• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What lbs. test line to use for "eyes."

Teach-D

I have ice fished for a long time now, but it has been for panfish 95% of the time. This year I have a house and plan on going for some eyes. Question, what lbs. test line to use? For crappies and sunfish I use 2 lbs. test line. I do believe that is a tad light for walleyes, especially that elusive lunker that I never seem to find. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all in advance.

Hiya,
For me, sort of depends on what I'm doing. For either dead rods or slip bobbers, or jigging with a plain leadhead and a minnow for tough fish, I generally use 6, sometimes 4.

For jigging with swimming lures or flash lures like rocker minnows or other spoons, I actually use 10 and sometimes even 12. The reason for the higher test line is greater diameter. Thicker line slows the fall on spoons, and slows down the glide back to center on swimming lures like Jigging Shads and Jigging Raps, which I think helps quite a bit. Over the last couple years I've been adding a flourocarbon leader in similar break strenght, and I suppose it helps, but honestly, I don't think line visibility with active jigging lures is a huge deal, and I caught lots of walleyes on 10# XL before I started adding the flourocarbon leader. I don't think they look jigging lures over all that closely, and you're triggering the fish with the flash and slow fall. Different story I think on stationary sets like dead rods or slip bobbers though, which is why I go much lighter on those...

My $.02 - your mileage may vary grin.gif

Cheers,
RK

Im using 8/1 powerpro this winter!
I used it once so far this winter and all i have to say is it works great! (Except when that northern came and inhaled my lure and then proceded to steal it. :Prolleyes.gif )

------------------
Fish ON!

I never really thought about the line slowing the lure when getting back to the vertical hanging position. I would think that would be an advantage but I guess it would also restrict how far the lure will move outside the bottom of the hole. So,....you can have thick line allowing the lure slow short movement or you can lighter line allowing a more rapid long movement.

When using spooons such as the angel eye or glow devil, am sure this factor comes into play. The angel eye especially, because of its ability to travel far horizantal movements in the water.