• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Sonar would you get?

waterdog

You know what the cool thing is about having two companies going nose-to-nose with their products? They'll both get even better. That only benefits us, the consumer.

My vote is with the MarCum LX-3. Clean and crisp display, outrageous power, adjustable zoom. I'm not sure I could ask for anymore.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

[This message has been edited by Ray Esboldt (edited 12-24-2003).]

Hey, cwmn...I have a couple questions about your Lowrance. Those units are kind of intriguing to me.

First, how does the screen handle the cold weather; and is the flasher function real-time, or is there a delay (like a graph style depth finder)?

Just curious...

I have only had the Lowrance out once, it was in the 30's temp wise, but the guys at Thorne Bros told me Lowrance tested the x67c up in Canada last year and it worked fine down to -28, apperently the coldest they could find. I used to use my Eagle Magna view, wich is a LCD graph, for ice fishing and it worked to -20 the coldest I ever fished with it, and it never froze up.
The Lowrance and Eagle graphs have what's called Fastrack wich gives real time in graph mode, the x67c is real time in both graph and flasher modes. Evan my Magna View, wich is 6 or 7 years old is real time, jig the jig and you see it on the screan.
I am very impressed with the ice machine so far, again I have only had it on ice once, but the ability to have both a flasher with zoom and a graph with zoom and a split screen graph with movable zoom is great and like I said before I needed a graph for the boat anyway.
The only thing I would change is the soft pack the unit is in, it's a little bulky and kinda unrully.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

[This message has been edited by cwmn (edited 12-25-2003).]

MJ5- Sounds good, just give me a call like we talked about!

Yeah....with 2 products out on the market, it does making a decision that much more difficult. If, BIG IF, Marcum does a better job marketing it's product, it will take a big market share away from the industry leader Vexilar.

Good luck with your choice.

FL-18 Ultra Pro Pack, or the FL-8 SE with the optional Ultra Pro Case and duel beam 19/9.

I decided to go with the first configuration this season. It was a difficult call, I was 50/50 sold on the FL-8 SE as well. But the New Ultra Pro case is just to darn handy to pass up. I find for my needs the FL-18 with the Ultra Pro Pack and the 19/9 transducer has all the tools I need and use most often and find the most productive.

Lots of very good options out there this season, it's tougher then ever to make that leap.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Hello i am new to the site. Looking at all of you comments on the FL18, and the other flashers, I was woundering if anyone had the FL8. For the most part i am a poor high schooler and only have about 500 bucks to spend at Cabela's on my next visit. I know that the zoom on the Fl18 is really nice and everyone tells me that it is worth the extra 100 bucks, but is there any good things about the FL8? Thanks Matt

Fish Trap,
Welcome to Fishing Minnesota!

I used an FL-8 for years before I switched to the LX-3. The FL-8 is a good flasher and will get the job done.

Another flasher you could look at is the LX-1 by MarCum. The LX-1 is basically the LX-3 but without the zoom, digital charger, and carrying case. The LX-1 has incredible target separation and everything is very crisp and clear. A good choice for those who don't want to spend the money on the LX-3 but still want a lot out of a flasher. Check out the LX-1 at this link:

LX-1 by MarCum

Or else feel free to drop me an e-mail with anymore questions or post here.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
First Choice Guide Service

[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Been out with my LX3 a few times now. I was with my nephew who has the vexilar. When you put the 2 side by side there is no comparison in my opinion. The crisp seperation and the brightness of the LX3 is substantially better than the Vexilar. I had a Vexilar for 5 years before making the switch. I loved my vexilar and would not fish without it, but the LX3 is simply a better flasher, but thats just my opinion.

Yea, my friend has the Zercome Marine Flasher and it's very nice, I was planning on getting the FL8, but I guess ill have to look into the LX-1 then too. I am going down to Cabeals' on monday the 29th, so ill have to check them out when i am there. As i said earlier, i have around 500 bucks to spend, but i would also like to get either another shanty, or just some gear...thanks, ill have to look into it more now!!!

