• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats the funniest or stupidiest thing you've seen other people do on the ice?

klbowe

It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt, Then it's hilarious.

Most Funny moment watichg a guy walk out on thin ice carrying his buckets on the ends of a ten foot pole like a tight rope walker.

After that is is watching portables when they go trolling due to strong winds.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear some good stories about what you've seen the OTHER guy do on the ice. Like the guy I saw a couple years ago on URL, take a new Ford F-150 and try to jump an ice heave. He got the front end over it but got hung up right below the doors. It looked like a teeder-todder sitting there. It took 2 pickups and about 3 hrs to get him off the ice heave. Very entertaining!

Last year on URL I saw two guys get their auger stuck in the ice and they were getting spun like tops trying to get it to break through. I was hilarious! It only lasted 5 minutes or so before they finally broke through, but the image will be with me for a lifetime! I've seen some pretty crazy stuff, but nothing so funny.

Last year I was fishing on a lake covered in glare ice, no snow whatsoever. I heard a noise that didn't quite sound like a ATV or snowmobile. The noise din't go away after awhile, so I flipped open to see what it was. Here it was a motorcycle doing wheelies acrosss the ice. He was flying all over the glare ice with that thing. Strange enough at the time, but even more insane when it got dark and he was still going around - with no lights. Strangest thing I've ever seen on the ice....

------------------
Love them 'Pout!

Last year was probably one of the funniest. Not much to no snow on the ice and people going out there with out any grippers or spikes on there boots. Most of the year looked like a scene from a Benny Hill skit. Some days I laughed so hard at people falling and slipping I had to close the window on my portable I just could not take it anymore laughing so hard my side hurt with tears in my eyes. The best ones were when they got air under them. I know it is not nice to laugh at people who slip and fall on the ice but it is so funny especially if you know there is no snow and the ice is slicker than slick.

About 15 years ago, spring crappie fishing with the ice surface very slick and uneven the guy 30' away goes down and hits his head on his Mora auger. This results in a large head gash with the blood really flowing. His buddy runs to the car and brings back a "heavy day" sanitary napkin and slaps it on the victims wound where it immediatly stuck.

There were 6 or so guys out there and every time one would look over at the victim he would break up.

Two years ago, the first week of April, four of us were doing some last ice perch fishing on Waubay Lake. We were 3/4 of a mile from shore with ATV,s and sleds. The ice was rotting and the opposite shore had 30to40 yards of open water. Two guys drove out to within 50 yards of us with a Suburban. They got out, took their power auger, and drilled one hole. After eight inches of good ice, they hit crumbling ice and the auger pushed through it. It was like the Keystone Cops,the way they threw the auger in the back, jumped in, and tore back toward shore.

Funny to me, not to the "victim". Our campground in 1974 on Leech Lake's Portage Bay was quite isolated. One day a lone snowmobile crosses from Federal Dam. Very inebriated the rider asks if we have any alcoholic beverages for sale. I come out with a can of Buckhorn that hadn't sold the previous summer. He throws me a buck, downs the beer in two swallows and drives up the road. About four hours later he returns from visiting a friend 5 miles away and asks if we have anything to drink. He'd obviously been drinking the whole time he visited our nearest neighbor, but we had nothing left. He told me his name and then set off for Federal Dam. Apparently he forgot that we maintained a road to our dark houses that crossed a pressure ridge that annually formed 1/4 mile from shore. I suppose that Cheetah was doing about 50 when he slammed into the ridge that faced us. After watching his body fly about 30 yards from the sled I ran out to him on my Sno-Pony. He was sitting up, bleeding moderately from scalp and facial lacerations. I helped him up, he started his Cat and after asking again for a drink he rode it home with much-misaligned skiis. He left most of his hood and his windshield on the ice. Unbelievable that he only passed away this year.

I used to live in SE wisconsin, on Pewaukee lake the Ice was glare with no snow, and a decent wind. I saw some outa control yahoo, with a huge kite and and a snowboard get dragged accross the whole lake like he was a rag doll. with no snow to zig zag in he went almost the whole lenght of the lake and ended up t-boning someones ice house. It was pretty funny.

I got a couple for you, neither one is very funny but both are something I'll never forget, both happened on the same weekend.

The first was at the public access just south of Myr Mar on 169. A bunch of my friends and I were putting our houses out on Mille Lacs, the ice was 8-9 in. and solid but we used a 4-wheeler to pull them out from the landing to our spot. Having 10 houses and only 2 4-wheelers we had to leave the waiting houses on the ice near shore by the landing. After getting 8 of the houses out we went back for the last 2 only to find some one-who-thinks-I-am-silly had backed his pickup down the ramp to unload his house onto the ice. The guys house was very small and only weighed about 100 lbs. but he insisted he had to drive onto the ice to unload it so he could pull it out with his 4-wheeler. Needless to say the ice didn't support the truck and in it went, right next to my fishhouse. It took us 2 hours to jack my house up and get planks under it so I could get it out of the hole the one-who-thinks-I-am-silly sunk it into.

