• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

portable buddy low oxygen

cisco kid

bought one ,dont like it. If it insnt blowing out it is cutting out because of low air. Then you have to goof around relighting the pilot, a two handed deal! I use it in my portable and had to put foil on the wire guard and elavate it on a pail which helped. Now with snow I can pack the sides and put it back on ice level to aleviate a tip over hazard on top of the pail.But then I will have to light the pilot every 5 min. because of the low air level. I feel it would be better suited for a shanty. Or only use it on mild days and get a colman heater for cold.

------------------

are you using this outside in the open, on the ice? if so, it would blow out often. dont think its going out cause of low oxygen when your outside, unless its defective. mine has never gone out for low oxygen in my shanty.had it going on the floor in my garage and it blew out when i walked by. going to try the sheilding over the lower 2 inches of the grill.

[This message has been edited by pj4 (edited 12-10-2003).]

I've had one since they came out and haven't had any of the problems you have. I would get ahold of the manufacture and see what they say. Yes they do blow out if the wind is to bad but mine light easy and unless the wind blows it out it runs till I shut it down or it runs out of gas. Good luck
Bob Cunningham

Just speaking from my own experience, but I haven't experienced any of the problems with my buddy that everyone has been talking about. I have used it in an insulated shanty and in my Quick Flip 2 and I can't remember it ever going out. I haven't used it in my QF 2 with it half open but I have used it with the door and side vents open without any problems. As far as the low Oxygen cutout, Last year there were 3 of us in a pretty tightly sealed insulated shack and it never went out once. Just some of my experiences, take it or leave it.
Les

I was having the going out after 5 minutes problem yesterday! I figured out that the foil windscreen was a little too big and too close to the heater, blocking the air flow. Try repositioning the foil. You only need about a 2" width. Make sure it's tight on the cage of the heater, and away from the heater body, and any seam in the foil is on the outside.
She works real good now!

I have heard nothing but problems from those that have tried putting foil on the bottom. I had a unit one time that would go out all the time, I took it back. It ended up having a piece of dirt in the gas line or something like that. If yours is going out a lot, I would return it. I think you got a lemon. If you get a good one, it should run without problems. They do blow out easy in the wind but the positives outweigh the negatives in my opinion.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

The first one I had worked good the first year (would blow out but other wise good) then would only run for five minutes and shut off right away the second season. I called customer service and sent it back and they sent me a new one, which works great. I usually set mine behind me in the sled, no wind there and don't have to step around it getting in and out and its easy to reach out a warm up a cold hand. No noise , no smell but also not enough BTU's when really cold.

While I don't currently own one... from the sounds of it everyone is pretty much in agreement that the buddy isn't quite enough on cold days... has anyone heard / know if mr. heater is working on a larger unit? It's handy (mostly because it's small, pretty well self contained and the O2 sensor is a nice addition)... but I'd really like to get buy with having one heater instead of one for nice days and one for cold days...

marine_man