• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BOW NOISE?

Ok, just shot my new bow today. Parker frontier 2-plus. set at 63 lbs, have two string leeches on, and dampners on the limbs. Stabilizer is a decent doinker brand, and i even have the STS string suppressor. My arrows weigh roughly 338 grains. But the bow is still loud when fired. Please don't tell me i bought a loud bow. any one have any suggestions or fixes, to quiet down a loud bow? any ideas will be greatly appreciated. THANKS.

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? It sounds like you have sound control correct, and cant think of anything else to add that would make it more quiet. Your arrow is a tad light at just over 5 grains per pound, a heavier arrow would be quieter. I would check to be sure its not noise coming from your rest or sight.

Yep- DD said everything I was thinking when I read your post- check to be sure nothing is loose. Have somebody listen really close when you shoot- see if they can find where the noise is coming from. You're shooting a pretty light arrow- another hundred or so grains would help. After that, not much left to do.

Another way to check to see if it's an accessory problem is to remove them one at a time and shoot. If you remove one and the noise goes away- tadaa! You found your problem.

Even tho you bought it new, look it over and make sure there are no cracks on the limbs or anywhere else. Maybe there is a defect that you are not seeing. Then if you cant figure out the noise go back to where you bought it and see if they can figure it out for you and maybe replace it for you

Loud compared to what? The new Matthews or Hoyts? Not many bows on the market will be as quiet as these.

My guess is still the light arrow. How heavy was your older arrow you shot? I would think you will need to shoot an arrow at least 400-450 grains to quiet the bow.

Loud in what way, also... is it a vibration? a buzz? or a 'thwack'...I would agree with some of the other observations regarding the arrow weight. Inspect the limbs and limb pockets. The cable guard/slide could also be the culprit. as mentioned, have a buddy listen for where the sound seems to be coming from. Best if you could do it right there at Scheels, or a pro shop and they could tweek it right there.

Its a thwack sound. did shoot an arrow that was 40 grains heavier, but it was still loud. bow is at a pro shop now for them to figure out. tried shooting it with the stabilizer and the sts off but they do make it quieter, so thats out. How would the cable guard/slide make that much noise?

if you are using a drop away rest it could be slapping the shelf on the riser. if so put some mole skin on the shelf. you are not shooting one of the quietest bows out there so that is some of the issue(sorry) i feel your arrows are heavy enough but pushing the limit for the weight you are shooting. heavier arrows will slighly quiet it down but not a great amount. if nothing else try reducing the draw weight and see if that helps a little. good luck!

WHe I think of a thwack, I'm thinking the rest, maybe arrow contact, slapping the armguard...

Are you practicing inside or outside? Sometimes noise it perceived as loud and its really not that loud. Even worn out string leeches can make a snapping sound.

Ya iv'e heard that this bow is not the quietest, but this one is bad. Twin rivers in new ulm did find that the bottom cam is dented, and when he tapped on both cams the top cam is solid but the bottom cam has a vibration/rattle to it when tapped on with fingers, not good. As far as the rest goes, it's a rip cord, he raised it up so it wasn't even hitting the shelf. So hopefully with a new cam and cable rod dampner (parker recommended) things will be quieter. hopefully. Takin it back to scheels to see what they can do tommorrow.Thanks much for all the ideas, keep em' coming if anyone can think of anything else.

I couple things to try would be to ajust the STS, some bows have a different sweet spot. My new bow is set up with a very small gap (.5mm), my old bow worked best with a little larger gap(2mm).

I have also seen bows, with two sets of dampners on the limb, one set close to the riser and one set close to the cams. Let us know what you figure out.

Do you guys think adding extra limb savers, string leeches to the cables, and the cable rod dampner will help with the noise? I already have limb savers on the limbs, but will an extra set of em' help? Or just a waste of money?

Are you getting the cam fixed? If you are you might be better off just waiting to see if that takes care of the noise issue. You might be pleasantly surprised when you get it back. After you get it back if it is still noisy added more string leaches might help but it will also have a little effect on your overall speed. Parker recommended a cable dampener, might want to get one and see if that helps as well.

Shoot it a few times when you pick it up at scheels and see if it is any quieter when the cam is fixed. If it makes you feel any better maybe they will let you shoot the same model bow to see if there is any difference.

I can't remember the guys name that helped me get a different cam on my bow but he was pretty helpful. I am sure if you ask about the noise they maybe would be able to suggest something, or help find out what is causing it.

I don't know. Every arrow selection chart showed the arrows i bought will work. and i called 2 pro shops and they both said the same arrows will be fine. I did shoot an arrow that was 40 grains heavier and it did not make one bit of difference. When i get it back, im goin to a pro shop to have them help me with it (if needed).