleye fillets that are purchased at grocery stores? Most people aren't fisherman that buy those nasty things. tongue.gif A license is doubtful. Could those fillets be used against a posession limit? Should people buying fish be "warned" of possible game violations, or be informed to keep thier receipts? It's illegal to sell fish without some sort of permit, but it can be given away. Can you have a limit of fish and accept a "gift" of fish? Maybe a few smoked fish from a friend on top of your limit of fish fillets? And what about........Man, lots o possibilities.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck