• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Equipment Tips !!!

Bob Horn

When you get ice build up on your augers spray them with cooking spray and the ice will slide right off. Also after a days fishing before you charge your sonar battery let it warm up to room temperature before you charge it , this will prolong the life of the battery. Fish On

When drilling your holes, just before you break into water pull your drill out of the hole to remove a majority of the chopped ice bits and kick the area around the hole clean of ice bits as well.

This reduces the amount of slush in the hole you have to scoop out each time.

Also, if you're going out for a full day on the ice and you're fishing in a portable, pack a thermos bottle with some really hot soup. Something that you can sip right out of the bottle like Chicken Noodle.

It's amazing how much more stamina you have the after a hot lunch!

------------------
Chells

My tip is to tie down all of your equipment in the back of your truck. I made the mistake of not doing this last year, and to make matters worse I faced my fish trap in the wrong direction. Needless to say my trap parachuted out of the truck, with all my equipment inside (Vex, auger, heater, and rods and reels) I needed a new vex transducer and battery, my auger was dinged, I lost a few poles, and fragments of my Mr. Buddy heater can still be found on highway 50 outside of Yankton SD.

On a side note, does anyone know of a place that repairs holes in canvas for my trap?

Jiggerman, thre is a post like the quesstion you are asking in the equipment forum,

My advice is don't bring a 5" auger walleye fishing(last years big one got away cause I was lazy that day)
Even slight changes in color of a jig can have big affects on the biting of perch/gills/crappie.

Here is a sure -fire way to protect ALL your equipment,.....Slow Down while driving on the ice so that your vehicle does not "snow plow" into the lake. Sorry guys but sometimes things just have to be said. It wouldn't be much fun to find out how long your truck and gear can float without ice.-TROY

Buy lots of rods for different situations!
I currently use 5 rods for walleyes, 4 rods for panfish, 1 rattle reel, two tip-ups, and have spare rods and reels just in case someone in our group does'nt have the right rod for the right situation!
I bring broom holders that I mount to the sides of permanent fish houses that I attatch to the inside of the house and place my rods in the brrom holders so they are out of the way, and won't get steped on and broken. Only takes a minute to screw one to the wall!