• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TROOPER SATURATION

#Boater#

beretta - I hope I didn't come across as anti-cop. I am not. I have 100% respect and appreciation for the good ones. And I guess I was wrong about the radar deal. My uncle retired 10 years ago or more so maybe things have changed since then. I guess it is a real safety issue for the officers and for the motorist if they want to see it on a busy road.

I have had some bad experiences with cops. First one was when the officer accused me of speeding when I wasn't. If he hadn't let me go, and I went to court and told the judge I wasn't speeding and he said I was, who wins? Still seems like a lame way to handle things and waste of tax payers money and time.

A few years ago I was speeding in a south east suburb. I got caught. Fine, I have no problem pulling over and accepting my ticket. $90 and an angry wife taught me a lesson I needed to learn. The officer did not however have to do a felony stlye arrest on me for going 16 mph over the speed limit because she couldn't tell what color my car was (winter, dark out, salt on the car) and she thought I was somone else she'd had problems with in the past. Couldn't my license plate have told her I wasn't some dumb kid she'd had a fight with a couple days earlier? I'm not asking officers to not make mistakes, that's asking them to not be human, and it's impossible. But think a little bit, that's all I'm asking.

When my wife was a victim of credit card fraud, the police department in the city the crime was committed wouldn't help us. They said they couldn't do anything. We even showed them the brochure that they provided to us saying that they would let us file a police report (that's all we wanted to do so we could send it to the state attourney's general office). They still refused. So 15 minutes to fill out one form is too much to ask. Thanks. So glad I pay taxes for that. I wish I could turn people away when they ask me to do my job. To protect and serve, as long as it's convenient I guess.

Growing up the police chief in my small town was the biggest crook of all. He stole from a local business until he got caught (thankfully) and ended up in prison.

I'm sure for every lazy bad cop there are 100's of good ones. I just wish I could meet a few when I need to, rather than ending up frustrated.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say-der,

I have a couple of quick comments for you. It seems you have had some unpleasant experiences with police officers and that is unfortunate.

I don’t know the situation about your neighbors shooting and I apologize if this seems a little cold but…. police officers can seem indifferent in what a citizen views as a traumatic situation. The reason is that most officers have been in these types of situations time and time again…and after awhile…we just learn to deal with it. I can remember the first time I worked a case in which a drunk driver killed two college kids after his car left the road way. It was very traumatic for me. I couldn’t sleep two days. Over the course of the next 9 months I worked three other crashes that resulted in four more deaths….and yes…I am sorry to say it but, I just got use to it. It’s hard to believe that a person can get use to picking up body parts off of the roadway but its true.

Even with this in mind, officers still should be supportive towards the victims, their families and anyone else involved. As a matter of fact, when I graduated from collage in 1991, I was employed by a US Senator in Washington DC. A few years later, my roommate and I were witness to the rape and murder of one of our neighbors. It was a very traumatic experience but the contact I had with Law Enforcement was excellent. They were very supportive. Over the course of a year, we were involved in providing a police artist with a description, identifying the suspect in a line-up and testifying against him at trial. This whole experience changed my life and my view of police officers. I moved back to MN and went back to school for Law Enforcement.

Please believe me when I say that the vast majority of Police Officers are very good people and work very hard. I have difficult time with people that group all officers together because of the actions of a few. Think about it for a minute…is that fair? I am now a detective that is assigned to work cases of sexual abuse against children. I spend my days talking with children who have been sexually abused and the men and women that like to have sex with children. Would it be fair for me to group these offenders together by their occupation? If so, I would dislike all bankers, insurance agents, Boy Scout leaders, pastors, contractors, truck drivers, lawyers, nurses,etc. Of course this would not be very logical. As I stated in a previous post, idiots come from all walks of life.

You stated in an earlier post that you wished you could meet a few good police officers. Have you considered a ride along with your local department or even your high school friend? I think you would enjoy yourself and perhaps you would be enlightened by the experience.

Please don’t take my comments as an attack against your opinions/views. I am not trying to convince you or anyone else that Police Officers are the greatest or that we deserve any special attention. We don’t go looking for people’s sympathy, we choose this career for the good and bad of it.

