• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dogs ice fishing

FDMKB

There is no animal on the planet that is a bigger slob than the human kind. There are some people out there that make dogs shine.

At least what they leave behind is organic and biodegradable. Beer cans, beer bottles, whiskey bottles, plastic bottles, and bags of assorted junk will be there long after that pile of doggie doo doo has disolved frown.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bring my dog all the time. She's a mature chocolate lab. She sits quietly on a wooden carpeted box in my shack. Perfect size for her, just used to keep batteries, and all things stinky (fuels) in it.

She loves fishing as much as duck hunting. I love to see the look on her face as she stares at the hole when you drop a fish down it.

She likes to visit as all labs do, but my rule is that I keep her away from others unless someone obviously wants to pet her. In my experience there are more dog lovers out there than those that get peeved. Most fisherpeople enjoy a 30 second break to look up at a happy dog's face and give them a 'chopper petting'.

There is one exception to this rule of mine. For you guys who are extremely adamant about a no dog policy, make sure you are not the guy setting up within arms reach of my house and drilling holes at sunup or sundown. To me, this is as disrespectful as leaving one's garbage on the lake. And as a result, my lab will be let out religiously to go to the bathroom, and of course, visit you repeatedly to make sure that you experience some displeasure with your prime time as well....yes, it's true, I use my dog to do my dirty work.

There are no animal trespassing rules for frozen public bodies of water!!!

If you feel comfortable bringing your dog to the lake then bring your dog.......

Most (Not All) cities have leash laws and those need to be obeyed, but beyond that...it's your right to take your dog wherever you want.

For you guys on the site arguing for people to leave their animals at home, deal with it.

If ya want to change a law than move this to the political forum and vent away, otherwise just shut up and fish.

[This message has been edited by wastewaterguru (edited 12-29-2003).]

last year my dog froze both his nose and his balls while sitting patiently outside waiting for me. I had never had this happen to a dog before and was a bit surprised.

I felt pretty bad for the mutt, and ended up rubbing silvaden cream on his sack twice a day (he seemed to enjoy it).

It seems like I have seen this thread on boards for just about every outdoor activity there is. I think it is a more complicated issue than just bring them, or don't bring them. The owner is responsible for the behavior of their dog. If a dog is unruly, or doesn't listen well, then leave it home or keep it leashed.

I often bring my dog ice fishing (and summer fishing, camping, backpacking, jogging, etc.) When there are other people around, he is kept on a leash or check cord so that he can't bother people who don't want to say hi. If the area is deserted, and the fishing is slow, we will toss a stick for him, or whatever. Often times, we will meet up with other people who have dogs, and they can run and play together. For the dog owner, it's all about being responsible with your pet, and respecting the privacy / wishes of the others on the ice.

For the anti-dog crowd, don't knee jerk and say "no dogs" because some people have poor manners with their pets. One of the things that is great about having a dog is that you can share these outdoor experiences with your pet. As long is the owners are respectful enough to keep the dog from interfering with your experience, then don't attempt to interfere with theirs by saying dogs have no place on the ice. Having my pooch along is part of what makes it fun for me. I also get annoyed if someone lets their dog run around free in a crowd of fishermen. That's just impolite and disrespectful. However, I have found that to me the vast minority of people who bring their dogs fishing. I think some folks tend to remember the one disruptive dog, but forget about, or not notice all sorts of well behaved ones, because they are not a bother.

I have had my fishing disrupted far more often by peoples kids than I have by their dogs. The kids get bored and start running all over the place, and yelling and screaming. Does that make it OK for me to say "Leave your **** kids at home, they have no place on the ice."? It comes down to responsibilty, either as a parent or a pet owner. The worst part is, the parents whose kids are doing this usually say something like "Lighten up, they're just being kids." I'm pretty sure that "Lighten up, they're just being dogs." would not go over well with the same people.

I will get equally upset by being hassled by someones ill behaved child or dog.

