• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I want to start ice-fishing, I have $500, what should I buy???

Coach Dog

I've said this so many times. Use used.

Used flipover shelter $75 to $150.

Used Vexilar FL8-SLT $150.

Used power auger $150.

New heater $50.

The fact that you're completely outfitted with the Big Three (and a heater to boot)?

Priceless.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]

I agree with you P Gottshall
the nils master hand auger is one of the best investments I have made. I was kind of skeptical at first but after using the auger last year for the first time I was amazed. This is a very good hand auger to start out with. The nice thing about this auger is if you later want to upgrade and put a motor on it you can and do not have to buy another brand new auger just buy the motor and take the handle off and the motor will attach to your former hand auger.

I would stick to the basics on a limited budget. Better your equipment in the future when you have better defined your personal needs, or simply want to upgrade.

You need an auger to drill holes.. I would recommend a decent hand auger to start with, it will leave more cash for other needs.

Rods and tackle .. you can use your open water reels to get started.. $100 should get you a couple rods, tackle(to start with), tip ups, etc.

A portable ice house should come next.. If you save enough by buying a used one, you should be able to swing a heater. Fishing is much more fun when your not in the wind.

Good Boots are a must, I assume you probably have decent clothes already(it is Minnesota).

Flashers do help, but are not a must. Older flashers work good too.. and they dont cost $250. If nothing else, the clip-on depth guages(lead) will always tell you exactly where the bottom is .. and they cost about $1.

There is a lot more to ice fishing than a Vexilar... they will not drill holes, catch a fish for you, or keep you warm when its cold outside... they only tell you a fish is there(providing its in the cone radious). They are a much more useful tool when fishing deep water for suspended fish.

HT Enterprises makes a hand auger for $26.99

You can go to Wal-Mart and get a rod and reel combo for anywhere from $9.99 on up.

Frabill's Ultra portable is $179.99

Used FL-8, $150.00.

Little Buddy heater, $79.99

With a little change left over.

Dave,

You & I agree:

#1 Be safe
#2 Be Comfortable
#3 Get the basics
#4 Upgrade later

The only place I'd disagree is on the flasher. You don't absolutely need one, & you for sure don't need a Vexilar.

Until last year I never had a flasher. Then I picked up a Humminbird for $5 at a garage-sale, & life's not been the same since. My buddy doesn't have one. We sat next to each other. He did his normal "drop it to the bottom & crank up three times". I was next to him with my flasher, & did my "drop it three feet over the fish, then lower it until they react." Guess who caught 'em?

A flasher doesn't need to break your pocketbook, but I rank it very high on the needs list, well above a shelter. Of course I live in cental IL, & I'm rarely out when it's below 20 degrees. I'm sure up north my priorities would be different.

Just my thoughts,
Paul

I agree that you can get by with just a hand auger, no flasher & minimal gear, but for me it's more fun & productive with good equipment. If you spend $500 you should be able to get everything you want and more. I just sold my 4 year old Fish Trap for $75. I've seen lots of deals like that. You don't need a new flasher. Before I upgraded I used a Micronar FL-8 for years & it worked great. It's basically the same 3-color flasher they make today. I bet you can find a Micronar, Hondex or old Vex for $75 or so. You'll never regret getting a power auger, especially later in the winter. I agree that you don't need all the goodies & can still have lots of fun, but with a $500 budget you can get some nice stuff. Vern

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Get used as much as possible when 1st starting on a limited budget. Take a look in the for sale forums here. A lot of quality used ice fishing gear is being sold for pennies on the dollar compared to new.

If you have more money, get the good stuff right off the bat. It can easily make your time on the ice more enjoyable and comfortable when you do.

Essentials:
1. Knowledge of ice, weather, and travel safety when ice fishing. Plenty of info around and best of all it's usually free.

2. Something to get your offering through the ice. From spud bars to power augers.

3. Something to present your offering to the fish and hook it. From hook and line on jig sticks to ice rod and reel systems geared for differant types of ice fishing situation. From plain hooks to jigs, spoons, stick baits..etc. etc. etc.

4. Good winter clothing. You can run the spectrum here, depends on how long you want to stay out in what temp range and how comfortable you want to be.

Go with quality geared towards the conditions and the type fishing you want to do in the top three. It will also help you to think "mobile" when ice fishing.

After that, everything else is geared towards comfort, improving your ability to catch fish, and/or your safety.

Coach Dog

This idea may not help you right now, but
if you can hold off on some of your purchases, wait until about Feb-March. You will start to see clearance sales.

I picked up a Strikemaster 7" gas auger on clearance at W-mart 2 years ago for $173. I screwed up last spring - they had 2 4x6 suitcase style shelters for $45 each. Should have grabbed them pups - I didn't - thinking I would sleep on it. Well I slept, but some one out there beat me them. frown.gif

UG

Round-trip ticket to Tampa $329
Bucket of shrimp $6
Cab ride to the causeway (after stop at Piggly-Wiggly, see next item) $22
Styrofoam cooler, 12-pack of Strohs, ice $13
That leaves over a hundred bucks for food, sunscreen, and cigars.

Dave

I see you guys are giving pretty good advice, but, how the heck is this poor guy supposed to start fishing after he's either chipped or drilled his hole without a good high quality ice scooper (hint- The Big Dipper). It'll serve double duty as a shovel too for banking and moving slush.

I remember my first ice fishing setup; an axe, a line wrapped around a 6"chunk of 2x4, and a red and white daredevil. (I strained with my fingers)
That was all my dad said I needed to catch northerns thru the ice.
Now I have at least 4 fish houses, (not counting my experimental teepee style and an old homeade portable a buddys had for 5 yrs) plus enough accessories to fill a good sized storage unit.

Here's what I'd do with the $500:
$50 on two rod and reel combos (berkley lightning rod will do the trick)
$50 on tackle (bobbers, jigs, line etc..)
the best auger you can get for $150
not more than $150 for a portable
Sunflower and propane tank $50??
DO NOT buy a vexilar, they are over rated. Use the lead bomb depth finders, they'll tell you how deep you are and if you pay attention, they'll even tell you the bottom type. Lake maps are free from the DNR HSOforum so you should have about $50 leftover, which will buy you 3 cases of beer and if you have anything leftover, buy a ice scooper witht the chisel on the end.

If I were just starting out on buying ice fishing stuff I would just buy the necessities, like 3 rods and reels, a couple tip-ups, and a portable shack. Thats what I would do if I was just starting out.All I need to do now is get the shack.I have one that I can use whenever I want so I'm not in no hurry to buy one of my own.And it all depends on how you want to fish.If you want to be hardcore no shack is the way to go.If you want to be spoiled get a portable with a heater buy a t.v. a radio and a camping stove to cook up some burgers in your shack while the bite is slow.It all depends on what you all want to buy to suit your wants and needs.

oh and I almost forgot you dont need the vexilar if you like to fish in clear water. you can see the fish biting your hook just by looking down the hole!!!I caught more fish that way than using a vexilar.A vexilar doesn't show you which fish to catch.If you see the fish you can pick out the big ones from the small ones the vexilar doesn't let you do that!It just shows a fish is biting your hook (i thought thats what bobbers were for)A clear water lake is the only way i like to icefish.I drill a hole drop my line and if i dont see fish by it in a couple minutes after jigging it a few times i move.If I see fish and they arent biting i try a different jig or bait if that dont work i find more fish.Thats the best way I found that produces the most fish.