• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
FDMKB

Whats the best Tipup

go with the thermal ones that go around the hole they are the best because u can leave them out for a long time and the hole is still fresh. ps they wont put a hole in your wallet either.

although it is nice to have an open hole,...the standard polars are adjustable in every way and very versatile in every respect.

I like the Frabill thermals (the round ones), but good old Polars are so strong, smooth and reliable, it is hard to recommend anything else...... <especially the wood ones>

Hey yall
I was thinking of buying a few Frabill thermals, but I have a 10" ice auger. Will the Frabills slide in the hole (too small) or stay on top of the hole? Sorry if this question is a silly one.
Thanks Booger

I have always like polars I have like 8 of them. I haven't ever used Frabils but I know they are popular.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

the frabill thermals are good tipups and a great deal. I've also had great success with Artic Fisherman. No problems whatsoever and lasted 10 years, but maybe a little overpriced. The frabill wood one (classic?) looks like it might be worth a shot. Dont mess with the $6 black plastic ones. Theres too much friction when the spool spins, the spindels get warped- theyre not even close to being worth $6

drowned minnow you beat me to it. grin.gif
I was going to say the ones that catch fish!!! wink.gif

Anyways I like using the frabill thermal ones too.

------------------
Fish ON!

Over the years I have picked up many polars and Beaver Dams (wooden Variety). Given my experience I really like the polars, they are smooth, relativenly inexpensive, and easier to wind up the line than the Beaver Dam's. Coming from Wisconsin it seemed like I would get a couple (Beaver Dam's) every year.

Make sure youy pick up some tiny bobbers to use as line markers, they work great.

I've always threaded a button onto my dacron as a line marker - works like a charm, but I don't vary in depths too much with my tip-ups. Might try a mini-bobber this year though - probably easier to adjust.

Anyone have problems with the flag springs on their Frabils? I bought a new polar last year and it seems like I got a wimpy spring or something - when a fish takes the line, the flag flops around at about half-mast. Coincidentally, I've named that one "limpy". shocked.gif Any ideas on where to get a new spring for it?

Well I have a couple of about each different kind and I have to say that I like the Frabill thermals the best; esp. when it is really cold out and you can't even use the others because the hole keeps freezing up.

Blaze, Try bending the spring the opposite direction. Also the springs can usually be rotated on the peg that they're attached to. Rotate it the opposite way. I see you nickname your tip-ups too. I have a couple that have nicknames also. One's missing a flag, I call that one my "ghetto tip-up". My frabill is called "UFO". My limpy ones I call "whisky d**k", but my girlfriend call the limpy ones by my first name! I can't figure out why, she must like me or something. grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

My vote is also for the Frabil thermal. Never had a problem with the springs, been using them for many years. I use a small split shot also for my line marker. For night fishing I modified a few of my tip-ups by adding a light that comes on when the flag goes up. hooked it to a small 9V battery which sits in the little tackle compartment.

Good fishin all...