The second one happened later that day, it started raining, it rained so hard we had 4-6 in. of standing water on the ice. There were portable fishhouses floating by in the WHITECAPS, yes I said whitecaps. Finally the rain stopped and we got the houses set up, no snow for banking so we had to set the houses right down on the ice. About 3:00 in the morning I was awaken by a sound that sounded like someone was flushing a toilet, I got out of bed to turn the lights on so I could see what was happening and I stepped into 2 in. of water on the floor of my fishhouse. I got the lights on and looked down the holes that had now grown from 8 in. to about 16-18 in., I woke my brother up and said get dressed we are going to jack the house up, block it with as many blocks as we can find and get the HECK out of here. That is one of the craziest weekends I've ever had on Mille Lacs.

Ole

A couple years back the guys in our department at work decided to get 3 or 4 portables together and all go out ice fishing.
One of the guys, to put it nicely, is not the real outdoors type and hates the cold.
He showed up about a couple hours after we got there and had to walk out a 150 or more yards to where we were fishing. Almost no snow on the ice, much of it was bare and slick. After watching him slip slide his way out over what seemed like a very long time, he was close enough for all of us to see why it was such an ordeal for him.
Its winter. In winter you wear your boots. The only boots he owned was COWBOY BOOTS.
We dont let him live it down to this day and everyone gets a good laugh when its brought up.

I see the same thing played out again and again, year after year. I had the pleasure of seeing it again on Saturday evening.

We were set up on a crappie bite, and at 4:20 two guys drage their shelters up and whip out their power auger. This is a bit late, but they quickly punched their holes and started fishing with a minimum of noise. No harm, no foul.

At 5:00, one guy decides he has to be closer to me yet, so he rips two more holes and thumps around a few yards behind me. All the fish I had working vanished for the next 20 minutes.

Why do people insist in making a huge racket at prime time? I'll never understand....

I guess this wasn't so funny for the guy, but we were out fishing on a small lake last year,the ice had no snow on it and the wind had started gusting up around 40mph. Some poor guy was sitting in his clam when a big gust of wind came up and took him for a 30 yard ride.

i saw a guy with those minus -100 boots that look like a sweater around your boots get his foot stuck in a old hole....screamed bloody murder for like 2 hours...alot of people went to try and help him out and someone eventually ended up calling the sheriffs department out...the cop showed up and immediately got his foot out..? how? we never saw how he did it...oil? naw?

well maybe!

The stupidest - one of the first times I fished Nestor Falls on the LOW, we were just about to walk down onto the ice from a good vantage point when we saw 3 snow machines zipping across the ice at 60-70 mph heading toward the open water below the falls. I'm thinking - don't they see what's ahead? They did and proceeded to cross 50 yards of open water that's moving at a good clip and 30+' deep. One of the drivers apparently did wonder about doing this cause he let off just slightly and you could see the sled sink a few inches and then he realized he better not slow down.
I know there are races across open water, but if ANYTHING goes wrong for somebody crossing a 50 yd. stretch of rushing icy water 30' deep in Ontario in March, the only ones coming out alive are scuba divers with victims of stupidity.

[This message has been edited by uffdapete (edited 12-30-2003).]

If the advertised readership of this site is actually what it is, then I hope alot of people read this. I only mention it once a year but it's the most stupid thing anyone can do when going ice fishing in my opinion:

1. If you think that you can cruise on out to a lonely shelter right at prime time (sundown) with your rig and setup right next door after ripping a couple or three holes with your power auger, slamming the truck door or tailgate three or four times and then clunking and banging things around in your shelter getting "ready" to fish-then you get exactly what you deserve from the individual you have infinged upon (and moved the fish into the next township) if they decide to come over and give you some constructive advise (or otherwise.)

2. There is no #2.

Life is tough enough. Don't be stupid and make it tougher on others and yourself by doing this type of thing. Thanks for listening......

Couple things, all involving the same kid.

#1. Few years back, we planned an all-day ice fishing trip. Tim's job was to bring the liquid refreshments. All of us being 17 or younger, the beverage of choice was Mountain Dew. Tim thought he'd drill a hole to put the 2 liter bottle in to keep it cold. The bottle was still sealed, but he thought it would float. Drops it in and watches it sink VERY SLOWLY to the bottom of the lake. Tim stood there for a couple minutes waiting for it to bob back up. Obviously it never happened. That was the funniest thing I've seen.

