• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dogs ice fishing

FDMKB

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always remember courtesy towards the other fisher/people out on the ice. I don't mind seeing a well behaved dog rumping around on the ice, but when they come over to my house and relieves themselves on my fishing equipment or decides to pick up my fish thats another story, all of a sudden fun turns to frustration and anger.

I have taken the family dog out to the lake with me before. She does like to go visit the other fisherman she can see. It makes them a little nervous since she is so big (St. Bernard) but once they get the big nuzzle and the kiss (If they aren't ready to defend themselves)they usually warm up to her right away. I don't think there is a problem with the dogs feet on the ice. There is usually snow on the ice anyway and the dogs are in the snow all winter. I can understand the frustration with other dogs marking their territory and leaving a signature for other dogs to find. That would make me mad to. I am glad my dog doesn't lift her leg on people's stuff.

Id check with a vet. A vet friend of mine said that dogs that spend alot of time on the ice are more likely to have problems with arthritus and stuff???
And remember that to some people there is nothing more annoying than a barking dog....

they do make boots for them.I also have a retriever and after some time in the snow he will try pulling the snow out of his paws.so the boots help and they're not that expensive. you can find them at GM inwith the dog supplies

I was out on the lake Saturday and a person had his dog with him. The dog ran all over the lake checking out other people that where fishing and barking at them. A dog should not be allowed to run about freely. I have a dog and it goes just about every where I go except ice fishing unless I am fishing a remote area. Remember that not everyone are dog people.

One thing that is upsetting to me is the guy next to me yelling at his dog all day and the dog barking all day. I like it peacefull. If you bring the dog take care of it and dont just let it run around. Those ice holes are leg brakers. Dont get me wrong I love my dog but I dont want to burdan others.

Regarding taking dogs ice fishing. Keep an eye on them, there are still some morons who use antifreeze to keep holes open. Dogs seem to like the smell/taste of antifreeze tainted water and it is highly toxic to them.

I love my dogs, and most people really like most dogs, but you don't have to like them. I can see how an unwanted or unexpected dog approaching someone could be off-putting.

Always control your pooch. For everyone's sake.

I would say leave poochie home if you aint hunting. I had a couple nice perch stolen from me by a yellow lab on Fish last year. Makes me wonder if he was trained to do this. Another thing? the people that live on the lakes should have the respect/courtesy to tie up thier dogs, so they are not chasing us out on first ice I had this happen on Fish last week big arse dog barking and chasing out at me. Tie them up! or keep them in the house.

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

[This message has been edited by frozenminnow (edited 12-27-2003).]

frozenminnow, now we are getting someplace with this. Why would I appreciate a friendly pooch coming over to my fishing spot and licking my face after it just finished using its tongue to clean off its private parts? I've had dogs for over 6o years, and love them, but they do have their place.

Their needs to be a "bleeding heart liberal-teacher", post I understand the frustration over dogs being "out of control." I find no purpose to bring a dog out that is maybe to young or to "hyper." and that will just be a nuisance. I have brought out my black lab out for about three years, since she was a small pup. There were a few interesting moments but 95 percent of the people were extremely understanding. I have had dogs take things from me and you know what unless it's a trophy fish I appreciate being out there so much I find it very easy to, ""get over it."" Especially if the owner is decent and respectable about it's just fine! It is not my lake.

I have my yellow lab with me whenever I'm fishing and have my truck on the lake. She has NEVER left my immediate area unless she's retieving her bumper (Bryce is right about being cautious about letting them run on ice) She's spent so much time on Red Lake I'm surprised she and Halad's dog haven't run off together....She spends most of her time in the back seat of the truck and gets out every couple hours for a break and a run. I never leave her alone to wander off and bother others......but than again, this dog gets more excited when I set up the portables in the garage or grab the minnow bucket than she does when I grab a shotgun from the safe or my hunting boots grin.gif

As long as the dog is well behaved and doesn't bark and annoy others bring them along !!!... If not.....leave them at home !

We always bring our Choc Lab with us. We just take the chunk of carpet that's in his truck kennel and throw it in the sled. When we hit our spot we just drop his carpet and he's got his spot set up b4 we do. You can tell when his feet are getting cold as he tries to crawl up into your lap to get off the snow. Then he spots his carpet and hits that. Like others are saying though, keep them close as not everyone likes dogs. Have fun.

I once had a Golden Retriever. I lived on a lake, and the dog was trained to fetch the ice scoop from one another when needed. While I was busy helping out at a ice fishing contest, she stole about 15-20 ice scoops. She had them all piled in my ice shack. I was mad at her at first, but everyone else thought it was funny. I wish I would've trained her to fetch thermos bottles, it was a very cold day if I remember right.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

Seven or eight years ago a midsized mutt ran up to me while I was fishing on a small panfish lake in Itasca county. My gloves were on the ice and he grabbed one and beelined for the horizon. Three years later the same dog brought the same glove back to me, somewhat chewed but recognizable. I forgave him.

Ice

My Yellow Lab rides on ATV's, snowmobiles, fetches me bottled beverages, so he's welcome to fish with me anytime! Aluminum cans punture so easily that he figured out how to get an easy drink! grin.gif

Keep the dogs inside, never let them roam.

My in-laws had an old lab who couldn't wait for the ice each year. That dog would hit the ice as soon as fishermen arrived, and spend most of the day checking 'em all out. It was funny to see how many of the regulars would have treats ready, and often the dog would spend an hour or two in a shack, warming up and socializing.
Unbeknownst to any of us, she had also decided to become a fish gatherer.
One fine Saturday we were visiting, and a very red-faced fellow arrives at the patio door, screaming about death and destruction and skinning dogs alive. When he finally settled down enough to talk rationally, it turns out he watched helplessly as the dog grabbed a walleye from outside of his shack and ran back home.
Putting on a jacket, I headed out to the dog house, to find old Maxer peeking out, looking totally innocent. Opened up the back door of the house, and there, laying in the straw, was a walleye. And another. And another. And about 6 northerns. And a bunch of perch. And a bunch of crappies and sunnies.
It smelled pretty awful. She had been burying her trophies in the straw, and apparently then sleeping atop the mound.
Yelled at the dog, who just rolled over and prepared for pain.
Handed the guy his walleye, and he stomped off in a huff. Cleaned out the dead fish, yelling at the pooch each time another fish was found. The dog just crouched there cringing with each new discovery. After the last of the fish was removed, the dog comes up and sticks it nose right between my knees - I swear the dog was crying!
That was the last time - at least that I am aware of - that the old dog stole a fish. Until the arthritis and dysplasia finally confined her to the porch, she continued to roam the lake during the winter, visiting her friends.

frozenminnow,

I was on Fish Lake last night and had an older yellow lab steal a 16" walleye. Looked outside my shack and saw the dog trotting away from me and realized something was up. Looked outside and 'no fish'. Yelled at the dog when he was 50 yards away and he turned back with the fish in his mouth, but kept going in the other direction. The more I yelled, the faster he went? I think he has done this many times before. Live and Learn.