• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you use for lights in your portable?

Animal

Just buy a $7 (automobile) dome light (Kmart, Walmart, auto stores,etc) and run 16 gauge wire (red/black) along your portable's frame...attach some electronic clips (to attach to battery) to ends of wire and attach the other ends to your dome light...voila'! This runs off 12 volt gel cels (Vex style batteries)...I attached the wire to the frame of my FishTrap with those nylon "zip ties", works great!

I prefer a small propane lantern but I've had the same problem with broken mantles & globes. Last season I switched from the 2 mantle Coleman with the larger globe to a smaller 1 mantle Coleman. It's more compact & very durable. The globe is small & the glass is thicker. I've had the same mantle on it for over a year, which I can't believe because I had to replace them just about every trip with the old lantern. It's still puts out plenty of light & heat too. I haven't noticed any difference. Great value for about $20. I used to worry about the globe & mantles breaking every trip, but now I just put an extra glove over the small 1-mantle Coleman & it's fine. If you have a 1-2 man portable, check out the smaller 1 mantle lanterns. Vern

I'm with you Vern. I either use the 1 mantel coleman or a single mantel Century propane lantern from fleet farm. I have made a nice small wood box that I slip mine into and havent ever borken a mantel or globe yet. I also carry along a Princeton Tech "Aurora" just in case, and because it is so small I can have a back up with minimal bulk. I always like to have at least two light sources, nothing worse than being stuck in the dark.

------------------
I fish, therefore I am.

gvg_uwec
Are you transporting it across the lake in a sled style house. Everytime but one this year when I take my otter and hook it to my 4 wheeler I have broke the globe and wrecked the mantels. If you are then your luckey they aren't breaking because colemans plastic case really don't offer much protection. It is time for a change if I don't get the northstar I asked for for christmas I am going to the hardware stor and will be purchasing some topper lights for my house.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

I use something similar to the others who use a 12 volt power source: a garage utility light-the kind with a little cage over it and a hook to hang it. Cut the plug off and put alligator clips on the wires. Screw in a 12 volt bulb and your's ready to go. I run it off my marine battery that I also use for my electric lazer. No fumes, no mantles, no hassle (except the weight of the marine battery)

I use something similar to the others who use a 12 volt power source: a garage utility light-the kind with a little cage over it and a hook to hang it. Cut the plug off and put alligator clips on the wires. Screw in a 12 volt bulb and your's ready to go. I run it off my marine battery that I also use for my electric lazer. No fumes, no mantles, no hassle (except the weight of the marine battery)

I have one of those small portable jump starters, it has two cig lighter plugs and use that with a snowmobile head light,buddy made one and plugs into mine too, it has high and low beam and the charger will last for weeks before needs charging.Also nice to have a long to start others trucks at the access

I have 2 simple battery 2D cell operated lights. I got them at walmart(About 6.00 each) They are round with a globed lens the handle swivels all the way around and I can turn it so it hangs shinning striaght down. The light can be adjusted from spot to lamp, and they are good on batteries I use rechargeables I get about 15 hrs off a charged set and 1 light will light really well but I have 2 along in case.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

I know this had been brought up last year, so I'll throw in my two cents again.

FISH TRAP PRO: I use a petzel like 3 led head light. Lights up the house real nice and makes for using 2 hands all the time with no problems! No hassels with worrying about burning a hole in the tarp.

OTHERS: I just use a lantern. I know I'm regressing from the single fish house set-up, but it's the only thing I feel comfortable with and light enough where a guy is still "portable"

My buddy just recently bought an 2 man Eskimo tent, similar to the Otter Cabin. Nice tent, but he put a small battery and has lights hooked up so he doesn't need a latern. I like the STADIUM EFFECT, but come on.....it's like pulling a sled full of cinder blocks...heavy,

Good thoughts/ideas from past posts.