#2. Last Saturday we decide to go out ice fishing. I haven't seen Tim for a couple years, and he hasn't been ice fishing for quite a while. He shows up wearing tennis shoes.....apparently he forgot ice fishing usually involves cold weather. Not to mention we got a bunch of rain on Saturday, so there was about 2" of water on top of the ice. That was the stupidest thing I've seen. A couple bonus things happened that day too....guy getting auger stuck in ice with no cleats and spinning like a top, me running towards rod to catch fish, wiping out, and knocking the bucket of fish over on top of me, involuntarily releasing a nice perch...nothing like landing in 2" of ice water.

French Lake last year:

No snow on the ice, and about 60 permanants and portables fishing in 30 feet of water in a big group. TRuck pulls up to the landing and unloads snowmobile and big wooden box on metal skis. I don't know if this guy is a "guide" or what but he has this couple sit on the box while he tows it out towards the group of houses. Now with no snow this snowmobile sounded like a single engine sesna(sp?) goin accross the ice. So the guy get's right smack in the middle of all the houses and gets off leaving the sled running, and checks depth with a flashlight style depth finder, the thing is he stopped right between two portables that were about 10 feet apart. The guy gets a reading, looks around a little bit, get's back on the sled and starts goin all the way accross the lake with these two poor people sitting on the wooden box, facing backwards, the woman with a look of shear horror on her face. So he get's all the way across the lake, without stopping to check any other depths, where there is no one within a country mile, sets up their stuff and comes back to the landing, driving right through the group of houses again, loads up the sled and leaves.

Fishing on a lake near Willmar a few years ago. Slow bite, not much action when I hear an ATV zipping around pretty fast. Look outside my portable and here's a 4-wheeler with a couple teenagers pulling a three-wheeled office chair around with a tow rope tied to an armrest and an obviously drunk "rider" sitting on the chair with a beer. They took turns and didn't last too long until someone wiped out pretty good. Surprise, surprise. That must have hurt.

A few years ago I was the first person to drive on this lake. I had walked the entire route the day before and checked, so I was pretty sure it was safe. I skirted the shore and only drove out a 100 yards to where I was going to fish. I set up my portable and fished. All of a sudden water was woofing up from my holes. I looked out and saw a full size 4x4 truck pulling a 8 x 12 permanent shack at a pretty high rate of speed. He is coming right across the middle of the deepest part of the lake, which had been open water not that long ago. I expected to see my first truck go down (live) until he pulled up a short distance from my shack. I told him he wasn't too bright, and to get the heck away for where I was. He unhooked his shack and ripped back across the middle of the lake.

This is probably more under the classification of sick but none the less it is true and some what rewarding........Last year I was on Green lake trying to get a Walleye to bite, when just at prime time, two very obnoxious drunks come riding up on their 4-wheeler . Neither one said a word to me as they started chopping a hole about 10 feet from me. Just when they had three holes punched the one guy gets super sick had loses his barley hops all over the ice. I sat thinking "hey this is amusing" when all of a sudden just as his fourth warm batch of The Brew That Grew With The Great Northwest leaves his mouth, his top denture flies out and lands in amongst the steaming puddle of lost cheer.

Now I try to keep a fairly open mind especially when some poor sole is having problems, but this was too much and I started laughing until tears rolled down my cheeks. Just when I thought "If only I had a camcorder, the $100,000 would be mine" Old brew spray picks up his teeth walks over by his hole to wash them off and dropped the dang things in the lake. I about died right there........

The two guys after a bunch of swearing and threatening (seems they didn't see the humor) finally got back on the 4-wheeler and headed for the landing. By the time all this was done it was dark and my stomach hurt so bad I just picked up my stuff and headed for home, I know I will never forget that day on Green.

When I was just a little kid, My dad took me ice fishing to Lake Reno with some of his buddies. We had several rented houses in close proximity. One of my dad's friends saw a fishing outing as a way to kill two birds with one stone---he liked to booze it up a bit as well. Anyhow, he got pretty jacked up and the day was kind of warm...with about an inch of water on the ice. Naturally he slipped and fell---and ended up soaked. Being that my dad and his other buddies were relatively tolerant and understanding, they helped old "Roy" out of his wet clothing and bundled him up in a blanket while the clothes dried over his fish house stove. We weren't fishing more than 2 minutes when I heard a "clunk" on the side of our fish house. My dad and I looked outside and there was Roy---naked as a jaybird---throwing snowballs at the other houses and laughing hysterically. He didn't laugh too long however, because within seconds his fish house was engulfed in flames. Evidently his clothes had fallen onto the stove and ignited. Anyway...that's the way we delivered him to his wife when we got home that night. Naked, wrapped in a blanket, and still something less than sober.