• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Refurbish FL-8 or MarCum LX3/FL18?

fivebucks

What would you do. My 15 year old FL8 needs a new motor and battery for about $140.00 Should I do that or bite the bullet and spend the $400 or so for a FL18?
Money is a bit of an issue but I could make it work. I ice fish mostly for eyes. The big question is, is the bottem 6 foot lock make $250 worth of differenc?

I have had the fl/18 for two years and find that in deeper water the bottem lock gives you good target seperation ie bottem vs fish or jig vs fish.But the real reason for the bottem lock is if you wanted to put it on your boat the bottem won't move around in waves. Just my 2cents

In my opinion it's worth it. I never use mine in the "Normal" mode, always Auto Zoom mode. Bottom Lock is a different mode used for boats, AZ is the mode to use in the winter. The zoom is worth every penny.

I love the AZ in the winter. (I go for eyes in the winter mostly)Then I added the mag sheild this year and the colors are so bright now! How does that Mc Donalds commercial go, I'm lovin' it!

In the summer on my boat it stays in normal mode.

my .02

Don't.overlook.the.FL-8-SE.

It.is.a.very.good.option.
if.a.zoom.is.not.high.on.your.must.have.list.

You.will.gain.many.more.nifty.features.in.the.FL-18...tough.call.

The.FL-8-SE.is.a.very.good.tool.for.the.price.

If.you.liked.the.FL-8.SLT,.you.will.love.the.New.updated.FL-8-SE.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Thanks for the input. It's a tough sell to the wife. She just sees $150 vs. $400, guess I made the mistake and told her the truth instead of "I need a new one". If I do go the refurbish route I'll have to get a couple of extra trips to make up for my sacrafice. I think I really want that AZ feature plus all the updated technology over the years. I think I bought this one around 1985 so it has given me great use over the years. I'll have to sleep on it I guess.

fivebucks, The cheaper option for you is to get a reconditioned FL18 from the Vexilar service center. Since you already have the charger, box, battery, etc. from your FL8, just get the bare FL18 and swap it in. It should save you about a hundred bucks. That's what I did, and it came with the same warranty as a new one.