• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to due with those darn mice?

Splash44

tried the electronic mouse repeller. had to change the freq every 2-3 weeks. they become immune to the noise. also it takes several days for it to work. it drives mice away by them becoming annoyed of the noise.the pitch is a hight freq that humans cant hear, but dogs can.didnt notice my dogs avoiding the area.i prefer the trap or poison in an outside bld along with the dryer sheets. the 5 gallon bucket works great year round.

[This message has been edited by pj4 (edited 12-09-2003).]

I have used a whole box of moth-balls in the boat stored in a pole barn and it worked.
This year I am trying moth-balls and Irish Spring since I wasn't brave enough to just use the soap alone.

Dryer sheets seemed to work in the old Buick when it's stored the winter.

I hope it still works.

Ferny.

1. The electronic repellers do not bother dogs cats it states it on the package they do however bother gerbils and hamsters.

My neighbor bought 2 a couple years ago and within a week she said they were gone, and yes they were; right to my house. I started using them when the chewing started in the walls it took about 2 weeks for them to all leave. and what happens? the 2 next neighbors get mice problems. Now? everyone around my area uses them. I along with several of my neighbors would have to say they do in fact work real well.
Another poroblem? Leaving food out for them like dog and cat food in the garage does not help either.

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

A bulk style mouse trap will take an amazing number of the little critters without endangering household pets of choice. A cheap one that I have seen in action is a 5 gallon pail with a small dowel laying across the top. Put a small amount of peanut butter on the middle of the dowel. The mice will go out on the dowel to get the peanut butter, the dowel will roll and drop the mouse in the bottom of the bucket. Some people have put a quart or two of water in bottom of the bucket to drown them. That won't work in the winter of course since the water will freeze. It will catch many mice at a time. Of course taking the tent off and storing in the house will protect it also but the mice will still be there to ruin other things.
I did get a chuckle out of the skunk story though.

Frozenminnow -
I would be interested to know the brand of repeller you used. Like I said, I have 6 of them plugged in and they don't work in the least bit. Like you said, the label on mine said they won't bother humans, dogs or cats, but will affect hamsters. I got mine at Menards.
Thanks for any help you can give.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

We had mice in our house this fall. We do have a cat to and the cat got two of them. But there were more. My roomie bought those freq things because his mom had them. Any ways, it said to notice an INCREASE in activity in the mice for the first few weeks. And sure enough they were right. Then no more mice until a week ago our cat was chasing one in our living room. I took care of that and haven't seen another mouse yet.

So what does all this mean. I don't know, but I thought I'd share.

I gotta put dryer sheets in my boat dang nabit.

If storing your unit out of reach of the mice is not an option, I recommend Irish Spring Soap. Not just a sliver, but go out and buy a couple of bars of it, and place them in the unit.

My father and I have used this trick for a couple of years and it definitely has worked! He wouldn't store his pride and joy (new 5th wheel)in storage for the winter at the family farm without them. We have yet to find a single mouse turd in it come spring time.

2 bonus' to using the soap 1) Smells a heck of a lot better than moth balls, and 2) you can use the soap when you take the unit out of storage!

A flute will work. I read something once about a man ridding a town of rats useing a stinking flute! Can you believe that! I think the town was called Hamlet, or something like that. It's supposed to work well with chidren also. They get hypnotized I think. I can't confirm this, just something I read. grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

I agree with wallEYES. Get a cat that catches mice. I have three cats and had mice in my garage getting into everything (fish house, boat, snowmobile). I have not seen a mouse in the garage for some time now, although they did catch a flying squirrel a couple of weeks ago. I had never seen one before and my wife wouldn't let me kill it so I had to take it for a drive a few miles down the road and release it into the wild. In my opinion, I don't think it will survive unless it found someone else's garage to live in because it's getting cold out there. I did take some pictures of it but I need to get them developed. They look weird. Kind of like a cross between a mouse, a squirrel, and a bat.