• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My poor dog

wastewaterguru

I have been a dog owner for 19 years now and have always taken the dogs on short trips in the back of pickup trucks. I've seen them THINK about trying to jump out when I was stopped, but they were always content when moving.

............do you see where this is going??

I had my 8 year old yellow lab and my 4 month old lab/shepard mix in the back on the way home from the vet and the 4-month jumped out at 50+ mph.

I walked back and picked him up off of the middle of County Road 42. He obviously couldn't walk and was bleeding profusely from the mouth. I didn't think he would be alive when we got back to the vet. (He rode in the back seat this time).

Well it turned out the blood was just from a bad cut inside his mouth. Unfortunately, however, he had a badly broken back leg.

The leg required surgery (estimated at $2000 to $5000), I was unemployed at the time (4 weeks ago), and I got the dog for free.

Do you put the dog down for a broken leg???

Do you put yourself further in debt for a dog you got for free???

I could go and get a purebred and send him to a professional trainer for the money to fix the leg of my little mut.

Well, I paid for the surgery ($1,890) and the dog has almost completely recovered.

I just felt uncomfortable putting a dog down that was hurt because I was an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly.

As soon as he completely heals, he better show me some gratitude and learn to fetch some beers. grin.gif

Well the moral is..........don't be an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly and drive your truck with the dog in the open bed. My kids call him Frankenstein now because his whole back end is shaved and he has a big scar from his knee to his hip.......but I still love him.

I picked up my topper last week.

I'm glad to see you made the right decision. Good work.

In my opinion, taking ownership of a dog is a lifetime commitment, no matter what. We expect them to be loyal, trustworthy, and obedient. I think it's only fair that they get the same treatment. Granted, there are occasions where vet bills or similar situations can really hurt you or your family and you obviously have to choose family first but I also think every effort should be made to keep that original commitment.

Once back in Virginia I saw a big Setter tumble out of an open pickup on an on-ramp cloverleaf in the middle of interstate 495. I was going the opposite way and was able to slow down a bit and watch. The dog popped up uninjured on the shoulder of the inside of the circular ramp and ran along after the truck but--get this--the owner of the dog didn't see that he'd come out and kept going, exited the highway complex, and drove off down the secondary road out of sight. This was a very busy divided highway attached to an interstate. Last I saw of the dog he was dodging through dense 50 MPH traffic following in the general direction of the pickup. I was facing the other way and there was probably nothing to be done anyhow. Even if the dog survived the gauntlet he was probably far from home and beat up. Imagine the reaction of the owner when he finally checked the back of the truck.

d

My yellow lab used to ride in the box of my Chevy truck quite a bit. I didn't put him back there on the highway, just on the gravel roads close to home or the railroad grade down to the shack. He was very good about staying inside until I opened up the tailgate, but anyone who owns a Chevy truck from the early to mid-90's knows how the tailgates would stop working after getting gummed up with road dust. Mine didn't latch right, and one time he wandered to the back and leaned a little too hard on the tailgate...

I heard a thump as the tailgate fell, then looked in the rearview mirror in time to see poor Duke tumbling down the gravel road (I was going about 40 mph). When he quit rolling he got up, shook himself off, and took off on a dead run the other direction. When I caught up to him he gave me the dirtiest look I've ever seen. Luckily he was fine except for a small cut on his nose. Man did I feel terrible.

He prefers to ride in front now.

I am always extra careful with this issue. A few years ago my brothers brittany jumped out of the window of his car and was killed. Wouldnt ever drive a dog in the back of a pickup unless I was back there with him(which ive done). Carrier or inside the extended cab!

You bet they try!! I just speed up! They usually make thier break when I stop for gas. I also found that duct tape and bungee cords help keep them in. Speaking about trucks...Does anyone want to car pool to the ice events? I'm driveing. grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I knew a guy back in Dakota whose dog liked to ride in the back of the truck. He put an eye bolt in a heavy steel plate in the pickup box. He would hook the dog's collar to a leash attached to the eyebolt that let the dog look over the edge but no further. The dog got to sniff the wind, but couldn't leave the truck box.

