• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where is everyone going this year?

My wife and I are heading to The Lower Manitou June 20-25. We are boating in from Essox Landing and Staying at The Manitou Weather Station Fishing Lodge. Looks like a very nice resort and I love the location. Might be a little early for Muskies but we are planning on catching some smallies and lakers, maybe even some pike. Should be a good time. We are looking to start a tradition.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BobT-Where do you stay when you fish around Hudson? I know the Hayes who run Lost Island Lodge just outside of Hudson. Good people. I like that end of the lake along with the NE end the best as your able to find protection from the wind if it decides to blow hard. Hope your stay goes well and catch tons of walleyes again this year.

10000 Casts- I think you'll enjoy the weather station. Its just being built up here recently and you should have a good time. Only negitive I know if, if your coming in from Esox, deals with the wind if its blowing the day you want to go to camp. If your familiar with Manitou your aware of this. The Lower Manitou can get wicked to cross up to where the weather station is located if its blowing. Once you get to camp, your set, got lots of protected areas out of the exposed windy area's of the main lake. I think Joe Jo is cooking there this year. Joe Jo is a great cook, hard to beat her cooking. Plan on packing on a few pounds if shes doing your meals.

Looks like a few people are planning to make a Canada trip this summer. Hope everyone has a great time and enjoy Canada. Anybody else like to share where they are going this year?

We stay at the Lac Seul Resort. You can find them on the net rather easily. Lost Island Lodge. Is that the resort located on an island due north of Hudson just through the narrows? If so, you boat right past the Lac Suel Resort as you enter the narrows.

Bob

Unfortunately it looks like my only trip to Canada this year already happened in mid-March...Absolutely the worst fishing any of us had ever seen. Went to the Lake Nipigon area and fished the big lake and some smaller lakes to the East. Fished hard sun up to sundown and got 1 laker in 4+ days of trying for 5 guys. Didn't help that the resort we stayed was an absolute disaster and the owner didn't seem to care that nothing was right. Never going back there again...

BobT-Your thinking of the right place where Lost Island is. Its right there on that island. I dont know if its true or not, but just heard a rumor about Lac Seul yesterday. Ive also seen it posted up on a couple differnt forums too. Hydro One is talking about lowering Lac Suel 12 feet to work on the [PoorWordUsage] in Ear Falls. I hope that isnt true, but if it is, Im sure it'll make for a differn't type trip (bring your mouth guards and extra props).

dirking-Hope your trips go well. Sure both of them will be a good time.

jerkin'm-sorry to hear about your trip. Ive heard great things for trout fishing in that area, must of been one of those times where the fish didnt want to play the same game as the fishermen want to play. Its fustrating when that happens, but thats why its called fishing and not catching. Hope things go better on the next trip or area you pick to head to.

CodyDawg-Lac Seul must have treated you well if you went for 20 years. Any reason for trying something else, or just looking for a change of pace?

Anyone else want to share where they are going this year? Lots of people hitting the water this summer, always good to see.

L&M- Thanks for the info on the land use permits, I guess it does make sense in a way I can understand the conservation aspect of it. I will try to stop in when we go up to Wabigoon, I remember fishing there wasn't very good, Just after the mayfly hatch, a guy in another cabin told us to go to P I's lounge.....didnt expect that!!!! Other than that it wasn't a very good trip. I tore the lower unit off the boat, and told the resort owner where he should put a buoy, he said "oh yea...a boat sank there last year..." Wouldn't that be a good place to mark????The lake was about 3 feet low he said. ! lower unit and 2 props later, we went home. Oh yea, I broke my fishing rod that year too. (But we still giggle over pi's) blush.gif

Pyrex-O yeah, PI, I dont think anyone who goes in the PI will forget the PI in Dryden. Its got a good following. Not sure when you were there, but Im sure it hasnt changed 1 bit. O yeah, the food actually is darn good too believe it or not, makes for an "entertaining" meal though. As for Wabigoon, its a differnt kind of lake. Not your normal Canadian shield lake. Takes differnt skills or methods to be able to figure out, that water is very unusual. The water vis is basically zero. The lake is wicked in rock reefs all over that you cant see until its too late, as you already know. The wind, Wabigoon can get very angry fast, gets super rough when the wind picks up, rougher than most lakes do. Dont feel bad, I havent figured the lake out completely either, all I know the PWT tourney last year did do well and some locals do very good too. So I know its good, just a matter of the skills Im using.

If you dont mind me asking, which boat in are you thinking about? Assuming this would be a first time to this lake your thinking about as its an only cabin lake? Might be able to give you some insight if I know the lake?

