• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dogs ice fishing

FDMKB

Hey;
as much as I love dogs, and enjoy taking my Ivy lab wherever I go, she is too hyper for the ice. She would have a hey day, playing (or bothering) other people.

I love dogs, and a good dog coming to me for attention or to play, is enjoyment for me.

However, as stated, there are people who don't appreciate it. Even the slightest sound on the ice can spook fish. Have a guy working a flasher for a walleye and a dog spooks it........there's trouble coming.........

I've had dogs trip my tip ups and generally don't care. It can be a lot of fun playing with "sporting" dogs.

You have to admit, having a dog sneak off with a walleye is funny. But yes, it will put a guy over the edge. Especially if the day is slow and it is a good eater. I don't want a chewed up, slimed walleye, if the owner gives it back. If I have two walleyes to feed me and my woman, and a dog just chewed up one.........The owner is going to be coffing up his fish!!!!!!!

If you can manage your dog on the ice, bring him!!!

Watch his paws, and get him off the ice. Dogs are stronger than you think, but if you are bringing out a "house dog", make sure you can put him in the truck, as an "outdoor" dog can handle the cold much, much better.......

The point comes down to this. There are two different types of ice fisherman.
1: I'm out to ice fish, talk with people, see who caught what, catch a couple myself, enjoy a nice sunny saturday on the ice.....

Then you have:
2: I'm utilizing my precious time to catch my fish. Don't bother me, don't watch my secrets, stay away from my hard earned jackpot that I landed on, while I enjoy my momement of success.

Both types are great people, just different objectives. However, you are going to cross the later if your dogs violates "his area".

Be aware and respectfull. And take care of your pup!!!

------------------
Let 'em go so they can grow!!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with big G! My dad's yellow lab is so hyper that I would never take him with me because he is too hyper to handle off the ice and i wouldnt want to bother people trying to fish hard with all my yelling trying to keep him under control. On the other hand my black lab is luckily mellow enough that if he has to get up to follow us out to a tip up..by the time we finish bringing it in and reseting the tipup he is already back at the shack sleeping in his spot so i really think that it is really just a matter of the dogs personality and how well the owner can handle them.

I live on a lake, had neighbor dogs come up just so happy to see ya and get tangled up in my tip up line. Do I get mad, no! I just don't want the dog to get hurt. Dogs are pure at heart.

I just hope that people can control there dogs, I have two and are always under my control(loose or teathered). I'm not sure how the laws are reguarding dogs and ice, but the water is public domain.

I certainly don't want a vicious dog, cat, gerbil, or any pet coming after me with teeth showing, but I think we all have to take a deep breath, step back, and think, "HOW WILL THIS AFFECT ME TWO WEEKS FROM NOW"(other than an excuse for not catching any fish)! I won't!

The whole world is changing, and it just seems that this dog bothering me on the ice junk, is just an excuse for having a bad day at work, home, fishing and so on.

It seems that every one needs to complain about something to justify other things.

Started with snowmobile, now ATV, next dog restrictions! Do we need more government- NO!

How many times have we heard of dog problems on the ice? It happens so seldom, that if it does, I hope people can just brush it off and enjoy the outdoors as it was meant to be.

If a large buck clomped across the ice next to your ice house, would you complain and the noise scared your fish?

Have fun, be happy, and ask the wife for forgivness. Be Safe- RR4

I would never go out alone ice fishing WITHOUT my 2 Labs.
I feel much safer with them, and there great company, and warm too!
I always keep them inside with me, amd they make GREAT helpers each pullong a plastic tote for me making it much easyer to get all my stuff in one trip.
They love going with me.
why not bring your "Best Freind" with??

thats my opimion,
Fishdog.

------------------

Once while I was fishing I saw someone’s dog step on a uncovered ice auger, needless to saw there was lots of blood and one very fast trip to the vet for some stitches, and for the dogs that like to chew on frozen fish sometimes there is a hook that has been left behind by some careless fisherman.

During my 40+ years of ice fishing I have seen many fisherman bring their dogs on the ice. I can recall very few situations with bad results. I normally don't leave my fish on the ice so that has never been a problem. I have seen dogs "mark" other people's shelters, which is not cool.

Just remember your dog's behavior is a reflection on you. A dog is a dog, a dog not controlled has a stupid owner.

Just have to add my $.02. I will take my dog, a Siberian Husky, out ice fishing with me if I know I am heading either a lightly used lake or a lightly used portion of a lake. She is not as ramy as a lab, but she is very friendly and thinks everyone wants to be her friend. If I am going to a lake or portion of the lake that I know will be fairly crowed she stays at home.

I don't want her to be a pest to an unfriendly or dog hating person, because she will at least go over and try to greet everyone smile.gif I don't thinks she would steal someones fish, but I ain't too sure either.