Take it all as you wish, and remember, it's just fishing. It's supposed to be fun, right?

Bingo. Well said Climbmda.

I bring my black lab fishing, she is always right at my side. That's how I trained her. If I am fishing with a buddy that doesn't like dogs with, I leave her home. Respect is the key. Personally, if someone else's dog roams up to me, I pet it. I don't get all fired up and start cursing.
If ice fishing is so wickedly intense that it brings out wrath towards a dog. That person needs to get a new hobby. Maybe volunteer at a nursing home and learn some patience. I save my wrath for the golf course, fishing is supposed to be RELAXING!!!

[This message has been edited by Fireforge (edited 12-29-2003).]

Agreed.

However, to both sides of the party.

Ice fishing is different than fishing out of a boat. With a boat, it is the unwritten rule to stay away from other boats, due to respect.

Ice fishing can be somewhat like that as well.

However, the vast majority of people ice fishing in the metro area are not meat hunters, nor are they trophy fishing. They are out for the enjoyment of the big picture. That means, talk'ng with other folks, having a good time, laughing at the unknown guy next to you, as he slips on the ice, running to a flag.......(man, is that funny........)

HOWEVER, it doesn't mean that you disrepect others, by your actions, you dogs, your kids, whatever.

It is all about repect.

I'll be honest. When I fish the metro area, I'm out burning time, enjoying hooking panfish one after another, or tip-up fishing for pike. 99% of the people I see on the metro ice appear to be of the same attitude. If a dog comes through just to visit, I have no problem. If the dog becomes a pain, then I do.

HOWEVER (again), if I'm fishing first ice on LOTW, Mille Lacs, or any other good body of water, where I'm walleye fishing for serious fish on clear ice, where movement does spook the fish............Keep your flippin dog away, because that (to me) is my personal prime time that I've reserved for myself. I don't want people or dogs, or whatever bothering me. When I'm packing up to go home, come talk to me, or even if I'm setting up. When I'm leaving, I'll share everything with you.

It appears that it all boils down to RESPECT. If you or your actions cannot be respectful, then stay off the water.

I love dogs, but in the same breath of air, there is nothing worse than a bad dog. I have all the time of the day for a good dog, mine or yours. They are fun. Give me a bad dog bothering and tearing up my gear, and you will get an ear full...........

As one person said, most dogs are good at heart. However, it doesn't mean that you let them run at free will.......

Be respectfull to other people..........Because if your dog takes a leak on my portable, I will be sharing the courtesty right back at you........If you appologize, and it was a honest mistake, where the dog ran away, while you were trying to retrieve, I'll turn the other cheek. However, if you laugh at your dogs actions, while it destroys other peoples property, you are in the wrong.

As for the health of the dog.........If you are not educated enough as to what is safe or not for you dog to be on, the best advice I can give you is speak to your Vet. Don't take other peoples advice on what you should or should not do. My dog is different than yours. Yes, they are tougher than you think, but don't put the dog through misery, because you think they will be ok. Your vet will have the answers for you that fit YOUR dog.

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

Hey dere now, I wasn't meaning to gross out the squeamish sorts with my antecdote about my dog Willy's frosted privates.
I was just relating a somewhat serious thing that happened to a pet while out in the extremes of Northern Minn. This dog was full grown at the time, he is a pretty good dog (needs the shock collar once in a while to remind him that "come" means get your butt over here -PRONTO!) but he's a more or less spaniel mutt that turns out is not as hardy in the cold as other dogs I've known.

I guess that one of the reason we like dogs is that we enjoy watching their boundless enthusiam and energy, and thats one reason we take them hunting,camping, and fishing. But dog owner's need to realize that their pet's can be terribly annoying to others. (I've gotten to hate campgrounds because there are so many NOISY MUTTS)

If your dog needs to run, let him run down a country side road, or a deserted stretch of the lake - not all over at the fishing hole where others are trying to relax and enjoy themselves and their family and friends and the wonderful outdoors.
If he won't listen and respond to commands take it as an opportunity to train him right - put the shock collar on him and zap him when he won't stay or won't come.

