• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lifetime Licenses?

BLACKJACK

I’ve hit that magical age of 51, which is the next jumping off point to buy lifetime licenses. Whether its Firearm Deer, Archery Deer, Angling, or Small game, the total that they want divided by the current license fee figures out that in roughly 10-14 years I’ll have made up my money back and I’m fishing or hunting for free (Angling $203 / $18 current license = 11.27).

Is this a good deal? Does it make financial sense? I know financial planners want you to keep your money and invest it, theres inflation, rising license costs, life expectancy, health, etc. to factor in. I’d like to think positive and think that I’m going to live another 30 years and continue to enjoy the outdoors, if I decide to jump on one lifetime license, I should get them all.

What do you think, good deal or bad deal?

I'd say it is a great deal. Life expectancy is about 74, so you have 20+ years left on avg. So your numbers look even better. Plus, you know license fees will only continue to rise. Locking in now seems like the best bet to me. Consider the lifetime license as an investment. You are investing the initial cost of it in order to ensure your quality of life continues as you have grown accustomed.

Also, your life expectancy will increase due to the exercise and diet you have of fresh game, fowl and fish.

Well reasoned reply CNC. Another thought I've passed on to younger folks: If you relocate, your lifetime license is still good...especially thoughtful if you're a student that may move out of state.

Originally Posted By: ghotierman
Well reasoned reply CNC. Another thought I've passed on to younger folks: If you relocate, your lifetime license is still good...especially thoughtful if you're a student that may move out of state.

I got mine the first couple years they came out, just before i hit one of the jumps in price. I am now happy that i did. I will be graduating in December and relocation is a possibility. I actually looked at some of the major bow manufacturers and found: ARCHERY PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER.... Possible dream job, but in Arizona.

I have considered it, but mainly for my son who is three right now. I would hope that he will love the outdoors as much as I do, early indications are that he will. So it only seems like a wise investment. I on the other hand am right in the middle of the highest price group, but it is still a good investment I think. I just haven't made the committment yet.

Another way to look at is from the DNR side. The money they get from you now will get more bang for the buck than the annual fees over the years.

I got the sportsman's license a few years ago. You have to go and get the HIP certification every year so you still have to deal with it, but it's nice to not have to worry about whether your license is expired - like all those confused ice fishing license types this year.

The thought of a lifetime license terrifies me. I just turned 51 and I know darn well that if I bought a lifetime license I'd be dead in a year. Kind of like when you blow the engine on your car right after you put new tabs on and fill the tank.