• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where you buy your lawnmower

Tom7227

There have been a couple of threads about where to get a lawnmower.

My experience today reinforces my idea that dealing with a small guy specialty shop is the way to go.

My 11 year old Siimplicity wouldn't fire up today. New battery, all the safety switches were working properly. I jumped the two posts on the starter solenoid and the motor started to turn over. So off I went to my friendly dealer in North St. Paul. I put the old part on the counter and the guy went back and got the replacement off the shelf without even looking it up on the computer. I then told him what had been going on and asked if he had any other ideas. He told me about a fuse, went back and got the $9 part, and told me exactly where to find it. He answered my question about changing the oil in the trani.

I then asked him about a new push mower the wife wants for mothers day. He had 5 different models and explained the differences. I noted that his price was identical to the price in recent ads at the big box stores.

Put in the new parts and the rig fired right up. I probably saved a minimum of a C note plus I avoided the hassle of getting a trailer and hauling the thing in for repair.

Now, tell me that you could get anything close to that at any of the big box stores? I forgot to mention, when I bought it he delivered it to my house for free.

Maybe I could have gotten the parts cheaper on line, but then who would have told me about the fuse?

Buy from the local guy who knows what he's doing. Spend some money to keep him in business cause some day you're going to need him, and he'll be a lot more useful than some outfit from Arkansas.

You don't get that kind of service and you shouldn't expect it. They're just in the business to sell. One mall giant used to have a repair center near my neighborhood but recently closed it down.

I had a similar experience with the JD dealer I have come to rely on.

I tried jump starting my 22 year old tractor this spring after I cranked the battery down after its long sit. Something popped and it wouldn't go anymore.

I started opening things up and traced a chatter noise to the ignition mod. Thinking I had blown that out, or dead shorted the battery, I went to my dealer to get a new one, plus a relay that was in the system just to be safe.

He tests my battery and says its still good, then he recommends that I hold off on ordering the ignition mod because they're over $100. Just try this $6 breaker first and recharge the battery.

As soon as he said breaker (which was my "relay") it made sense. I put it all back together with the $6 part and she fired right up.

This is why I too have given him my loyalty and buy my whip, saw and blower/vac from him as well.