• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Attaching Vexilar to Fishing Boat Transom

fishlips

I originally posted this question on 12/8, but it disappeared.....
I have the ice fishing vexilar pack (FL-8) with floating transducer. I would like to use this setup for a Canadian fishing trip this summer. Is there a system for sale that allows you to temporarily attach the transducer to the boat transom? I checked the Vexilar site - they have a screw in system, but I can't do that (rental boat).
thanks

There are several clamp -on transducer brackets with adjustable rods for virtually and make, model, or style of tranducer. Mos t are in the twenty dollar range. They will fit any boat's transom and are quite portable. Check with GM.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

I've done this before.
Take a 1"x4" pine board approx. 24"long and narrow down one end - (whittle or saw with a sabre saw strips off of one end to approx 1- 1/2"wide). Then you'll have to guesstimate the angle of the transom, and saw a wedge to glue with gorilla glue or sportsmans goop (a couple small finishing nails won't hurt) to the narrow end of the board so that when you either hose clamp or tape the round transducer to the board the bottom of the transducer will be more or less level when clamped to the transom (2 - 4" C clamps) and the boat is sitting in the water.

I had a setup like this for a couple years on my old 14'Lund, and it worked great when sitting, but didn't read well at all while motoring. The high speed tranny is really the way to go (you can also screw this to a board to clamp on different boats)

Cut a short piece of PVC tubing that matches the OD (Outside Diameter) of the transducer fairly closely.

Cut the PVC just an inch taller then the puck itself (any taller it will tend to tip over too easily).

Lay a hacksaw across the bottom making two cuts in the PVC walls about 1/8 deep, or less. Do this again forming and X so when your finished you have 4 tint cuts on the same end of the PVC tubing. These are to allow water to enter the tube.

Place the PVC in the SUMP area of the boat and add a splash of water so the transducer can shoot through the hull efficiently. I recommend a felt or cotton gauze pad be placed under the transducer to protect it. This will also hold the moisture well.

We have used this system on rental boats from time to time, it works very well. We just tote the Ice Pack along and the PVC sump tube and your all set to shoot a signal and fish.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 12-11-2003).]

fishlips, the first three options are good ones. I might lean with backwaters or crappie toms, I've used backwaters method and it works well. You can also just use the flasher like ice fishing and toss the ducer over the side of the boat or canoe. This method won't work if your moving fast with an outboard but works fine in a canoe. The backwater method will work in almost any condition or speed on your vessel. Did you go to Bill Mussleman basketball camp in 1975?

Check with Vexilar to be sure that the floating transducer will work. I have the summer transducer for my FL-8 and it is different.

I think the main difference is shape and it will work at a moving speed in the boat. I think if you just used the round transducer when you were still fishing it would probably work. But you might check before you invest any more with a clamp on unit.