• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Icing Largemouth

Rick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

You don't hear about it much and it's even rarer to see it, but we have it here for you to watch:

Icing Largemouth: 56K Modem - CLICK HERE

256k High Speed - CLICK HERE

Recommend that you Right Click on the 256k link and "Save Target As" to download to your PC. Then play it right off your PC. The 256k is a bigger picture with better sound.

Let us know what you think?

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-10-2003).]

Ah, the zing of the drag, the buddy coming over to get a look see, you can not beat that. Here I sit at work. I was fortunate last winter to find an area that I consistantly was getting large mouth bass mixed in with the panfish right off and some time right in the weeds.

last weekend was out on a lake near brainerd and caught prob close to 45 bass through the ice beteween 3 guys in two days.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

Yep bass are an under fished resource during the winter. We target smallies too. I tried fishing them with a plastic worm too but they would not eat them. I've beed fishing bass thru the ice for a few years now. I find waxies on Fat Frys or waxies on Angel Eyes catch me more largies. The smallies will eat plastic. The Ring n Grubs work so do Glow Devils tipped with a whole small shiner.

Used to fish tip-ups with live golden shiners and dead smelt on a NW Wisconsin flowage. Half the flags were pike, half were LM bass. Didn't matter which bait, either. Both species took live and dead bait.

Quite a sight, tipping over a tip-up, setting the hook, and watching the gaping maw of a 4 to 5 lb bucketmouth coming toward the hole. shocked.gif

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

Hey stcatfish, exactly. I think the bass hit rigs without a leader a bit better than the pike rigs with leaders. We caught a 3 bagger and a couple 2's last weekend on fatties. Buggers are fun!

Small live bait hooks. 6 or 8 walleye hooks mostly. Gami's are good when you can find them. I agree most fish are lost at the hole. I think that's the rule with most fish lost ice fishing. When bassing with a tip up or bobber rig we set the hook as fast as possible.

Bass through the ice has been what keeps me coming back to small ponds in the winter. We use tip-ups with suckers, and the larger bass love them. We'll catch a few here and there with ice-jigs and pimples, but a lively sucker near bottom works well for us.

Their activity level seems to predictibly wane throughout the season though, with February seeing the fewest flags of any of the "ice" months for us. We've seen them on the flasher and camera during these times, but they seem to loaf around, uninterested in our offerings....live bait or artificial. I've never fished them in March before....too busy drooling all over my turkey calls.

What do you use for hooks on your tip-ups? I've resorted to using the tru-turn bass worm hooks through the center of the sucker. Seems unorthodox, but the hooks set much better through the hard mouths of the bigger fish, and seem to hold better when the fish freaks out near the hole. I've lost more nice bass near the hole than I care to mention. Do you wait to set the hook, or hit him as soon as you get to the tip-up?

Joel