• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cheap Coyote Gun

fishinbros

Originally Posted By: DonBo
Cheap? Check out a 17 HMR.

Not even close to enough knock down power! start with a .220 and work your way up from there! A coyote deserves a clean kill just like eveyother animal!

Caliber is your last decision to make,

Choose a good rifle within your budget, Mossberg ATR, Stevens 200, Savage, H&R, NEF, CZ, figure out what you want it do.

Adjustable trigger, weight, 3 position/ Tang/ side safety, blind box mag or not, rifle twist, with or w/o sling studs.

Think of it like buying a car (make, ie. chevy / remington, ford / winchester, dodge / ruger, etc.) set your budget, choose your accesories and options, then choose your model(caliber, for coyote anything .22 centerfire and up, imo) from there customise it, reloading or ordering specialty rounds, bedding, glassing, working the crown, etc.

Again just my opinion but you will be happier then buying you may not really like and really don't know anything about.

Good luck,

My main yote killer is a Rem 243 Auto. Hornaday makes a 58 grain bullet that is flat shooting and fast. Not only that but you can use it for deer also. I also have a 17 HMR which has taken a few yotes without problems plus the bullets are $10 for 50 instead of $25 for 20 like the 243.

22 mag or WMR is acceptable but it is also just a little light. Not much mind, but still just a little light. Like Walleye12 says you want to make a clean kill not let the animal suffer. I would look at a .223 for any kind of varmint hunting or something along that caliber. Maybe a 6.5 like the gun that got Kennedy in Dallas. It is a cheap bolt action Italian rifle you can buy for a few dollars and ammo is relatively cheap for it.

A better caliber is the .303 or the venerable 30-06 loaded down to about 150 grains for this type of shooting.

Don't think cheap here. If it is good enough to kill it deserves something that will make a good clean kill. Sure you can knock something off with a .17 or .22 or some other caliber. You can also kill with a blow gun. My question is "WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?"

Anyway, listen to what the others are telling you. Get a gun that will knock them down and walk all over them. Something that will make sure they never get up after the first shot. It doesn't have to explode the critter but it should put it out of its misery.

Think sniper school here. ONE SHOT-ONE KILL!

Originally Posted By: UncleKes

Sure you can knock something off with a .17 or .22 or some other caliber. You can also kill with a blow gun. My question is "WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?"

Still scratching my head on this reply? Maybe I should quit shooting my bow for deer and go back to a gun. Why would someone want to use a 17 HMR to kill a yote? Well 1. You need to call them in closer. 2. You need to take more things into consideration i.e. cover, cover scent, calling skills. 3. A 17 HMR is more of a challenge. 4. The cost to purchase a 17 is pretty CHEAP like the poster asked. I have enough confidence to put down a yote up to 200 yards on a calm day.

I second the deer rife. Cheap because you may already have one, and you can buy tons of different ammo for most calibers, and it will hone your skills for deer hunting. .17hmr and .22mag, are not much good beyond 100 yards and in alot of times yotes will not even think about coming in that close.

I would agree that if you already own a deer rifle to go with that. As far as a coyote gun goes, I have shot them with a 243, 22-250 and now have a .223. All are great calibers for coyotes.

As far as what model gun goes, check out all of the different gun suppliers and then go from there also knowing what the ammo is going to cost if you are on a tighter budget.

I have a 223, 17hmr, and a 243 that I have taken out calling with before, besides the shotgun. My 223 is in an AR-15 format and is my go to rifle 90 percent of the time. I have a savage 243 that I hand load 58 grain vmax and 62 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades for. The only time I take the 17hmr is at one farm that has a good population of fox, so it is not a coyote rifle caliber in my book.

You can get a new savage model 11 (synthetic) in 243 for about 340 bucks.....I would start at the used rack in some of the bigger stores and look for the 22-250 and 243 and there are even some .223's out there too......

Good luck........Not sure if there is a lot on the used racks right now, maybe later in the summer........

I think the guys above are right, a 17 is a bit small. All though I have a friend the swears by it. He like the up close and personal kills and a 17 gets that done for him. If you are looking at costs I think the .223 is an all around gun there is alot of mitliary surplus rounds around for little to nothing and will put a hurting on a yote. I have another firend with the AR-15 and that would be mine weapon of choice but again it carries a nice price tag to boot. A mini 14 is another nice yote gun, light weight caries an nice distance and again will put a hurtin on a yote.

Not to change the subject but where do find the .223 surplus shells, we shoot quite a bit of praire dogs and looking for

inexpensive shells, so if you wouldn't give out that info

if would be appreciated. Back to the rifle I have all of the

above mention cal. and the .223 definalty has the range and knock down power, but if you are shooting within 150 yards

the 22 mag or the .17hmr would be fine, the 22 mag is by far

the less expensive to buy sheels for and ruger makes a nice

rifle in that size, you can rattle of shells and the barrels

stays fairly cool. Just my opinoin and have shot alot of shells

through all 3 sizes and like them all and all fun to shoot.

Go with a H&R 22-250, 223 or 204 ruger. $200 but spend the money and get a good scope. 17 hmr are great guns but not for coyotes. I was out crow hunting with a 17 and had a coyote walk a field line right to me I shot him at 35 or 40 yards in the head. He hit the ground hard got up and ran and slow down 50+ yards away and I made a lucky shot hiting him in the lower neck. The head shot was behind and under the eye. I skined him and the bullet was flat and between the skin and skull. Plus if you want a close range weapon shoot a hand gun or bow.

I guess i missed the lesson on shooting game in the head. At 35-40 a 17 would have been plenty to kill this coyote. I guess I aim for the heart when I use my 17 or any gun for that matter.

Savage in 223. The savage is cheap and the accutrigger is top notch. I have never heard of a savage that wasnt a shooter. 223 ammo is relatively inexpensive compared to other centerfire catridges.

Go with the 22-250 i use mine for yotes at the cabin and p-dogs out in SD .. you can ask your question to a hundred different people and get a hundred different answers it all personal preferance ..i love my 22-250 it fast,accurate and light i only wish you could use it for deer...

If you buy a rifle no matter what it is make sure its comfortable to shoot and you can carryit all day if you have to ..