• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice lures/jigs for pike?

lucky7

Pike fishing is not nearly as popular as trout fishing in my neighborhood. Therefore, I was hoping my northern friends could recommend some lures or jigs that work for pike. I look forward to your advice!

------------------
lucky7

I will always feel that the best way to catch pike early ice would be by jigging with a jigging rapala, buckshot spoon, or airplane jig. I am from wisconsin. I put out two tip ups and move around with the jigging rod. Hope that helps.

Cubbies

AJ:

I love to fish Taylor but for Macks. If you have ever heard of Stagecoach Res. (By Steamboat). It has begun to grow some lunkers. See Avalanches post under "Are we the only ones" in the Colorado forum. These are some lunkers. So to answer your qusetion I'm after Northerns wherever I can get em here in CO. If you're ever out this way during the hardwater season give a shout maybe we can land some water wolves together

------------------
lucky7

Lucky7,

I would love to take you up on your offer, if I ever get back that way. I cut my teeth on the Taylor river above the reservoir, on Illinois creek and all the other tributaries up that way. Mostly brookies, but some nice browns, cutthroats, rainbows and cutbows.

Those where the days, $2 in tackle was all it took.

Good luck up at Steamboat.

------------------
Don "AJ" Peacock
[email protected]

Lapeer, Michigan

Bim;

thanks for the tip....AJ you are talking about water I am very familiar with. I caught my fiar share of Bows right where the Taylor comes into the lake.

------------------
lucky7

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

We use two lines here and if we're on a serious pike mission a tip-up goes down quick with a shiner or sucker, a big one.

Then it's a big jigging rap/nilsmaster or an agressive heavy spoon. Early season I like inside turns next to a shallow flat with green weeds.

The pike are super agressive for early season ice. So work the jigging bait or spoon and run the breakline next to the weed edge. The pike will tell you what they want if you pay close attention and watch your LX3 or MarCum Underwater VS for reactions to what you're doing.

I like the hook set so I like to jig for pike most of the time. I've also found jigging to outproduce tip-ups whenever I use the combination at the same time.

Swimming lures or jigging spoons tipped with a minnow or minnow head works good for pike.

Plastics are another option over looked for ice fishing pike. Plastics are new to the pike and I've found them eager to attack them. Large tubes or twister tails work well. You can tip them with a minnow but I've done well with just the plain plastic too. I'm looking forward to tipping these plastics with Bio Bait this winter, I think it will catch some fish!

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 12-03-2003).]