• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to due with those darn mice?

Splash44

I took my 6x8 portable fish house off the garage wall this weekend and those da## mice chewed a bunch of holes in it and filled it with dog food. I would like some suggestions on what to do next spring when I store it for the summer?

Well you can use moth balls which some say work and others say they dont. Or hang it from the ceiling or lay it on top of a 30 or 55 gallon drum. Mice have a hard time climbing something that is smooth. I had the same problems storing my portable at my dads. I just brought it to my house and put it in the basement. Did get one little devil in there even in the house but no real damage. Let my dad use the house and he never brought it back just put it in his garage and nothing but one BIG mouse hole! Sometimes family have no respect for other peoples things. Sorry got off the subject but i have seen what those darn things can do.

Try tossin some clothes dryer softner sheets inside before storage. Some farmers around here put them insde combines and other equipment before winter storage and swear that it works to keep rats and mice out.

I always see those signs in the fall to shrink wrap boats for $x a foot. Maybe you could wrap a portable fish house in the heavy plastic and duct tape the plastic together under the plastic sled. Before you do, put a few of those dryer sheets in so the mice stay out and your house smells April fresh next winter. smile.gif

Walleybe--stray cat huh. Guess I'm gonna have to release into your garage some of the squirrels I ordered in the mail just to test your cat theory. Drop a few nuts behind any stray items when I'm over next time. Payback for todays game.

Guys thanks for the ideas, wrapping it in plastic did cross my mind,but I have never heard of putting fabic softner sheets in it.Might have to give that a try.
I already had the stray cat thing in my garage, it left way to many presents and boy did it start to stink.Talking about stinky things, 2 years ago I had skunk go into my garage one night. The next morning, not knowing the skunk was in there, I put my dog in the garage before work. When I got home I could smell skunk and I opened the door to let the dog out and the smell just about blew me over.The skunk was under the dog house, which I had on a pallet, and wouldn't come out. So finally after a couple days I had enough and it had to go, so I went in and took LONG stick and pushed the darn thing out from under the dog house. It was [PoorWordUsage]in the whole time I was pushin.Boy was I doing some major gagging, on the verge of losing my cookies.It finally ran out the door and as it was going through the fence of the dog kennel, I shot it.Now I had to get it unstuck from the fence.Was that ever fun.My garage stunk for along time after that.
I didn't mean to get off the subject,but I thought you might get alittle chuckle from my skunk experience.

I agree with Gissert - put the canvas in the Rubbermaid tubs, then seal them w/ duct tape. Then store them indoors - ie your basement.

Make sure the canvas is dry before you store it - so that it doesn't get mildew or moldy.

You got to store the tubs in-doors - cause if they are stored outdoors - like in a garage, the mice can still get at them - they can chew right thru a tub. A friend of mine stored his deer hunting clothes in a Rubbermaid garbage can w/ a lid in his garage - the mice made their way in - ruined a brand new set of B/O insulated bibs.

UG

I disagree with minneman. I have used the dryer sheet method in my camper and it seems to work. Hard to say why it did for me and not him. But they're cheap, so worth a try. Also, if your canvas has a "mousy" odor, try to get that out, as it can draw them in later. Just a thought.

been using the dryer sheets for many years with no problems yet. i do add new ones every 2 months. either ive been lucky or adding fresh helped.yet , bringing it indoors would be better, if you dont have any mice in the house.wonder if the metal garbage can with metal lid be the way to go?

Electronic rodent repellers really work.
I had mice chewing at the walls in my house I put 2 in and they were gone in a couple days then put 1 in the shed and 1 in the camper and it they work in the cold too.
Havnt had a mouse anywhere since getting them But put them in the house and garage they will travel from bldg to bldg.
You can get them anywhere like Home improvment stores and Fleet Farm.
Get the higher frequency type they cover more square feet.

------------------
Crappie:
It's the other white meat.

I have a bunch of mice that frequent my pole shed so I went out and bought 6 of the electronic repellers for my shed and garage. THEY DO NOT WORK ! I sat in my boat and waited for a while and out pops a mouse right next to the electronic repeller. He scurried around and the repeller never bothered him one bit. Don't waste your money. I have put moth balls in areas where there was a lot of mouse traffic. I'll report back the results.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

I have to agree with crossin eyes,those electronic repellers dont work. I had one in my house a couple years ago and a mouse ran right by it. Yesterday, I patched about 20 small holes and 3 big ones because of those da## mice. Thank god its an older portable and I didn't pay to much for it. I would like to take the shell off but it's stapled to the wooden floor. If the mice keep it up, I'll just leave it up for a mouse motel.

I'ld try the dryer sheet thing. I had mice in my boat, strategically placed dryer sheets throughout the boat and all the storage units and haven't had a problem. My aunt and uncle use dryer sheets in their campers and they don't have problems (and they live on a farm). Maybe it doesn't work for everyone but it has seemed to work for me. Give it a try, you're only out about $3.