• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How important is line color?

LaVoi

In the past I have had a problem of cutting my line on the edge of the ice while pulling up a fish. So I changed to the braided nylon line that never cuts off however it is black in color. Does this spook off those smarter fish. Is there an alternative I should be using that might match the water better without having to lose the strength of the braided nylon? Thanks for any suggestions.

We actually did a little experiment on mille lacs with this,....we had 4 rattle reels all with 3 different lines, vanish, fireline and some green stuff, this was the year when the walleyes were starving and 20-30 a day was very common. That night 9/10 fish hit the vanish and 6/10 hit the green. We did this several more days until it was very obvious.....Line clor does matter, it will effect your fishing. Rule of thumb: use clear line for leader material.

I'd like to talk to the guy who decided to make colored line. The moron! What is it good for? If its good for anything its when clear line sticks out in murky water. I'm not sure if that ever been an issue for me.

I use colored line for pan fishing where the bite is very light. If you watch your line close you will be able to see the strikes when the line becomes taught. I use stren HV gold and iron silk in florescent green.

the colored lines is nice to see on the ice or floor of the shack when you are untangling the knots. i agree with bigguns1, you do need some clear mono leader. i like 3 to 5 foot leaders. clearer the water, longer the leader.last week at low, 2 rods, one fireline, other mono. fireline had no leader, 2 fish, mono caught 10. swithched fireline to a mono leader, both were close to equal from then on.just bought power pro to try next time.

Let me help you willi, I'm sorry I put 10 in the denominator. 9/20 -vanish, 6/20-green, which means the other five hit the fireline. sheesh it was just to give you idea I can't remember 2 years ago.The point is the fish don't like the darker colers in the clear water.