• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transporting Lantern.

iffwalleyes

I need some advice on how you guys transport your lanterns in a sled style fishhouse. Every time I put my lantern in my otter by the time I get to where I am going the globe is busted. I as woundering if there is something you can do to protect them more than junky little plastic case that came with my Colman propane lantern. Any suggestion is appreciated it is getting expensive buying a globe every time out. I have already broken 2 this year and I have only taken my lantern with on the lake 3 times.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I had the same problem, started wrapping the glass with my hand-wipeing towel, still a pain, so I bought one of the small, single mantel lanterns from Coleman that screw onto the 1lb. propane tanks and it's been great--plenty of light and takes less room.

I'll add my 2 cents. I have an Otter with a pull over and got tired of everything bouncing around so I took three (drywall) buckets with the covers, cut them off about 8" below the cover and fastened the covered end to the sled bottom with 1/4" carriage bolts and machine washers. All my gear(heater & tank, bait bucket,lantern, etc.) get packed into 5 gal. buckets that set in these sleeves. I have some egg-crate foam that wraps around the lantern. You can put three sleeves and buckets in line in a medium Otter and have room for your auger along side of the buckets. When I fish, I use the buckets for my seats. Works great for me - maybe will for you if you don't mind drilling holes in your sled. My lantern is 25 years old and still has the original globe.

I unscrew the top of the lantern and then I cut a hole in a piece of foam so it conforms to the lantern mantle holder and put that on there then screw the top back on (this holds the glass tight so it doesn't bounce around). Just don't forget to take the foam out before you light it! Haven't broke the globe since I've done this. Good luck

I just picked up an unbreakable lantern globe. It looks more like a circular screen. I bought it at sportsmans warehouse for $6. It dims the output of the lantern a little bit, but I never run mine on high anyway. I saw them at Gander last year as well but never bought one then. Works great.

Tim Gustafson