• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Butt length on musky rods

If you were going to build a custom rod for a new musky fisherman, how would you determine the butt length? Would you take a forearm or entire arm measurement or simply let them try a few rods with varying butt lengths to see what they like? Is there a 'rule of thumb' for this?

I usually measure the distance from the center of the palm to the inside of the elbow for the butt length on a walleye rod. Musky rod you usually are doing a two handed cast so you would want it longer than that. How much is a personal preference thing.

Cooter,

On the musky rods I have made recently, they are all 16-18 inches to the middle of the reel seat.

Having said that, your idea to have your customer try some thing out is best.

I like a longer butt section because I hold my reel out away from my body more than some. I also don't like to have the end of the rod get caught up in any jacket or clothing when moving the rod for casting.

Let them try out some different lengths. Observe where they tuck the handle under their arm and how much they need to clear the side of their body. Check where they like to hold the handle when they cast.

If you talk to them and set it up for them, it is truly a custom made rod for them.

Good Luck,

Mike Wallace