Fish Trap: I have, and still use, my FL-8 SLT. There are a couple of nice features on the newer models (FL-18 and LX-3) that would be nice, but I just haven't been able to justify spending the money to upgrade.

I would guess that there are a few others like me in that respect, as well. You would probably do just fine with the FL-8 or LX-1...

Fishtrap,

The extras on a LX-3 or FL-18 are really nice, but by no means are they essential. A LX-1 or FL-8 would serve you very well. Even a used flasher or a reconditioned model would do the trick. Heck, I fished with a Si-Tex FL-6 for years. It still sees occasional service.

A depth finder's features don't catch fish. It's just a tool to take some of the guess work out of the equation and make one a more efficient fisherman.

------------------
Ray Esboldt
MarCum
Stone Legacy

Hello went in to Cabelas to get a Vex 18 and came out with a LX3. My 2 fishing pals both have 18s so I hope the Lx3 works.Cabelas did say I could exchange if I didnt like it.It was a very difficult to choose after reading all impute on GREAT Site. One thing this unit didnt have operatot manual just asome instruction on the side of box. The box was unopened. Great job all the posts ,really enjoy reading them. Ice is getting thicker ND Fish are biting.

Hey Eye-exist!

I have an FL-8, and I NEVER thought I would have a desire to have a new unit. All the hype on the FL-18 and The LX-3, I thought was just that, HYPE! I look at a new product and wonder, Is this going to help me catch more fish? I thought Nope, nadda, no way, could either of those units be any more effective than my old friend my FL8. Boy, was I wrong! I had a chance to use PWaldows for an hour or so, and I was SIMPLY amazed at how crisp, and clear the unit is! As for interference, I really did not have a problem with my FL8 next to the LX3. So, My next quest was to check out the 18. I had a chance this weekend to fish with an 18. Good unit, but I did not find it nearly as impressive as the LX3. The lines were not nearly as crisp. We were fishing crappies, and on my old FL8 the fish looked kindof like globs, no way to differntiate each fish, on the LX3 each fish was easily recognisable, on the FL18, it was a little better than my old 8, but not enough to convince me to buy a new 18. I WOULD be convinced to buy the LX3! It was AWESOME to be able to use all 3 products in a short time to compare! I still have an FL8, but I am DROOLING when I can finally get that LX3!!

Cory Frantzick

------------------
View 99% of the homes on the MLS at:
www.AtHomeOnTHeLake.com

I would suggest that anyone in the market for new sonar check out the Lowrance Ice Machine. I had mine out for the first time the other night and was most impressed. (Let me add that I have used an FL-8 for many years)
Highlights include:
* 256 color VGA screen,high resolution
* Numerous color combinations to meet individual tastes.
* TFT screen good to at least -30 deg F. Thorne Bros. rep said good to -70 deg F.
* Battery status on screen.
* Extended battery charge - non-motorized design reduces draw on battery.
* QUIET
* Split screen w/ zoom in flasher and graph modes

Negatives:
* case is marginal...zippered flap has a mind of its own.
* transducer support arm contraption is poor - I converted mine with a vex float and rubber stop.
* I have read about interference issues but have not experienced this. Thorne Bros. rep assured me that interference is not an issue. wink.gif

I bought a LX3 this year, got a great deal through a pawn shop, the unit is exacatly the same as offered in local stores. as for interference, I fish in the same house with another guy that is using a vexilar fl-8, we both recieved some interference, but were able to delete it by utilizing the IR button on both units. I have had 3 fl8's in the past 5 years. and now the LX3- either way- great units for ice fishing. try buying a used unit if you want to save some money. check out this sites want ads or up-north.com and also hsolist

ive been fishing with a fl-8 for quite a few years now and i really loved it. But recently i bought the new fl-18..... and wow its wonderful its got the split screen feature. Im a guide on red lake and for these shallow lake crappie's ...it works great....i wouldnt go with anything else!!!

------------------
www.bearpawguides.com