• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ugly Stik Ice Combos

Dakota Iceman

I just picked up a closed face 24" combo for my 7 year old boy for when he goes fishing with me this year. I went with the closed faced (lever release style)for a couple of reasons...First so im not retying and restringing line constantly this year out in the shack and also for the durability/warranty on these little units. 7 year on the rod. Kids are kinda rough so i figured this was the way to go and on sale at cabelas for 24.00 bucks. Anyone have thoughts or experience with the Ugly's?

No experience with the uglys as such but I have tried closed face reels thru the ice. I didn't like them at all. First, unless you can keep your reel warm the line will freeze up and you end up unscrewing the face to dig out the line. Secondly, I usually fish with a bobber stop and have had trouble getting the stop out of the little hole in the face of the closed face reels, this might not be a problem if you got a reel with an over-sized hole in the face. Third is the drag. On my closed face reels I can not get the drags to operate smoothy enough to handle the occasional northern or even larger walleye that unexpectedly hits my light panfish rig.

Polar Bear

I like the ugly stick combo with an open faced reel. That is the only reel I would use for ice fishing. I would stay far away from a closed face reel. Nothing but bad things happen with those and ice fishing. I would recomend the open face reel and teach your son how to work the bail system and you will be a lot happier.

try that ugly stick with an open face reel and whatever line you like to use for whatever fish, sunnys, crappies, wallys . you will find it is a pretty sensative rod rigged right with plenty of back bone to pull wallys in the 28" to 30" range . match the rig to the type of fish your after is a key to me . i rig mine with 4 uglys with light / ultalight reels with spiderline 2lb diameter line and a gapen clip on bobber. this way if i want to jig a small spoon or deadstick a minnow i can easily

To everybody out there, I am presently about to "gear up," for the ice fishing season. I only have gone after sunfish and crappies usually. My question is what pound fish line should I use for walleyes. I am very partial to the smallest lightest line possible. For crappies and sunfish I use 2 lbs. line and it has worked great! Can I get by with 4lbs. test for walleyes or do I want to go even stronger? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks all!!