I think I'm going to complain about my own dog now. I've found a good spot not far from the cabin, but the little chicken would rather be on dry land at home rather than out with me. What kind of lousy dog is that?

If I let him out of the truck, he wants to run home and when he is in the truck he whines because he doesn't want to be on the ice in the Truck. Of coarse once there is decent snow cover on the lake he will no longer know he is on the lake and it will be all good.

grab da net, I laughed so darn hard that I still have tears in my eyes. I went through the same thing when my dog decided to sit in my campfire. Only I sprayed him with a pain reliever disinfectant. Now that I think about it, he kind of enjoyed the spray can. They really can smile! Thanks!!!

Last January my Alaskan Malamute pup was with me on the lake and we were in my home made portable with one of those blue tarps. Then we got a gust of wind that shook the place pretty good and my dog freaked out and his back end fell down the hole. Fortunately I grabbed the little fella before he fell completely in. He ran out of the house and never came back in. Now he is much to big to fit in the house much less fall through the hole. Now I plan on letting him pull my portable around.

I had a 4 or 5lbs pike outside my house one year and heard a dog outside my house sniffing around. You should have heard him yelp when that northern grabbed him by the nose. The owner of the dog came over and pryed the fish off the dogs nose.

i not sure what could be done about this, but twice this year 2 diff. dogs [PoorWordUsage]ed on the corner of my protable. that kinda bugs me. if i pee on it, will they think its my territory and leave it alone?

PJ4, probably not! he will just have to mark it again to make it his again smile.gif Personally I dont take my dog fishing with me, but if a dog comes over my way, he will probably get some food from my wife, and a lot of pet-pets from us all grin.gif

Dogs have their place, but I donot think it is out on the ice, unless the owner is right there taking care of it. Not everyone wants to be screwing around with a dog that is someone elses responsibility. You did'nt bring your own dog, you came to fish! It does'nt mean that you donot like dogs, it means you want to ice fish and not be bothered by someone elses dog!

It would be different if you could give them a pat, or a scratch between the ears and they would go back to their owner, but that is'nt the way it normally is....they will mark your gear, or your house, grab your fish if you put them outside, sometimes growl at you if you try to stop them, they tangle up your lines if you are fishing outside, grab your bobber if you jig it, drink out of your fishing hole although there are 10 open around you, they get hooks in them from those tangled lines,
they bark continuously, while there owner is hollering at the top of his lungs, "come on streak...streak, come, come boy, streak, streak, good boy, streak, come on, streak, streak,....on into the day! Streak could give a fat rats butt what the owner is saying! If by chance he does come back, he will do the smae thing in about 5 minutes anyhow and it starts all over again! They try to get into your house, they try to get into your vehicles, they get into your minnow bucket, and they are fond of eating nasty deposits that are left on the ice and I think you know what I'm talking about! I've seen a number of dogs do it and that really endears them to you!

Take them up to the park, take them hunting in the fall, let em run around the yard, if you want to be 100% responsible for him, bring him along, otherwise let us ice fish in peace.

I ahve read through all the pages. Frozen nuts that is the funniest damm thing that I ahve ever heard still laughing. Poor guy (the dog). I brought my dog out for hte first time this year -- oopps. She never left my side- at all. Another words, peed on my foot, [PoorWordUsage]ed in the corner, and the worst farted non-stop for hours. Nothing worse than a dog fart in a small area.

TO THE PEOPLE WHO THINK IT'S FUNNY TO HAVE AN ANIMAL'S BODY PARTS FREEZE BECAUSE THEY WERE SO STUPID TO LEAVE IT OUTSIDE IN SUBZERO WEATHER, I WISH YOUR BALLS WOULD FREEZE TO THE ICE AFTER SOMEONE LOCKED YOU OUT OF THE HOUSE.

I WOULD LAUGH FOR YEARS!