Originally Posted By: CodyDawg
We are switching this year. We did 20 years on Lac Seul in the middle part of the lake at Mahkwa. This year, we are going to Cedar Lake, Cross Bay, Manitoba. Hope it works out for us.

CodyDawg - A guy I work with goes to Cedar every year and he has nice photo album full of big walleyes that he has caught. All C & R. We did Lac Suel and a few years ago we moved down the English River to the Separation Lake area. It was a great move for numbers of fish we catch, how far w have to travel on the water to fishing areas and a lot fewer boats on the water. Post a report when you return.

Originally Posted By: magnum mike
Down Deep - How is the path into Weller? I fished Weller & Tupman about 30 years ago and it was an adventure getting in there.

Magnum Mike - It's been awhile since I've been into Weller, so I am counting on the owner of Timberwolf to have some information. It was pretty rough the last time I was in there. We fished Tupman last year and it was an easy access. Tupman is definitely small boat territory as the water off the launch is shallow and rocky. We did well on the walleyes and pike in early June, 07

Heading up to Pasha Lake Resort 3 times this year May 17th-20th, July 11th-19th, and August 29th-3rd Been going up that way for the last 8+ years and fishing is always excellent different lakes every trip and great fishing. My fishing buddy backed out for the May trip and with gas prices This might be the last year with 3 trips.

L&M,

The reasons we left were:

1. The cost kept going up by leaps and bounds, yet the facilities remained the same or went downhill.

2. The dead fish rule. You have to immediately kill a fish in order to keep it. Ludicrous. In 20 years I never saw anyone cull on Lac Seul. I did however, see people through away fish they were going to keep cuz they had been dead so long in the livewell.

3. The pike fishing was fair at best for large pike. A 40" pike on that part of the lake is pretty rare.

4. It was just time to try something new.

Any info I can get on Cedar would be wonderful. Especially concerning maps. Apparently they dont make a depth map for that lake.

justlivin-hopefully these gas prices settle down and top out somewhere (but thats pry hopefull thinking though), hope your trips go well.

CodyDawg-I hear you on the reason, time for a new change and see new waters. I dont know anything on Cedar but sure enough people can assist. Changing places always can be fun.

youngie22-PI (Patrica Inn) is across the street from McDonalds. Its a family restraunt in front/lounge in the back and a cheaper motel too. If your on a "guys" trip I would go in Mon-Tues-Wed Night provides a show back in the lounge. Taking the wife in the lounge might not be such a great idea on those nights? Weekends also have bands too. Hope you have a good Dryden trip this June.

Down Deep, Wish I could be more help. Thunder is one of those lakes I know nothing about nor heard anything about. All I know by the looks of when I drive by some nice homes are built on the lake, whatever thats worth. Im not even sure where the public landing is for Thunder? Assume theres one somewhere. Mabey through Aaron Provincial Park?

I do have a question for you, I was re reading this thread and saw you fly in north of Ignace for a camping trip, NW of Sturgeon or if its even NE of Sturgeon. Might save you a few $$, depends on the exact lake in that area flying from either Savant or Sioux Lookout would be a closer flight, in turn save you a few bucks on your flights. Something to think about, if you need names of airservices in either one of those towns I can get some to you if you want to get a quote from them.

Double D, Hope things line up and your able to go back this year and try to find a big one.

L&M,

The rumor about lowering Lac Seul is not true. I think there was an article in some musky magazine saying that. there was some chatter of this on another HSOforum and a couple resort owners (Ear Falls side) chimed in saying it wasn't true and that Lac Suel levels should be up a litttle to start the season.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for clearing this up. As I mentioned before I didnt know if it was true or not. I was only placing info up I saw and heard from other people as if it was true people needed to be aware of it. Since then we've even talked to acouple airservices who fly from Ear Falls and they too didnt know nothing about it. So I assume it was just a big scam to get people worked up over nothing.

I will be heading up to Cedar Lake in June and July again. I have been going twice a year for the past 5 years. Tremendous fishery. Many big northerns and good sized walleyes. Boated 215 Northerns in an afternoon last year. Biggest was 44 inches with many many 15-20 pound range. I go on a father son trip in July with another dad and his son. A little tougher going, but still awesome. My son has caught so many over 20 lbs. he is disappointed if he doesn't get a master angler which has only happened in one year. Les and Maggie are great people from Moak Lodge. They will set you up and cheap. Cabins are only $30 Canadian per night per person.

This year I am heading up to Canyon Lake north of Vermillion Bay. This will be my first trip to the lake. Trying to get an annual trip with some buddies. Anyone fished the lake in the past?