• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bringing perch up from deep water?

Bob Horn

Does anyone know if you can"fizz" a perch like they do bass and if so how? Fizzing is poking a small hole in the fishes bladder. I release most of my fish and the perch don`t look to good coming up from 45 feet. Fish On

Yes you can fizz perch also.Infact I keep a small hypo needle with me on both hard and soft water.I fish alot of deep water walleyes in NW IA.Try to remember to bring up your deep fish very slow.Also when you fizz a fish make sure it's in water while you do it.A 45 degree angle towards the front of the fish.Up and forward 4-6 scales from the anal opening.You'll know when you hit the bladder.Best of luck.
Ryan Hale

[This message has been edited by Setter (edited 12-12-2003).]

If you get a perch and their guts come up into their mouths or their eyes bug out they are done. toss em in your bucket and eat them, they are good! If they are wormy, plant them in your garden, good for your veggies and flowers. Don't leave on the ice, thats illegal in the land of 10,000 fishing regulations! wink.gif

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}("< ---><!>

I don`t know the science behind it but I read an article last spring on this subject and the majority of the fish survived the fizzing while the fish that were not didn`t. If I can find the article I will let you know. Fish On

Derek,
How slow is "slowy"? I'm assuming what we are trying to do here is give time for the air bladder to adjust (sorry, gotta brush up on fish anatomy). Aren't there some types of fish where this is not a concern, where they do not have bladders, or they are very small?

------------------
SERIOUSLY! It was THIS big!

Bringiing em up slowly isn't the answer either, the prolonged fight will stress them out and they won't be able to swim down any better. If you are fishing so deep that the fish cannot get back down, then keep them, or go find shallower fish...

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}("< ---><!>

I've never fizzed a fish. It might work if the fish was just a little bloated, but most of the ones I catch in deep water are pretty well puffed up. I don't fish in deep water a lot, but I caught a few crappies in 40+ feet of water last winter. They were big fish, but not even that fun to catch. They would quit fighting in the first few feet of reeling them in. No matter how slow I tried to bring them up, they were just about as good as croaked when they made it to the hole.

Is there any way to at least have a fish fight for a while when you hook them in deep water?

[This message has been edited by gill man (edited 12-14-2003).]

I personally think this "fizzing" stuff is b.s. I know people swear by it, and I also know there have been tests showing it doesn't work. You can't stick a needle in an animal and pop something without killing it. Bring it up slowly, eat it, or don't fish for it.

Sticking a needle in the swollen swim bladder of any species of fish brought up from deep water may allow you to feel better as you see the fish swim back down into deeper water after you release it.

But the question is: Will the puncture in the bladder heal? In other words, will the fish survive?

Does anyone out there know the answers? I've never seen a study that shows clear evidence one way or another.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Im not sure if it is the same for fish but being a certified diver you dont rise any faster than your air bubbles wich is about 1 foot per second.If I pull up a fish and its stomach is in his throat(if legal)he is in the bucket.