• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any homemade wind anchor ideas?

Yellow Dog

What I do is set my house up with the back to the wind and drill two extra holes about 2-3 feet apart not quite through the ice drop a 2x6 and a couple short 2x4s to take up the slop and slide the my portables sled against the posts. The wind will keep the house tight up against the wood.
Then hook your tow rope around the 2x6 in case the wind shifts. When I am done fishing pull the boards and toss them in the sled.

Works well for me !

I know of people that take a rope and a tree branch, or small peice of 2X4, tie the rope to the wood. Drill a hole outside of the house and stick the wook under neath the ice, then tie the other end of the rope to your shak.

when your done, however, it can be a pain getting the 2X4 or wood out of the ice again. Usually need a spud bar.

klbowe - I like your idea. Which brings to another topic sorta related to this. Which way do people usually face there shak? Back to the wind, front to the wind, side etc???

Klboe

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 12-10-2003).]

When I'm done punching holes I'll drill a hole halfway through the ice right be hind my portable, then I leave the auger sitting in the hole and tie some rope around the auger to my portable. Not going anywhere.

Or else just tie the gas auger to the portable when you lay it on the ice. That will often times help out too.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

MJ5.....
You might not want to do that, it could lead to a bent auger bit. It's one of the reasons the auger companies suggest laying the auger down on the ice instead of propped up in a halfway augered hole. Even the weight of the powerhead and gravity will bend the auger bit after some time.
I use the ice anchors that screw into the ice, but I also bring a small cordless drill to help with the process.

Leaving your auger in a 1/2 drilled hole can also result in it becoming frozen in the hole. Water can seep into the hole and freeze solid. I had this happen at Winne about 5 years ago. It took forever to chip it out.

Animal--I totally agree. You NEVER, under any circumstance want to leave an auger in a half drilled hole. It only leads to problems. Have you ever tried to drill a hole with an auger that has a bent shaft? I have... it sucks.

I set up with my back to the wind. It's the easiest way to stay put. If I can, I set my vehicle crossways (blocking the wind) and set my house up on the other side of the vehile--that's what we did at URL last weekend when there were 30-40 mph winds. Didn't have a problem with any house "flying away"

Thanks !

Using the auger to partially drill holes and drop 2x6's in works well. just cut the boards long enough so they can be removed or kicked loose on cold nights. Make sure you take them with when you leave it would not be good if a snowmobiler it them.

Using the truck as a wind break works good too. when the ice is thick enough to drive.

I drilled 2 3/4" holes in the bottom of my fish trap guide and put in 3/4" screws 2 inches long with a large flat washer on each side to protect the plastic. I then drilled a 1/2" hole through the screws. When I get on the ice its easy to screw the ice ancor screws through the holes and the the shelter is solid with no shifting as you go in and out like with the rope anchors...GB

Last year I took two flying lessons, not good. I was in the shack both times. Any way here is what I did. I first used the wood in the whole trick. While that did work, it sucked trying to get the sticks out when they froze. I now use an old window weight tied to a rope and down a hole. When ready to move, a good yank and the weight breaks the ice and out it comes pretty slick. Be sure to use one on two corners or you will sway from side to side. This year I hope we get a little snow cover to prevent flying.

I bring my cordless drill with. You can drill a small pilot hole (1/4" bit) in the ice in about two seconds. Then, twist a 4" loop-eye lag bolt ($.30 each) into the pilot hole and tie off on it. You can twist them in with your fingers; longer lags you can stick one bolt through the one you are driving and use it to spin the bolt into the ice. It only takes a few seconds and they are solid.

Thanks guys, never really thought of it that way. I guess I'll have to use the laying down approach when I anchor my house. Normally I just lay my auger on the ice next to my portable in most conditions but when the wind wips through its nice to have something solid to hold on to. I'll keep that in mind.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 12-10-2003).]

Fleet Farm had a Field N Forest Outdoor Journal they publish. It has all sorts of articles about ice fishing and new products.