Ok. I'm young fella just got my first DWI. Pulled over in DL on the way to the hunting shack in Greenbush. GUILT!! Yes, we stopped at Lefty's officer. Yes, those are open beers. Do I feel I'm drunk, why ask. Truthfully it's up to your tests to determine that because it doesn't matter what I think. And why put me through all the sobriety tests then give me a breathalyzer anyway. Police report shows I did everything correctly and efficiently however the intoxilyzer 5000 says I was at .11. WHY WASTE BOTH OF OUR TIME WITH THOSE SILLY TESTS in subzero temps.

Can you imagine if we were still living in the early 1800's. No policeing...they would just shoot yah! c'mon people,these people put their neck on the line everytime they do pull you over,there's a good chance,they might not survive that even...drunks have been known to hit them while their pullin you over...use some common sense...exercize common sense and remember it's
still only a priveledge!

Support the Cops and State Troopers!

who else is really gonna watch your back?!

I would have never thought that putting a reminder out to all my fellow outdoors people would create such a great discussion. The original inent was to just remind all of US to slow down during the holiday season and really pay attention to our driving so we can make it through the holidays safely. Now that they are over with can we relax? NO. Cliffy and Saddie have made some very great points. I understand completely what both are saying. I work in a jail that books nearly 50,000 inmates a year. Yes thats 50,000 all brought in one at a time by hundreds of officers. Maybe thousands. Allmost all the Officers I deal with are very normal people doing a very difficult job. Unfortunately some are still learning to deal with those tuff times. Some are burnt out. But most know its another day on the job trying to do a good job. We all become accostomed (sp) to what we do. To see a human being go balistic and smear feces all over them selves doesn't bother me as much as the first time a saw this kind of mental behavior nearly seven years ago. Because a Police Officer doesn't react to a difficult situation does not mean they don't care. Sometimes we even laugh during some of these tuff times. This does not mean we don't care. Sometimes it's what we need to deal with it. Thank you all for the great discussion and please give the Officer the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks to all the officers who wear the uniform and protect us every day. You are all heros in my book. I'm thankful to be the wife of a police officer and very proud of him and all the others who work to keep us safe. May god protect each of you.

I have 5 cops in my family, and I have worked as a police dispatcher in Montana and in Minnesota, I have seen things that would amaze most normal people. I also have 20 years bartending and bouncing experience,in big metro areas. Alcohol and drugs can turn a person around 180 degs. I have seen many, many good cops, and just that occasional bad apple.
I wish cops had more authority. I think their hands are tied behind their backs.

Boy , I bet that last sentence will cause a RUCKUS!!!!

I've been avoiding this thread, mainly because it had not much to do with fishing. smile.gif

I enjoyed reading the responses here, and cliffy, you give some good, honest input. In fact, I believe we even know each other. I lived and worked in close proximity to you in Moorhead.

If you are who I think you are, I find this surprising!
"I find it funny that when I meet new people, we seem to hit it off...and when they find out that I am a Law Enforcement Officer…that say, “I just cant believe you’re a cop. This makes me wonder why people have such a predetermined idea of what a cop should look and act like. The men and women that I work with are just like everyone else."

You should see the looks I get when they ask what I do!! grin.gif

Oh yes, Chuck, I do know you. So, what suprised you about my post: "

"I find it funny that when I meet new people, we seem to hit it off...and when they find out that I am a Law Enforcement Officer…that say, “I just cant believe you’re a cop. This makes me wonder why people have such a predetermined idea of what a cop should look and act like. The men and women that I work with are just like everyone else."

Please excuse me, it's been a long day. smile.gif

I got a different impression from that statement....For some reason I thought I read you hit it off with others until they find out your a cop.... my bad.

Yes, there is a huge stereotype on officers. Some live up to those stereotypes, most not even close. I wouldn't guess your a detective, but then again look at me. LOL

What a small world! I agree with your statement...some police officers don’t do much to help change the stereotype…and that is too bad. I also agree with your last statement…...my wife even calls me “Colombo” due to my unorganized appearance and sudden attacks of complete memory loss….LOL. Take care Chuck!

My opinion is if a police officer stops you and you know you are in the wrong or doing something against the law, be a man/woman and except the punishment. You shouldn't be mad at them, you should be mad at yourself. I guess I would rather have them take a droke driver off the road then be hit by one on my way to fish. Just like has already been said, Yes there are a few that are just looking for a easy ticket but don't hold it against them all.
Go fishing and be happy for what you have.
Good Luck and be safe.