• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How does everyone heat their fish trap houses?

The Yeti

Yeah those sunflower ones work good. The one i am really impressed with if you want some real heat is one that is in the shape of a hexagon and is about 8 inches tall and the flame is in the inside of the cage. Gets really toasty and its easy to warm liquids on top of the thing with a pot.

Yep that should suffice. Or you might want to upgrade to a bigger tank. Just so your not replacing those 1pounders all the time. They have 5,10, and 20 pounders at gander. I currently have a sunflower on a 20. That 20 pounder takes up alot of room though

Yeti, I have the fish trap scout to. I use the Mr Buddy heater and love it. It's such a small shack.

Another tip. I put on a regular boat seat on it and a tip from BackWaterEddy said to sew some chain into the skirting. There's like fold to put it in then sew it on with some fishing line. This will limit the amount of wind that gets in. That was a big issue last year, but not this year.

I still haven't tested it out yet, but I will this weekend.

I'm also going to put on some clamps to hold onto my ice scoop that get's in the way all the time.

Hope that helps.

I use the Mr. Buddy heater and don't have any concerns except one......do not put it on the ice because the wind that does get under your tarp will blow out the pilot light.
Keep the Buddy in the tub, keeps your keister and back nice and toasty.
It doesn't do much for those colder days where the ice starts forming around the holes though.

COLDER DAYS: Mr.Heater cooker.

ENJOY!!

mr heater cooker with 20# tank. The tank can sit outside the shak and the hose can run up under the flaps. very little room is wasted while fishing. But I would recommend a slighlty smaller tank if space and weight is an issue for pulling the shak. If your pulling by ATV, you shouldnt have an issue.

Its a toss up between the focus-5,or the buddy heater. Either one works just fine.I use the shappel rover for running and gunning,and the otter small den when I take the wife out.Plenty of room and lots of heat.She loves it! Jig Stick ><sUMo>--------------><>

I personally like just my Coleman latern and a little Paulin heater. But on really cold and windy days on Winnie, Cass, or Mille Lacs I use a 5 pounder with sunflower heater.

One good tip that I do is I put the tank in a square 5 gallon bucket that way the tank does not freeze to ice or snow. And it does not get that big ball of snow underneath the tank so it falls over. Keeps it real stable..

YETI!!

The buddy heater is all you'll need for that small portable. You can even get a larger tank and have that sit outside and run a hose to the buddy.

Sew on some 3 foot section of galvanized chain on each side of the skirting. This will keep the wind out so the buddy doesn't blow out. This is an important cog for the setup. Otherwise you'll be using anything and everything to pin down the skirting from flapping in the wind.

With a portable that size you need to keep everything compacted and organized. The buddy is the way to go and don't forget about sewing on some chain. Being comfortable is what it's about which allows you to concentrate of dem fish.

Sorry for repeating myself, but this setup works like a charm for the fish trap scout.