One of the new products is from Polar Vision and is called Ice Loks, a portable ice house anchor. It looks like you drill a hole a 3-12 inches in the ice, depending on the thickness of the ice. It is a weighted T shaped spike on a rope that you throw in the hole. The end of the spike has what is similiar to nails out the two or three ends of the spike and they hold in the side of the ice.

Since it is likely made in China, I think one could make something very similar on their own and reduce our national trade deficit. Shape a 1 by 4 into a T about the size of the hole and put some metal spikes out the ends and I think you would have a winner. The spikes grab the side of the ice hole and hold-hopefully. You would need to make two or four if you really wanted to be secure. Hook the spikes to the most secure part of your portable.

[This message has been edited by walleyehawk (edited 12-10-2003).]

I'm not sure if they're still available but there was a product available called "Ice Anchors". They are basically the idea Roughfisher describes but are self tapping which eliminates the need for a drill. Of course they are also more expensive. I have a set that I paid $6 for years ago and they still work great. I have fished all night in a 1 man portable clam in 20+ mph winds and have never had the house lose touch with the ice. I have the same success in a 2 man as well. I screw them through the floor on the up wind side and 1 in each corner have done the job.

This was a debated topic last winter also…
I use (2) 3/8” Pole Barn Screws 6” Long (9/16” Head) I put a “Fender Washer” on each of them. I then use my Cordless Drill to drive them in the ice, works great and takes all of 15 –20 Seconds for both. I space them a bit wider then my sled and about 2 feet back. I just use two bungee straps and hook to the sled this way it has some give if need be.
After I am all set up and have my lines in the water I drill a hole on the front and the back of my sled. I drill them as close as possible and auger up some water to somewhat flood the underside of the sled. With in a half hour the sled / runners are froze in. At this point you just reverse your drill and back out the screws and when it is time to move you just pack up and go.
I think it is plain nuts to drill a hole in the bottom of a good sled…

------------------
Hook Em Good!!!!!!!

S.D. Ice Angular;
NRA, DU, NWTF,
Varmint Hunter
& NAHC Life Member

[This message has been edited by S.D. Ice Angular (edited 12-10-2003).]

I've done the 2x4 in the hole and it works.

Now, if I can ride the wheeler on the ice, I face the wheeler into the wind and keep the Otter connected to the hitch...

------------------
Chells

I took a piece of threaded rod and bent a hook on one end.Just hammer the rod in the ice and it is very strong. when you want to remove it just hammer it down and hit it on the side. it should pull out easy.

cut a 12 inch piece of conduit drill a hole in one end tie a 20 foot rope to it. Also take a smaller rope and tie to the center of conduit. Drop conduit down hole holding rope 20 footer and smaller rope on center, pull tight with small rope in center and secure it to shack. untie and conduit will fall down and to retrieve.

Simple and cheap. OK..Here ya go.

Dig some old barn door style hinges out of a coffee can some place, the diamond shaped bat wing style. Find a hinge that best match's your ice auger size.

You grind the tips of the wings so they bite easily into ice.

Slip a rope through the innermost bolt hole and around the back and out the other side. Tie it off on the long rope side and your all set. An adjustable tie down strap is a good bet too, Same idea as the rope yet you can suck up the slop more easily.

Just drop the hinge into the shallow drilled ice hole and pull, the hinge expands and locks tight. When your done loosen the rope and jab the center of the hinge, it will release. Be sure to leave enough room under the hinge so this is easy to extract. Even if you do wedge one, a jab with the spud bar will kick it out pretty easily.

Bada-Bing...Bada-Boom....Cheap and easy.

I first made these some 25 years ago in NE SD to keep our pick-up style camper ice-houses from blowing away or tipping over in the wind. Those style houses were known to roll in strong winds if not anchored well. Wide on top, narrow on bottom, perfect for rolling in the wind.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

I used my "Mike Smith" shelter anchor for the first time on Lynn lake South Dakota yesterday. Wind can really send you sailing in a hurry out there! Got to say this is the best anchor system I have ever used. Thanks for the idea Mike. smile.gif

Ps last year same lake I used the drill half through the ice technique and froze my auger in. Ended up breaking the blade off trying to get it out! $109.00 later I have a new auger drill on my old Jiffy. DON"T DO THIS!!

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky