• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bio bait report page

troutman72

Used my shiner sample of Bio-Bait on a trip to LOW. It got beat 3 to 1 against a live minnow, but the tables turned well when I used a small minnow and Bio-Bait together. it then outfished the jig with just the live minnow. I will buy it in the future. it is very durable and extremely convenient. It did increase my catches by adding it to a jig or hook along with a live minnow. Although it did not outfish a live minnow, it did prove it's worth and it would be a ton easier to keep, maintain and use compared to minnows. I will provide more reports next weekend as I saved a few for another "test site" locally.

Used both types of the sample Bio today. Really light bite for the crappie on a small Metro area lake, I wasn't able to tell if a small chunk of Bio helped or not. 12 fish over 2.5 hours, 6 with Bio and 6 with just a waxie. Vermillion is next, I'll post results again!

I got on the ice today for the 1st time this season. Wow. Clear skies, not a bit of breeze, and temps about 32. Perfect. My brother and I hit the ice at noon. A neighbor was just setting up. We only fished for 4 hours. Here's the test
#1 Neighbor- used jigging rap- 3 perch, and 2 bass.
#2 My brother- used a rattle spoon tipped with waxworms-10 perch,and 1 crappie.
#3 Tip-ups- jighead and minnow- 3 perch.
#4 Myself- Glow jig or Rattle spoon tipped with waxworms and Biobait- 10 perch.
The bite was very lite all day. So light that you couldn't even use a bobber. You had to go by feel, thus the tip ups went off all day with no success. I didn't notice catching more fish on the Bio bait, but it stayed on the hook better and was a lot easier to handle than waxies. I'll make an attempt to post some pics of a few of our fish. Here Goes. Again. And agian.

ice_fishing_12-14-03_016_1.jpg
ice_fishing_12-14-03_012_1.jpg
ice_fishing_12-14-03_002_1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Waterbeater (edited 12-14-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Waterbeater (edited 12-15-2003).]

Dave:

Luckyfish and I hooked up today over on Lk Washington by Mankato. We were in 7' of water, soft bottom, no weeds. The fish we caught came mainly on waxies. We got a couple on Power Bait wax worm imitations, and a couple on crappie minnows. None on Bio Bait and none on Power Bait white crappie nibbles. Fish were tight to the bottom.

Fish were decidedly neutral - they really studied the bait for a long time, before they would bite, if then. Once I coaxed two fish up 3' and they wouldn't bite. Some hits were so light you could barely feel them, we also had several fish that we caught due to seeing our jigs turn red on the Vex's.

We ended up w/ 1 crappie (9.5"), a fat perch at 8.5" and the balance gills, 1 at 8.5", and the rest at 7-7.5".

Lucky was using a green vertical glow jig, I had a pink and white Rat Finkee. We also fished off to one side of a larger collection of houses and people.

Lucky:
Thanks - had a good time.

UG

Thanks guys for the great reports... sounds like a mixed bag of results.
Cool pictures Waterbeater!
Looks like you had a great time.
Catch'n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family

One.thing.we.all.need.to.remember...
..is..the."Fickle-Fish-Factor".

It.is.very.rare.to.find.one.bait.that.will.produce.100%.of.the.time.

I.take.this.into.consideration.always.when.guiding.I.need.variables/options.for.baits.

Preferences.can.cahange.hourly,so.you.need.a.few.bait-options.to.fall.back.on.

If.anyone.tests.a.new.bait.like.Bio-Bait.and.works.only.from.the.assumtion.
it.will.replace.all.other.live/dead.baits
..they.will.be.quickly.disillusioned.

Keep.this.in.mind..one.tool.in.a.pool.of.tools..some.work.better.today..
others.may.shine.brightest.tomorrow?

Right.now-I.am.about.50/50.sold.on.Bio-Baits.

For.me..that.is.not.too.darn.shabby.for.any.bait.Eh!

------------------
Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

Good words Backwater Eddy. I see your dashes changed to periods. Bet you can`t wait for santa. I haven`t tried any yet, I was waiting to see a few post on what "flavor" was producing best but I am going to just order a variety and go from there. Fish On

*whew* I thought I lost mine before I got a chance to try them. I head out Wednesday for local crappies. Report to follow. I've got waxies, crappie minnows, pink Gulp, and Bio-Baits. I plan to give them a fair, scientific test on a lake that produces lots of slabs every single time I fish it. (No, I won't tell you where I'm going)

Eddy I whole heartedly agree there are different factors that dictate fishes behavier every time out. My policy is to go with live bait and down size when the fishing gets tough. In the case that UG referred to on an earlier post is a prime example of those conditions. The fish were in a neutral almost negative mode and it took a lot of coaxing to get them to bite. So I stayed with the live bait while UG went with a mix of waxies, bio bait and the berkly product( for testing purposes). I believe the live bait produced best in this condition because of the mood of the fish. So yes one bait will not produce all of the time and in every instance. You do need to experiment to find out what is best each and every time you go out. Thus the name fishing instead of catching. grin.gif

------------------
Good Luck & Good Fishing. Lucky

I aways take along a variety of bait.Fish can change their preference in a hurry and you should be prepared.
Today I was fishing cats through the ice and picked up two on two different flavors of Bio Bait.One came on catfish Bio Bait and the other on the shad flavor.When the bite slowed just for giggles I tried crawler flavored Bio Bait and the fish rose quickly to investigate but would not take it.At this same time no other bait I had along would even get them to react whatsoever.When the bite picked up again they were going for emerald shiner heads.Then later they would only take the mid section of a golden shiner.
I picked up 10 cats today.Two on two different flavors of Bio Bait,three on golden shiners(gut section) and five on emerald shiner heads.The fish were enticed into biting on something different throught the day.It good to have a variety.I think Bio Bait can give you that variety and is convienent to cary along.

Dave:
Thanks for the fast shipment on these I gotta say wow this stuff does make a difference!

I went out to Boulder again today at 6 am, I was almost to the big rock pile using a shiner at first and got 1 walleye size of a fish stick and a few good bites. It seems that they are going for the larger shiners for some reason. At about 10 things went dead 10:30 I tried the bio bait and had another small one right away on a buckshot using the shiner meal worm ,about 6 in from the bottom. Then the play time was on
I let the buckshot hit the bottom a few times this produced a decent perch. I kept bouncing the buckshot off the bottom and I got hit by something distructive I set the hook and I snapped my first ultra lite of the season. I am seeing this as a good thing for the fishing world. The bio bait stays on real well and it does not stink like some of the other baits. Only suggestion for the shiner meal worms?
Don't bring Flamin hot Cheetos with, it could be a rather terrible mistake they look alike.
I did'nt try the jig you sent, I wanted to ask your opinion as how to rig it right. I was thinking a split about 10 in up?

Thanks agin Dave
See ya at Winnie

------------------
en kala
(I fish)

Well, I found out they work (at least the larvae ones) on both kokanee and splake. They really didn't radically outperfom other baits, but they certainly weren't any worse either. Their convenience and durability (over waxies) more than made up for the 'tie'! I'll definately keep them in my 'toolbox'.

Frozenminnow...
I an not sure what jig I sent as a sample... likely it was a Hook-Up Floater.
Truth be told I most nearly all ways send out something FREE with an order... kinda like buyin a box of Cracker Jack and getting a FREE prize in the box... I like that!

Thanks guys for all the great reports on Bio-Bait. Please continue leeting us know your results!
I like the "full sized" product and being able to pinch-off the right amount to hook on. Ice Bits is kinda small for most of the lures I fish with... but works ok for tear-drops and 1/64oz jigs.
Catch-n
Dave Hoggard

------------------
Fishermen are catch-n on
Catch'n Tackle
For Bass, Walleye, Pike, Lakers, Trout, Panfish
Used by FishingMN Family