• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish landing tips

Wahlberg

Does anyone have tips on landing walleyes? I have lost a few at the hole while trying to get a hold of them. I get them to come up the hole fine, but either get cut by the gills/fins or it comes off while I am trying to get a good grip. Any suggestions?

Get the head out, and pull back towards yourself so they slide towards you without ever over-stressing the line. Once they get between your feet, close your feet to "fence" them in. This can all be done in one swift motion without getting off your seat. You still need to always be ready to do some hole diving if needed!

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Leave the fish in the water and bend down and pick it out. Do NOT under any circumstances use your rod and pick the fish out with your line because all that is going to happen is that the line will break or you will have the hook tear out. DO NOT horse fish is my motto. I leave then in the water and if they are big I will try to grab under there gill cover or use a gaff hook under the gill. If they are little just grab them from their belly side and put your hand over there gills so that can't cut you. Remember that if you have one come of be calm and go down after it. If a walleye has it head up it will either have to sink down the hole or get turned around

I want to add this that more times that not when I have picked a fish out of the hole by the line if they come of they do a flip in the air and they are head first down the hole and you aren't going to catch it again. If you are worried about the gills cutting your hands get a set of gloves to protect you hands. I never were them myself my hands are all beat up after a weekend of fishing it is the price you pay for this hobby. I know for a fact that I have seen more fish lost by someone using the rod to pick them out of the hole than if you leave them in the water and grab them. This is what works well for me.
------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by iffwalleyes (edited 12-12-2003).]

Good answer poutmaster, I'll add that you can help the fish out of the hole a bit by placing your hand behind the fish by lowering your hand into the water about half way down the fishes body and give Mr. Fish that extra momentum by providing a soft scoop action towards your feet. It takes pratice and the move is one simultaneous motion along with raising the rod. Once you master this technique you'll eat more walleyes and use less band aids.

Iffwalleyes is correct on the getting them after they come off.I once had a 7 1/2 pounder spit the jig out onto the shack floor and my buddy and I for a second looked at the jig,then at each other.The walleye basically had to sink back down tail first so I had time to reach in and grab it before it was gone.Pretty wild.

I don't know about that. If done right, the fish slides right out of the hole. A well timed, quick, steady pull at about a 45 degree angle will lose few fish. A key to this is practice and knowing your lines breaking point. Trying to grab a fish in the hole can be tricky. A lot of fish are lost at this point, as well as a lot of blood....From cut up hands. I've had many, many cuts from grabbing fish in the holes, but I've yet to be struck in the face by a flying jig....Although my friend has. grin.gif j/k. I also beach fish in open water. Use their momentum to ease them out of the water. When they flap, I pull.

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

[This message has been edited by can it be luck? (edited 12-11-2003).]

I've got one word for ya: GAFF.

JUST KIDDING! Nobody fly off the handle...

Seriously, though, I often wear fingerless wooly gloves that allow the use of my fingertips for tying jigs & baiting hooks, yet offer some protection when grabbing fish as well. Best part, they're still warm even when wet. Best $2.99 I've ever spent at KMart - I now have 4 or 5 pair.

Big Game Lip Grip
or
Big Game Digital Lip Grip Scale
tackle_1768_26948

Spring loaded pincers grip the fish's jaw firmly so you can lift and control your catch with confidence.

Corrosion-resistant stainless steel body with positive locking jaw action and cushioned handle with wrist lanyard.

The 28" size provides extra reach. The Digital Lip Grip Scale weighs fish up to 30lbs.

In pounds & ounces or kilograms.

Handy!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Depending on the size of the fish and the size of the hole you can put your hand flat on one side of the hole away from the fish and then pinch the fish to the other side and flip them out with ease. Then they are in your house and you can either grab them or slightly pinch them between your feet. This works for me. I use slight pressure on my line when I do this also.

Kupcho