Well where do I start. I had a 10 week old black lab fall out of the window of my truck and under the wheel. She ended up having a fractured leg out of the deal, I ended up with nightmares of here yelping.

I spent $2500 to have the leg fixed, only to have the joint socket never develop during the 3 months of recovery. After much diliberation and the luck of running into a guy who hunts over (2) three legged labs, I had the gimp leg removed. By 10 months she was out phesant hunting. 3 trips and she was doing great, until she went gun shy!

Today she is the happiest 3 Year old lab.
Besides having to take left corners wide when on as full sprint, she runs just as fast if not faster than the neighboorhood dogs.

Not a day in the duck blind or field goes by where I wish she was there, but when I come home she's right there by my side. I am so glad I did not put her down.

------------------
Addicted

It's not only a name, but a state of mind!

Besides the obvious tragedy of a dog jumping out in traffic, they can be a distraction to other drivers. Dogs like to have their faces in the wind, good way of getting something in their eyes. I can't see any good coming of a dog riding in the back with out some sort of restraining system. Glad your dog is o.k. and you shared this with us. Good topic.

------------------
Erik

good to hear your dog adapted well. you got to love those poeple who have there dog on there lap while driving. yesterday i saw a truck coming and thought the dog was driving. threw me for a loop.

And the moral of the story is

Always restrain or contain your pets (and family) when they are in an operating motorized vehicle. Even when in the back of a pick-up with a topper, if you've got to slap on the brakes, your dog cna have a fatal injury from flying around in the back. I know. I've seen it.
Keep them in plastic pet carriers that are strapped in place. It also helps to keep down on the dog hair.

Where my dog can't go, I don't go! Bear (90lb yellow Lab) rides in the back seat of my Durango and in the front of my boat. All my dogs were trained to command. I have never owned a pickup, always a station wagon or SUV and slobber was on the side of everyone of them! God I love that sight !!! I have never been without my dogs for over two weeks for the in the last 50 years! Even while I was over seas in Viet Nam I took care of Guard Dog Pups. Dogs have been apart of my families life !! Five dogs Nickie,Spike,Pepper,Simmons now Bear. I raised my children with dogs around and they were taught that dogs are a big responsibility. Both my children are grown and on their own and they both have dogs! Sounds Cornie But, I LOVE MY DOG !!!!!!

Richard

A friends dog used to ride in the back of his truck all the time and never had a problem. One day the dog caught a glimpse of a rabbit running across the road and that is all it took. The dog jumped out and broke his neck. He never thought a dog would jump out of a moving truck either.

One day while fishing a reservoir in Arizona with my German Shorthair, we where in my 16'Lund and going across the lake at around 25mph. All of a sudden, Patch is looking over my right shoulder! He's standing all 4 feet on the gunnel of the boat (hanging 10 so to speak). Craziest thing he ever did. He must have wanted a better look at the scenery? After a few minutes he just got down and stood in the back of the boat like normal. I sure wish I had it on video. The first time I took him fishing, he was 3 months old and we where stream fishing. I had to help him over fallen logs along the stream. Whenever I stopped to fish, he would lay down and sleep with his head on one of my feet. He was a great dog, we spent countless hours chasing quail, pheasants, crappie, bass, trout. Enjoy your dogs boys, they don't live forever.

Later,

------------------
Don "AJ" Peacock
[email protected]

Lapeer, Michigan

I know what you mean about spending $ on a free dog. I've spent about $1,000 on mine so far. But she's great and the kids lover her. Don't think I could have gotten a better dog no matter what the price. Kudos on making the decision you did!

I had my bulldog in the back of my truck tied down and I thought he couldt get over the side. Well he did and I looked in the side mirror and he was hanging over the side of the truck pulled over unleashed him. How many of you bring your dog fishin? My bulldog loves Crappies and boating.