• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lets get dirty! Mikes Dual Sport adventure!

mjhowe

A couple years back, a buddy started talking about doing a trip from Montana to Inuvik, North West Territories, about 100 miles above the Arctic Circle. We would take as many un paved roads as possible, staying as far off the beaten path as possible. He and another frien already had modified Honda XR 650 L "Dual-Sport" bikes, so that was the obvious choice for me, interchangeable parts between the bikes made carrying spares a lot easier.

I found a used 1994 stock, low miles bike and began my "project".

First up was a 6 gallon tank, a total re-work of the carb, new pipe, smog elimination kit, and a major "diet". I junked the "television set" tailight assy, misc brackets, etc. Added an "hsolist" mini windshield... All told I took about 22 pounds off the bike.

3-modded_up.jpg

Next was a trip to Artistic Armor in Sand Point, Idaho. Chris was one of the guy's going on the trip and he is a master fabricator. He does some pretty good metal work too! whistle.gif

We designed and fabricated the front and rear racks for protection in a crash, and luggage carrying capability. It definately changes the entire appearance of the bike! It also added all the weight back plus another 9 pounds.

4-armored_up.jpg

Next I had to find some luggage that would be tough enough, hold enough and have some flexibilty for differing needs and situations. I found the saddle bags online and used my old bag from my "B.O.B." bicycle trailer. We actually formed the rear rack around the footprint of the big rucksack. It is a totally waterproof bag that swallows tons of stuff! The tank bag was also found on line, the odd shape of the BIG Acerbis gas tank meant I looked at a LOT of bags before I found one that would work

5-full_on_touring_mode.jpg

I had the cleanest and most functional luggage system on the trip. We left Montana on the 26th of June, 2006 and rode like madmen to get to Dawson City, Yukon Territories on the 30th. We made our destination of Inuvik, riding the 500 mile dirt road from Dawson to Inuvik On July 1st and 2nd, arriving in a torrential down pour and, after eating lunch, decided to turn around and head back as quickly as we could. Its a LONG story that I hope to have published some day, suffice to say, we survived it...

Here are some other random pics of the ride. 3 weeks, 6000 miles on dirt bikes through some of the most beautiful country imagineable...I shall return!

17-mike_circle.jpg

Inuvik_Run_2006_144.jpg

Inuvik_Run_2006_217.jpg

Inuvik_Run_2006_281.jpg

28-Alberta.jpg

Yeah, I created my own motorcycle category (dual)Sport-Touring!

Would this bike make a good Minnesota bike? I ride regardless of weather, and tend to seek the back-est of back roads. Not necessarly trail riding, but are there dirt roads to explore? Old mining trails etc?

I have no problem spooning on street tires...I have been known to humble a sportbike or two in the curves on this thing. Its an amazingly competent street bike when set up properly...Darn thing likes to wheelie too grin.gif

My dad who until recently was a Honda Goldwing / Yamaha Venture type of rider got a new idea in his mind that he would enjoy a dual sport. A couple years back he purchased a Suzuki V-Strom. The first thing he did was put a large windshield, bags and a trunk on it. He enjoys the versitiity it gives him compared to the huge touring bikes that he previously owned. I think it was one of those mid-life crisis purchases. Anyways he has always dreamed of doing a trip like that, however with my mom riding her new ST1300 behind him, he will have to wait a little longer for that trip. He has taken his V-Strom on his trips the last few years and claims that is is a great touring bike. Way lighter than his big Yamaha. If you ever publish your story, I know I'd be interested in reading it. grin.gif

CA