• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to use for Spud Bar?

P Gottshall

Paul are you using the spud to check ice or open holes? If just checking ice I use a 5/8"X6' piece of rebar sharpened at one end. It doesn't weigh much and costs less.

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

[This message has been edited by LuckyFish (edited 12-06-2003).]

Luckyfish, I like that rebar idea. Since you can get it in different diameters, it gives you good options. I've made a few lightweight chisels by using 3/4 inch black iron pipe for the handle and a piece of sharpened automobile spring for the blade. Just don't use the pipe for a pry-bar. It bends too easily. Maybe 1/2 in. rebar for the handle and leaf spring for the blade?

Depends on what you are going to use the spudbar for. If you are using it for checking ice thickness and cutting holes this is all you need grin.gifwww.icesaws.com It is also a safety tool on thin ice! For me when it is in the chipping position the point is about 4.5 ft in front of me and if it chips through in one good chip the ice isn't safe! One good chip it will normally go through 3 plus inches.
It is not made for prying!

If you are chipping and prying you need a good diameter bar made of good material for strength and the chipper end should have a good weld on it so it won't frown.gif break off . It will end up being a little frown.gif heavy to take the abuse of prying and what ever else it is used for.

------------------
http://www.icesaws.com/

I use a piece of 3/4 inch black pipe. I ground one end to a point and made a handle with a rope loop on the other end. Works good especially when there is no snow on the ice, works like a walking stick.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

I made a lightweight Ice chipper out of a Pair or scissors that I took apart then attached one half to the end of a telescoping pole that extends from 1 foot to nearly 4 feet. I drilled a hole in pole and broke off the plastic handle surounding the scissors blade so it would fit inside of the pole, then put a small bolt and nut through it all, then I crimped the poles end down flat to the blade using a vise. I finished it off by putting a coat of JB weld over top of the crimped area and bolt/nut being careful not to get any on the blade.

It works great, alot beter than I exepected being so light and a little flimmsey where the pole extends . But It chips alot of Ice when used at a angle. I chiped out a 8"+ square hole in 4-5" of Ice in less than 5 minutes, without even sweating a bit.

Its also less noisey than using a heaver spud bar.

I also use a scissors taken appart for my safety ice picks. (I havent needed to use them yet, so I dont know how well they'll work? )

------------------

I'VE MADE SEVERAL - TAKE A 1/2" PIPE 5-6 FOOT LONG, AND WELD A CHUNK OF 2" WIDE 1/2"THICK FLAT BAR TO ONE END (3" OR SO), (SHARPEN IT WITH A GRINDER, OR CUT A NICE BEVEL WITH A HACK OR BAND SAW. THEN FLATTEN THE TOP END AND WELD A BIG WASHER TO TIE A ROPE TO. SPRAY PAINT IT A NICE VISIBLE COLOR.