• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Flash Light style depth finders

Gofishleech

I just got my MarCum LXi and have used it only once. The battery I picked up at Best Buy for about $13.00. I found the unit very easy to use. There was little snow on the ice and I just kicked it clean... spit on the ice... and set the unit to on & placed it on the spit!
It shot right thru and displayed the bottom. It took only a couple of seconds. Having found myself in 8' of water, I continued to move out on the point further... which saved me having to frill a hole and spend that time.
The unit is great for quickly locating depth and drops.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

I'm not sure I see the usefulness of the flashlight style depth finder, for someone that already has a Vexilar or Marcum flasher. You can shoot through the ice just as easy with a flasher, and then use it to fish. I myself just can't justify the expense for the product. Just my .02

I bought the strike master hand held when they first came out, hageld a clerk at scheels to 110.00, Totally personal preference, Its a great convience I think, Just simply walk along, squirt some water, and bink.. instant depth, or bink-beep instant depth and fish. a little less hassle taking your vex out. It fits in your pocket, a very moble unit, but now thier getting expensive, so why not add the price to your vex or morcum. They are handy though. Later boar

I have the Strikemaster model as well. I use it for pike fishing with tip-ups. I like the mobility of it and since my only reason is to locate depth, it works great. No sense dragging my vex. out there to just use as a depth finder. I dump a little water from my minnow bucket on the ice and shoot right through it. I don't need to drill so many holes to find the right depth and to me that means possibly spoking less fish. Who knows.

Northlander, don't waste your money. The vex will shoot through the ice just as good. I have an FL-18 and use it constantly to shoot through the ice. The only thing to remember is to add the ice depth to the reading. You will save a lot of money. I have always had an acurate reading with using a little water with the vex. I guess if you were just scouting out an area and wanted to go light, then the LX-1 would serve it's purpose. Just my 2 cents, not trying to argue w/anyone as I'm sure they have had excellent results using this item.
Dan

Just put my new LXi to use and it's neat. The readout is where it should be, on top. It can shoot through three feet or more of ice, as long as it's not busted up and layerd. It's the slickest thing for locating structure. With an LXi and a self lighting torch you can read read read until you find what you're looking for. It beats dragging around a flasher with a dangling transducer.

Ron Anlauf

Sure, the Vexilar will shoot through the ice but it does not fit in your pocket. I have used mine for about 3 years now and would be lost without it. Finding structure is a snap, just push the button and you have an instant reading.

I use the LX-i and it is a great unit. Yes, my LX-3's will shoot thru the ice but I don't like to use my units for this and this is why:

No matter how careful you think you are, eventually you are going to bang your transducer on the ice or drop it. This is not good! Most people fail to realize how important it is that you keep your transducer from getting banged around. I now use my LX-i for shooting thru the ice and save my LX-3 for fishing.

Usually I bring a water bottle with me but if not the good old spit trick works just as good.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
(320)293-3287
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I bought the LX-I a few weeks ago and I love it. I have used my FL-18 in the past but this is quicker and easier. The FL-18 works just fine...but I like the fact that the LX fits in my pocket....I just slow down on my sled, spit on the ice, check depth...and if it is not what I am looking for...I just keep going...never even have to get of the sled. Yes, I am lazy at times.