• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Popular Hatches

babbbb007

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find the most popular mayfly hatches in our area. I can't find anything anywhere else on the internet. Any information you have would be great! Thanks

-Matt

This is what I think we have in SE MN. I assume it is basically the same for western WI.

Baetis - late March thru April and again in Sept

Dark Hendrickson - early April to mid/late April

Light Hendrickson/sulphur - end of May to mid June

Trico - August and Sept

I imagine there are some other sporadic types that hatch, but these are the main ones and the time frames.

Ross Mueller's books have good details on the mayflies (and other various insects) of MN, IA, and WI. Sure, things vary a bit from stream to stream and state to state, but he's got a lot of great info there.

So they're not mayflies, but we've had a great caddis hatch this year...although that activity is likely waning a bit now. This is still a great month though.

Check out the flyfishing forum. I know that most people who frequent that forum also frequent this one, but you should be able to get some good info over there. Be a little more specific in the area you'll be fishing, the hatches up here are different than the hatches in SE MN.

I guess I could mention that the king of all Mayfly hatches is the Hex hatch and it usually happens around the 4th of July. It is short lived but provides explosive fishing. Certain waters have them, certain waters don't. I spend every 4th of July up the Gunflint Trail, which works out quite nicely.