• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Questions

WildEyeSouthernBoy

Hey guys, been lurking for a few weeks and have picked up some good info. I live in the South and will be going Ice Fishing in MN in January. I've got a couple of questions for you experts.

1. What type of line do you recommend for a spinning reel that I'll use to jig for Perch?

2. What type of line do you recommend for Tip Ups? Brand names? Poundage?

3. What type of leader do you recommend for Tip Ups, set up for Walleye & Perch? Brand names? Poundage?

4. Recommend an On-line Store that I can obtain the above.

Just want to get set up before my trip.

Thanks for your help!!

You asked: 1. What type of line do you recommend for a spinning reel that I'll use to jig for Perch? - Berkley Vanish

2. What type of line do you recommend for Tip Ups? Brand names? Poundage? Braided tipup line, and depends on what you're chaising for line test. I'm using HT brand, on sale.

3. What type of leader do you recommend for Tip Ups, set up for Walleye & Perch? Brand names? Poundage? Put on your tipup line then a swivel then berkley vanish and your minner.

4. Recommend an On-line Store that I can obtain the above. Cableas, Gander mt I assume have websites.

Hope this helped.

A medium action ice fishing rod, a reel with a decent drag spooled with some quality six pund test is a good all around setup. Do yourself a favor if you are going to be chasing Walleye's and Perch, get yourself some jigging spoons. Lots of choices everyone has their favorites, personally I love Ivan's. Also try Swedish Pimples, many many more to choose from. Enjoy!!

A ZEN MASTER

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I can get the Vanish local.

Got a HT Signature M/L 27" ice rod. Got plenty of light spinning reels to use. Guess I'll spool it up with 8lb Vanish.

Gonna stop at Gander Mtn on the way to the lake for fishing licence and will look at the jigs.

I'll find some braided Tip up line. Probably go with 20lb or so.

Thanks!