• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Line for Lake Trout fishing

Minnetonka

I will be heading to LOW Whitefishbay January 1, for Lake Trout Opener. We run and gun outside and I want to spool up with a line that will not freeze up and retain to much water. Any suggestions on the best line for winter Lake Trout fishing? (Brand and test)

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike

Inland lake trout I rarely go over 50' and like 10lb Berkly for fishing outside the shack. Never broke off on fish with 10lb but have pulled many hooks loose. I've tired 12lb and felt I lost to much feel for the jig. I've used braids and found they freeze to the spool but do like them in a heated shack. I've heard good things about power pro and plan on having a reeled spooled to try.

Surface Tension is far more an expert, but Al and Doug on the In-fish vids use 6 or 8 pound mono.

My buddy who fishes lake trout in ely all winter likes 6 pound on walleye tackle for lakers. More of a fight and more hook-ups but also more problems with larger fish.

Last year, I was fishing on Lake Superior with 10lb trilene line and hooked a 33" lake trout. The only problem was that I was unable to pull him up through the hole as the fish would make a run every time I tried to reach in and grab him. The ice was so clear that we actually measured him through the ice. Unfortunately, I tried to pull him up after the fourth run and the line broke (it was brand new line). This year I am using power pro and fireline for all my rods.
Dan

When fishing outside where below freezing, i use 10# XT. If fishing inside/warm temps I am using 20/6 powerpro and will be trying one reel with 15/4 this year. On both this year, i will be experimenting using a fluorocarbon leader to see if i get any more hookups. I'm thnking #10 or #15 fluoro on a @4ft leader. Will let you know after the Burntside bash as to results!
Xplorer

Lake trout have a tendency to shake and roll when coming in so there is a tendency for there to be periodic slack when using no-stretch line. Unfortunately that is when trout get sometimes fall off. I fish lakers off the bottom in 100' to 120' in Lake Superior and have had the best luck landing bigger fish with the mono lines. The stretch actually helps keep some tension on the fish when they shake and roll. Has anyone else noticed this?