My old dog Moose was the perfect ice fishing dog. he knew which was my permanent house, he stayed close, and he couldn't abide panfish flopping on the fishhouse floor. He would hold them down until they stopped flopping, He had his blanket in the corner where he laid down to chew his rawhide bone. When he wanted to go out, he had a 50 foot leash attached to the fishhouse door.
If you bring your dog out, control him, and don't let him or her bother other fishermen.

I take my dog everywhere. I think as long as you respect the fact that not everyone likes dog and you keep yours under control that is fine. It gets my dog out of the house, gets her some excercise and gets me some company. I have many more kids come over to greet me than I do dogs. (that's ok, a kid that is interested in fishing does not have time to get into trouble) My dog has a rug that she sits on when I am in the shelter, if I check my tip-up I will allow her to follow me out there. I have met many other dogs while on the ice. Sometimes I get a little nervous as my dog is only 12 pounds and the other dogs are usually large dogs, but it seems that anyone that brings there dog out does so because the dog enjoys it. I would rather greet a guy and his friendly dog than try to strike up a conversation with the hard core fisherman who is obviously not wanting to talk to anyone, and is very bothered that you tried to strike up a conversation. there are many other things to worry about, like the guy who has to bring the generator to his fish house and have to listen to that noisy thing all day. The dogs are usually quiet.
Have a safe holiday.

I have had too many dogs lifting there legs on the houses and stealing fish. I don't think the hardwater is a place for running and BARKING dogs too many fisherman just let them run and that causes trouble. Last year there was one running all over the lake and got run over by a snowmobiler, he was going way to fust but even he shouldn't have to put with a dog chasing him all over the lake. When he finally found the owner, he chewed him out for running over his dog, even though he picked it up and went looking for the owner. That guy didn't stick his head out of the house or even care where his dog was. Sorry guys just had to many experiences with neglegent dog owners. If you are on a lake by yourself then go for it, just keep that thing away from me(laughs). Nothing worse than finding a big pile next to your house or yellow stain on the side of your portable if you go in for lunch.

I am a dog lover, and I have never seen or heard of a dog lifting his/her leg on a portable. If that happened, and I found out about it in time, I would find the owner and expect some sort of compensation. If it's YOUR dog, its behavior is YOUR responsibility.

I have been icefishing for 15 years. I have had gloves, hats and fish stolen from my sled, as well as tip-ups wizzed on by hyper labs. My recommendation is leave the dog home unless you are going to leash the animal. The sad thing is the owners think it's funny. Now Whenever i have a "Stray" dog come over they get slush balls thrown at them.

As that I don't have a snowmobile, ATV, or 4x4, my Norwegian Elkhound Soren helps me pull the portable around a lot and ice fishes with me often. Unfortunatly he isn't stong enough to pull it all by himself on snow. I often don't bring him out on crowded lakes or will keep him in the truck, which he prefers to the ice anyway.

He has [PoorWordUsage]ed on Cyberfishes portables plenty of times, which I think is hilarious. But anybody elses stuff gets him chewed out.

1 Problem, he doesn't like clear ice in the daytime and will work against my direction sometimes to get onto snow. The way the ice is this year makes it a bit tricky with the patchy snow and glare ice.

Yesterday I brought him out by Truck to where we have been fishing around a bend and about a 1/2 mile from where I live on Platte Lake. While drilling some new holes, I lost track of where he went and he wasn't coming when I called. His inclination is to go to the near shore where there are trees and things to explore. I set out to find where he went figuring he was up in somebodies yard. I found his tracks in the snow and the little doofis had followed the shore all the way home. Which was fine cause I needed a pitstop anyway.

My biggest worry when I bring him out is other dogs. My dog might not give a rip about people but when he sees another dog he isn't shy about making an acquaintance.

PS. Nobody has to worry about my dog stealing fish. He pays fish no attention except when they are dead smelly and washed up on shore in the summer because he thinks it's cool to roll in them.

[This message has been edited by Basspastor (edited 12-27-2003).]

I can't understand how a dog owner can say their dog is "cute" if it [PoorWordUsage]es on someone elses fishhouse or stuff. Jeeze, there are too many kooks out there. One time, one almost bit my son who was just 5yrs old. Then the owner is telling me....oh he's harmless! I also love dogs. But why do I have to put up with something like that? Doesn't anyone get it? If you can't keep him under control...or have to yell at him every other second...leave him HOME!

I second that. though the dogs are a problem, they are not as big of a problem as the "PIGS"! cig butts cans bags dog poo all over the late ice can make it frustrating.

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

If a dog is well behaved, and that means stays next to you, I don't see any problem with bringing an animal. Dogs do need some protection if the temps are cold. Snow and ice can form in the folds of their paws. You can purchase dog booties from the Wintergreen Shop in Ely, MN.

www.dogsledding.com