• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy my first portable

HuskersRule

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to ice fishing. I'm looking to buy my first portable. I like the Frabill Solo Ranger. Does anybody have any recommendations for a 1 person portable?

I'm getting a lot of good tips from this forum. Thanks!

welcome huskersrule to fm. asking which to buy is like asking which car to buy. dont have any input on the ranger, but i believe you get what you pay for.my choice is the otter. unless you are walking and pulling the shack, why not go allitle bigger and have room to move around in it? course i think the otter magnum is perfect for one person, and if i have company, no problem.

I assume that you some connection to Nebraska from your username. I lived in big red country myself for a few years, so I am happy to help.
As to the portable, I just purchased the Otter Den and I will be fishing out of it this weekend for the first time. I will let you know what I find out. I also have a suitcase style cabelas kit house that I use when I fish with another person. It is good for the price, but a bit cumbersome if you are looking for a house that is easy to move.

Yes, I'm from Nebraska originally Blair to be exact. I moved to MN in 1979 for work.

I looked at Fleet Farm and I also liked the Eskimo Quick flip II deluxe.

I'll be interested to see how you like your portable and how you did.

Nice to hear from a fellow husker.

Hey Husker. Just to add ANOTHER option into the mix, check out Canvas Craft in Anoka. They also make canvas covers for Otter sleds. They also have one I saw at the ice show, the canvas is quilted, looked like it would be awfully warm. As far as size I don't think you could go wrong with a two man, nice and roomy for one and if you get someone to go with you then bonus.

A ZEN MASTER

Huskers,

I have an Otter Lodge and I would highly recommend it to anyone. It's a little on the heavier side but the quality in my opinion is far superior to other brands. I shopped them all very diligently before purchasing.

As far as the slushy, slippery inside goes, yes that is a problem. What I did was cut a piece of carpet to fit the standing area in the house. Then I took my auger blade cover as a pattern and cut 4 holes, one at each corner. Slippery ice problem solved.

that carpet you are using, does it ever freeze to the ice or fill up with ice chunks? im assuming its a short nap with plastic fibers. seams like cloth would soak water and freeze.

I know you're probably going to get alot of responses to everyones favorite so here's mine. I have a Shoremaster, it is 6x8 and sets up in seconds. I like the portables with a floor in them and here's why. My brother has a flip over, I can't remember the name, but it's purple. I've fished in it with him and it's nice if you move alot but once you've been in one spot for a while the heat has melted all the snow inside the house and you are either standing in water or the ice is slippery as all get out. And as for ease of moving from one place to another, I made a sled out of 2x4's and an old pair of snow skis, just lift the house onto the sled and off you go. My $.02, I'm sure you'll get lots of varying opinions.

Ole

[This message has been edited by Ole1855 (edited 12-12-2003).]

Hey Husker
I had a shoremaster 6x8 and they are a great house. Only problem is they are pretty heavy for one person to handle. I have also had a Frabil solo Ranger. Just sold it a couple days ago. It's perfect size for one guy and light. The one thing I didn't like was the skirt was to small for decent banking. I understand that this years model has improved the skirt. I just bought an Otter two man cabin. WOW are they built nice. They are a little spendy compared to others but I thought worth it for the added quality of the canvas and the snap style canvas to the tub. The swivel padded seats are really comfy. It only weighs 62lbs plus the seats. Easy enough to handle for one person.Lots of room if alone but still roomy enough for two.It is also pretty well known that the otter tubs are the best and easiest to lug through the snow. Just my 2 cents..

[This message has been edited by tightlines (edited 12-12-2003).]

www.frabill.com
They have some real nice houses both flip and portable. I have the venture they are generallly lighter than the others, the black fabric makes a good solar heater. Price is a good point here too espically for a starter.
hope this helps

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

As for the size to get, 1 vs. 2 person, depends on your type of fishing. The one man types should be large enough for you and gear. Fish Traps have a small and large 1 man. But remember, bigger also means more to store, carry, and heavier.
I have a Fish Trap Scout and a Frabill Hideout. The scout works great for lone trips. Fairly roomy, light, and durable. The Hideout is for trips with the kids. My brother has an Eskimo 1 man and loves it. Frabills are great too. With all the competition out there, the quality of each is getting closer. Good luck.

i got the glacier GL2, it is a two person that only weighs 20 pounds, sets up in a flash and has real thick ice armor material. good thing is that it has doors on both sides. since i go out by myself usaully i found this to be light enough with plenty of room.

------------------
FISH OR GO HOME

Canvas Craft makes the best "otter" style house on the market, they invented it, Otter is an off branch of them. Otter shacks are green in color, Canvas Craft ones are black. I have owned or fished out of most of the Clam line and still have a 4600 for around town, but the CC is the one that has lasted the longest and held up for 10 yrs now. If someone asked what are the 2 most important features (in my opinion) I would have to say it should be made of a dark color and have a door so all the heat doesn't go away when someone has to get in and out.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Behmer,
the Glacier Portables are an extremely good value for those who want to travel light.

They are industrial grade and weigh-in at 24lbs. They are also priced right for those on a budget or a shorter ice season than Northen Minnesota/North Dakota/Northern WI/UP/Canada.

So, if you like to travel light, you have a short ice season, or you're on a budget...
any of those three reasons are a good reason to get a Glacier Shelter. I recommend the Glacier III. It's roomier and still plenty light.

Glacier Portable Ice Fishing Shelters - CLICK HERE

I was checking out the Glacier models online and wondering if there is anywhere local(NW TC) that has them on display? I guess I don't remember seeing one at Cabela's, FF or GM. I'd like to see one set up before I buy one. Also, any comments on how they pull through/over the snow by hand?

------------------
"so I got that goin' for me, which is nice"

There is a bait shop on co.rd.75 and 33st s.in St Cloud that has them on display on the left side of 75.has the two man and three man.
jimBo

[This message has been edited by jimBo (edited 12-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by jimBo (edited 12-16-2003).]

i have a frabill iceranger 1 man and an otter den...
prefer the otter...in my opinion the best sled on the market for toughness behind a snowmobile...
use the ranger sometimes at first ice but it is modified with downhill ski's to get some of the tub up in the air