• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fireline???

Yellow Dog

i use fireline only and i dont have any problems with clips. the only thing u want to use the smallest diamiter you can and retie about every 40 fish. power pro is about the same thing as fireline cost and efectivness.

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

When any of you use Fireline do you have trouble with the drag not working properly? Was I using too big a pound test for my reel? I think that's what it was, just wondering.

[This message has been edited by Iceman12 (edited 12-09-2003).]

i just use a clip tied right to the fireline. no mono leader. the mono leader gives you strech. if your worried about visability that small of fireline is almost invisable in the water. and no it wont help with gators. just last week i had a 5 pounder cut me off after i missed the head turn at the hole. nothen but steal stops that.

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

iceman was the line just spinning on the reel. if so you need to back your reel with about 20 yards of mono this will stop that. and i havent used fireline bigger than 8 pound diamiter ( ive caught 20# flats on 2 pound diamiter 8 pound test) fireline is much stronger than it looks.

hope this helps out

------------------
Troutman72

CPR <(((<

I rigged my walleye rod up with 8lb power pro this year. It is the first time I've used braided for hard water. It comes off the reel smooth with hardly any memory, and reels up even smoother. I did notice you do lose a little sensitivity, but that might of been because I havent fished out of a house yet this year and my hands were pretty cold.

I rigged my crappie rod with micro ice mono, but havent used it yet.

[This message has been edited by Farley (edited 12-09-2003).]

Troutman, I had that same problem with Fireline spinning on my spool, so after tying it around the spool, I wrapped a strip of electrical tape over the first wrap of line. Then filled the rest of the spool. Solved the problem.

Either put mono on 1st and tie the fireline to it with a back to back uni knot or put down some tape on the spool then tie it on. Because of the no stretch property it wont grab a spool. And make sure you set your drag to release a tad on a hookset or ya may have graphite in your teeth. No jumping out of the chair on hooksets either, just a flick of the wrist. Also a bit more limber of a rod than usual is nice for those headshakes, less hooks pull out.

As for superlines I like power pro much better than fireline. Its smaller in diameter and has no memory and more flexiable, As with all superlines you must put on a few turns of mono or electrical tape to keep line from slipping on the reel as mentioned in earlier post's...GB