• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fish house const

upnorth

I was just talking to a guy today and he said he is gonna try one using insulated garage door panels and just making a frame and slipping them in.

In theory for the walls it should work, and should be fairly light, at least I think it should be.

Does this sound nuts?

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 12-13-2003).]

I am building a 6'6"x12 house anyone got any sugg. on lightweight siding and roof mat.Will the painted steel pole barn siding menards sells work? how about roof mat. has anyone put on a rubber roof.I don't know squat about framing.And the budjet looks like I will have to try putting the thing togeather myself.Anyone have plans you can share about basic frame const.It will go on a drop down trailer so I want to keep it light.

Pole barn steel works great for the walls and the roof. Lightweight and very sturdy especially when it's screwed. Use the screws with the little rubber washers for the roof. Also easy to work with, you can cut it with a skillsaw or a tin-snip.

I dunno, by the time you buy the 2x4s and rip them put in the insulation buy the sheeting outside and paneling inside, that ain't gonna be too cheap either.

Plus this is just put it up and it is finished inside and out smile.gif

I dunno, by the time you buy the 2x4s and rip them put in the insulation buy the sheeting outside and paneling inside, that ain't gonna be too cheap either.

Plus this is just put it up and it is finished inside and out smile.gif

I built an 6x10 house this year and have $350 into it. I'd have to say it looks pretty good at that. The 2x4's and plywood represent that majority of the cost. The rest of the materials were the result of scrounging andmaterials friends had on hand. Ask around and you'll be surprised what some people have laying about that they'll contribute to a place to fish on the ice. My one friend had left over steel from his pole barn, that's on my roof now. Another had sheets of 1 1/2" foil back insulation he'd collected from building sites. Last night I ran out of propane for my sunflower, and we were able to heat the house very comfortably with just a Coleman lantern. Hunt around..!!

linedropper, if you want to save money, the best place to start is new housing construction sites. You wouldn't believe what you can scrounge out of dumpsters and by asking the people working on the house that you can find. I just built a 6 by 10 and got all of my 2x4's out of just one dumpster. They were used to hold the walls up while framing the house. They had nails in them but it only took about an hour and I figure I saved myself about a hundred bucks(hundred bucks towards a new FL-8).!! I also got a piece of rubber from a commercial roofing job site just by asking again. The rubber is thick and very easy to put on. Plywood is very expensive right now, so the steel siding is probably a good idea. I would use some vapor barrier behind the siding to keep drafts out, just remember to put some ventilation means in the house if you are going to use a non-vented heater. I also got some pieces of vapor barrier just by asking again.

I didn't rip my 2x4's to 2x2's. Kept them as is for the strength. At 6x10, with steel roof, insulation, and 2x2 angle iron runners, I'm still less than 700lbs. My 400cc Arctic Cat four wheeler tows it just fine. Harder to stop the **** thing than it is to get it going.