• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rattle in your portable!

I've never seen it done my self but its probably one of those things. I walk past those clip on rattle reels all the time and think nothing of it. Then I get in my portable this year and I'm all [PoorWordUsage]ed trying not to step on or snag or kick my bobber rod while I jig with the other. So I'm sitting in the shack looking for a place to set my rod and I notice the cross bar in my otter is right over the holes I drilled. Thats when I got the idea to use those clip ons in my shack. And it works great, I can't beleive I've never seen it done before. I just let it hang, its not in the way, the line doesn't get caught on the ice shavings an its more sensative than a bobber. Just figured I'd share.
Matt

So how do you rig it ?
Do you hang a big ol' shiner on tip-up line or fill the spool with mono ?

I am going to pick one up and thought about loading it with tip-up line with a snap swivel. Then I can hook a shiner hook to it or go with a three foot snell of mono ?

Thoughts?

When fishing for pike I use 20# tip-up line and tie a steel leader on the end. I have caught several with-out a single break.(knock on wood). Bass will sometimes also take the offering. There have been a couple of times when I'll just hang two reels. It takes up a lot less room than messing around with two rods.

Been hanging rattle reels since I started fishing out of portables. Works awsome on any type fish. I have hauled in some 2lb crappie's and 3 to 4 lb walleyes on rattle reels. Love the sound of that bell!! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by tightlines (edited 12-10-2003).]

I've been using them for 3 years in my portable now also and they work great. I just clip it to the frame of my otter and I can concentrate on jigging my hole and not have to worry about missing a fish because I was not watching the other hole.