• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to stop freezing slip bobbers

beer batter

Not looking to buy any new bobbers, I've got too much in stock already. Any tricks to keeping slip bobbers from freezing up? I've got the old slip bobbers where the line comes out the top of the bobber getting froze up.
I know the ice buster would help my problem but looking for more of a "spray Pam down the inside of your bobber" type of remedy if there is such a thing.

Thanks.

I totally agree with Spike!!! Don't waste your time with the old ones.
Scoot
P.S. I don't whole-heartedly endorse virtually any products, but it seems silly to me to use old style bobbers when ice busters are available.

Ice busters for winter save all the other floats for summer. This is the only non freeze way for me.

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

Thanks for the quick responses guys but I'm not looking for any sales pitches, just remedies for the "old school" slip bobbers.

I may end up purchasing some ice buster bobbers for my boys (ages 3 and 5) who will be coming ice fishing with me quite a bit this year. Problem is, I am the most stubborn SOB around and am dead set on finding a way to keep my current bobbers from ending up like a frozen tea bag being dunked in the hole. I'll probably be tending to my boys' lines most of the time anyways so I'll have some time to experiment with a few things. Just checking to see if anyone has found a way to beat this in the past.

[Note from Rick: Those wern't sales pitches smile.gif

I agree with all of them get some Ice Buster Bobbers at http://IceBusterBobbers.com ] smile.gif

Sales pitch to follow later grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 12-09-2003).]

How bout keeping it above freezing in your fish house?
If that's not possible, then your only solution is to buy ice-busters like the millions of other ice fishermen have allready done. smile.gif

Be creative......

here is one thought..

Take a sewing needle or small eye-screw (has to have a smooth eye that's small enough your knot won't go through but your line will) and screw or push it into your old style bobber. Run your line through the eye on the needle or eye-screw and "bingo" a pseudo ice-buster bobber.

I love the ice buster bobbers and use them exclusively, but you could always improvise with what you have.

beer batter, I to was stubborn. I kept using those little wooden slip bobbers. Last year I used a ice buster bobber. I admit my mistake. I should have been using ice buster bobbers from the first time I saw my dad using his a few years ago.
There is no remedie for the "old school" slip bobbers, ice busters really are the only way to go for ice fishing. And they are only about $1.50 a piece. Buy one and try it.

Try to reduce the area that may freeze up.

Try slip floats that offer a larger center channel opening and add a larger bead to compensate. Thinner superbraids in green will collect less ice too. They do not absorb fluid so they collect less ice. Try a super thin diameter superbraid line like 8/1 PowerPro, that will help considerably.

Coating the inside of the float with Canola Oil and the line nearest the rod will also help. Do not use animal fat based oils, they gel up and plug up the shaft.

In severe cold a small worm blower bottle filled with pure grain alcohol will come in handy. Every so often squeeze a tiny amount into the tube (just a couple of drops). Try not to lift the float completely out of the water until you need to pull that piggy fish in. Remember pure grain alcohol is very flammable stuff, so be very careful near fire or any ignition point.

If they still freeze up, just forget the floats, and go with deadstick rigging and use a stop knot for a depth reference point.

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

A little trick to keeping your hole open outside...

Drill a hole next to your hole you are fishing about 4 inches deep. Take a spud bar and make a channel between the 2 holes.

Put a coffee can full of charcoal in the second hole and light it up. It would help keep your slip bobber working too.

Just don't fish when it's below 32*. grin.gif

Sorry, somebody had to say it. I would somehow covery your bobbers so the line is attached below the water line. That's about the only way to prevent freeze up.

BTW. Ice busters are the only way to go!

Great tip Widetrack! I have done that myself with tip-ups and near my primary jigging hole, works very well.

I pre-soaked the coals and capped the can off with the coffee can lid. Then they took less work to fire-up once I got to the lake. I also added sand to the bottom to keep them from tipping over once they started to melt in. Hold heat well too that way.

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 12-09-2003).]

If you insist on using a bobber use those that the line passes threw a hole under water. Ones with the line passing threw above water freeze much more often. Either fish in a warm house or get some icebusters or thil bobbers that keep line in water.

I am stuborn too at times, but sometimes you just gotta let go. I have been using the ice busters since the beginning, and if you are still too stubborn to switch, then come on down to my garage sale this spring and I can sell you all kinds of other floats really cheap.

If you must use the old style bobbers try clipping a sinker above the bobber with just enough weight to cause the old bobber to sink slowly then attach a ice buster bobber above the sinker and your old style bobber will not freeze !

(Sorry I couldn't resist)

Skip the fries one day and Just buy one ICE Buster bobber to try it you will not be regret it. I don't sell them own a bait or sports store I just really like the ice busters for ice fishing.

not freezing up is only one of the many advantages. after the rig is weighted and lowered till the buster floats. pinch the buster 1/8 inch above water for a reference and cut off remander. this gives you an almost zero bouincy.(spell?) fish hardly notice it when they take it down.after you have many cliped busters, simlpy switch till one gets the right float hight.

My soultion also involves grain alcohol, but instead of wasting it on a stupid bobber, put a few drops of it in your mouth every few seconds. Before long, you won't care if your slip bobber is frozen.

fp

------------------
"Cast riiiiight....there."

Buy some Ice Busters, they work perfectly. They look like a gimmic but they're not. You can clip them on and off in a second. Try to do that with the old float. You can adjust them to the weight of your bait by cutting off some of the foam to get a perfect balance.

Ron Anlauf